Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: screw powerade

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ultimately, where possible, make the more natural decision. Just my humble opinion. I used to be a heavy sucralose user. No more. Feel much better. Not science.

As far as "fructose" inference; just a sugar, YES, but that is naturally occuring. High Fructose corn syrup is not a "naturally" occurring sugar. Read about the process. It has a different glycemic index, and god knows what else. Leave to our race to develop a cheap synthetic sugar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    Ultimately, where possible, make the more natural decision.
    What is natural?
    Seriously, how much processing can be done to product to still be "natural"?

- Sugar in the sugar cane, once it is out of the cane it is no longer natural
    - Water is not sweet, once you add sweetener it is not natural
    - Water out of a reservoir - no decontamination, just bugs, feces, etc.
    - Raw meat bitten right off the cow's back
    - Cyanide from cherry pits

"Natural" does not equal good for you.
    Attention to what you put in your pie hole may be.

Happy Trails

screw powerade

For me, PowerAde, or any other common hydration drink, is refreshing and beneficial option on any ride over about 90 minutes in hot, sunny, sweaty weather. And PowerAde definitely has electrolytes.... more sodium than regular Gatorade, for instance. But I try to stay away from it and the calories on shorter rides. In my opinion, there are also better options than sucrose-based drinks. I also have gastrointernal issues on a lot of high fructose sugars ( ie regular GatorAde or PowerAde) during intense, extended exercise such as six hour triathlons, so something like GatorAde Endurance formula works better. On long rides I take a CamelBack of icy pure water, but will also freeze a bottle of Skratch Labs or coconut water. Dr Lim's extensive practical research on endurance nutrition and hydration that resulted in the Skratch formula makes a lot sense to me, and works for me in Arizona hot Summer riding.

YMMV.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterider View Post
    Too many tums can give you kidney stones guy be aware.
    Truth, spoken from experience.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    lol crit. I would assume you wouldn't eat bugs (which IS ok) FECES raw meat. If you can't decipher what is inferred by "natural" there are lots of ways to get better informed.

If you prefer to eat chemicals that you feel safe, god bless America lol.

Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    What is natural?
    Seriously, how much processing can be done to product to still be "natural"?

- Sugar in the sugar cane, once it is out of the cane it is no longer natural
    - Water is not sweet, once you add sweetener it is not natural
    - Water out of a reservoir - no decontamination, just bugs, feces, etc.
    - Raw meat bitten right off the cow's back
    - Cyanide from cherry pits

"Natural" does not equal good for you.
    Attention to what you put in your pie hole may be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    FDC Red. Enjoy! Bromelain. Enjoy! Many ingredients here in U.S. Banned in most countries! Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Everyday doctors and scientist come out with something thats bad for us, one day its good for us the next day its bad for us.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    @socal, yeah, now fishoils is the latest target. I used the word "natural" but maybe should have used "healthy" or "commonsense" for tards that cant infer what is meant by a good choice.

mtbr member
    lol crit. I would assume you wouldn't eat bugs (which IS ok) FECES raw meat. If you can't decipher what is inferred by "natural" there are lots of ways to get better informed.

If you prefer to eat chemicals that you feel safe, god bless America lol.
    I think you can define "natural" to mean not significantly chemically changed from the plant or animal it came from, other than cooking it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Or just use common sense...which isn't always so common.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think you can define "natural" to mean not significantly chemically changed from the plant or animal it came from, other than cooking it.
    What is significantly chemically changed?
    - Enzymatic process: Cheese, beer - both not cooked and both significantly different from milk and grain.
    - Supercritical fluid extraction: Non-heat separation process. Removing caffeine from coffee beans. Is the caffeine extract natural? Is the decaffeinated coffee bean natural?
    - "natural" flavors: are extracted from various plants. These are accepted as natural, but how is something separated from its origin plant really be natural?
    - Orange juice: Volatiles are stripped prior to pasteurization, then added back (or sold at a premium price) after heat treatment. Is this natural?

Although one may think the term, "natural," makes common sense, there are everyday products demonstrating short comings of common knowledge.

This is all in the interest of fun. I don't think we need to resort to implications of ignorance that one may infer as a personal attack.

Trail Prospector
    For those that want to learn about HFCS (high fructose corn sweetener) these (edited) links;
    1) dispel a current marketing campaign.
    2) explains how it came to be.
    3) why it's bad for our bodies.

The Truth About High Fructose Corn Syrup - The Harmful Effects - YouTube

High Fructose Corn Syrup (Killer Sweetener) - YouTube

Dr. Mark's Minute - High Fructose Corn Syrup is POISON Reason #1 - YouTube

For those lacking hours to read, and digest the facts; here's a quick synopsis of lipo-genisis, and why HFCS is evil.
    All consumption is based on 120 calories, and the # shown represents the calories undigested that
    remain inside your body to cause cumulative damage.

Ethanol (alcohol) 16 / Excessive consumption, cumulative effects often causes liver damage (cirrhosis).
    HFCS (high fructose corn sweetener) 24 / Unable to fully process, accumulates in the liver to cause NAFLD -
    (non-alcohol fatty liver damage) and is a primary concern of obesity, diabetes, and insulin resistance.

