mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Salt crystallizes on face from sweating?

Anyone else out there get this after a good workout/ride? Its those streaks of white dried salt that show up on clothes, camelback etc., but I get them on my face as well.

And if so is it normal?

My diet is fairly healthy without a lot of processed foods, and I rarely add any salt to my diet. Im pretty standard build 5'10", 165 lbs.

Workin for the weekend!
    I get it, it's normal. Lose too much salt and you get crampy, balance it with an electrolyte replacement bevvie like Gatorade or similar...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Perfectly normal. Sounds like you're a salty sweater, which means you may require more electrolytes to stay properly balanced, especially on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep it's normal. It was one of my brother's complaints out in the field (Army). Hydrate + Gatorade.

mtbr member
    Wow I thought I was the only person this happened