Both sucrose, and glucose are fully digestable, and in limited amounts does not cause cumulative damage.
    Numerous studies refute the FDA's claim, and processed food mfg's advertising that all sugar IS sugar.
    Yes, folks (IMHO) - HFCS is truly evil.
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 08-01-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: incorrect link was posted / revised.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    LMAO. But yeah, I don't drink orange juice UNLESS I squeeze it! Read ALL ingredients. Cheese is a natural process to make BUT look into: RENNET. Leave it to us F Up humans to take ...there's that word again NATURAL cheese...add CALF GUTS to it!!! WTF!

If you eat cheese you aren't VEGAN likely. Because someone decided to add RENNET to it! You can buy cheese without (very expensive) or non animal rennet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    What is significantly chemically changed?
    - Enzymatic process: Cheese, beer - both not cooked and both significantly different from milk and grain.
    - Supercritical fluid extraction: Non-heat separation process. Removing caffeine from coffee beans. Is the caffeine extract natural? Is the decaffeinated coffee bean natural?
    - "natural" flavors: are extracted from various plants. These are accepted as natural, but how is something separated from its origin plant really be natural?
    - Orange juice: Volatiles are stripped prior to pasteurization, then added back (or sold at a premium price) after heat treatment. Is this natural?
    - Enzymatic process: those chemical changes are made by micro-organisms, i.e. mini animals.
    - removing caffeine etc.: you haven't chemically altered the food by removing caffeine, you've just taken some chemicals out.
    - natural flavours / volatiles: they were still produced by plants, even if they are removed.

The point is that we should try to eat food whose organic chemistry has been altered as little as possible by non-biological processes. If it's altered by biochemical processes from living beings then that is what our bodies (enzymes) have evolved to deal with. Shuffling the different chemicals around in processing should be fine because we aren't altering them.

mtbr member
    If you eat cheese you aren't VEGAN likely. Because someone decided to add RENNET to it!
    And also due to it being made from milk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    And also due to it being made from milk.
    But milk is a vegetable! It goes straight from the grass in the cow's mouth to its udder.

mtbr member
    Then how come it's not green?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This does not support this:
    For those lacking 1 hour to digest the facts; here's a quick synopsis, and why HFCS is evil.
    Or have any discussion of this (I don't understand what your calculations are or what they are attempting to demonstrate):
    All are based on 120 calories, and the # represents the amount that remain undigested.

Ethanol (alcohol) 16 / Excessive consumption, cumulative effects may cause liver damage (cirrhosis).
    HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) 24 / Inability to fully process, accumulates in the liver to cause NAFLD -
    (non-alcohol fatty liver damage) and is a primary concern of obesity, diabetes, and insulin resistance.

Both sucrose, and fructose are fully digested. Does not cause cumulative damage, and this study
    refutes the FDA's claim, and food mfg's advertising that all sugar IS sugar. Yes, folks HFCS is truly evil.
    In fact, pages 21 and 28 say you can use HFCS and sugar interchangeably. The power point says too much sweetened beverages (page 39), eating more across the board (page 28), and other factors (page 50) are causing obesity.

There is no support for a general statement that HFCS is evil or HFCS is the sole cause of obesity.

Where is your HFCS is evil evidence?

See, this is fun. We are going out, researching and reading to make our own informed decisions - not following the cattle drive of food marketing.

Trail Prospector

Re: screw powerade

^ Did I link to the wrong study? Years ago, I attended a seminar that gave the synopsis provided. Never stated that HFCS was the sole source of obesity, know that any diet high in sugars is bad, and apologize if the link's incorrect.

[edit] updated original link.

Always better to read than trust our media.

(by phone)
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 08-01-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Some are just being argumentative for argument sake. No need to try to unconvince you. Please HFCS away. Coca Cola on sale at your local grocery. There are some safe reports on thalidimide as well

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    New SUPERFOOD...Loaded with POTASIUM, Complex Carbs, Fiber, traces of protein Vit C, some simple carbs...but very expensive:

Calories 119

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 0.17g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0.044g 0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.071g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.003g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 10mg 0%
    Potassium 692mg
    Total Carbohydrate 26.71g 9%
    Dietary Fiber 4.1g 16%
    Sugars 1.96g
    Protein 2.86g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 56%
    Calcium 2% Iron 5%

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Some are just being argumentative for argument sake. No need to try to unconvince you.
    Sort of. Really just trying to make informed decisions based on facts.

Your choice to avoid HFCS is fine. Your choice does not render another person's choice wrong.

New SUPERFOOD...
    White potato? here

Someone just invent white potatoes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    nope, but I did just patented it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you did, it was out of class 424 - not 426. They let everything out these days.

Good luck with trying to enforce that patent. I found your composition in a single search in about 5 seconds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Damn, can't get one by Crit lol. I love potatoes in my diet...great superfood for extreme cycling!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast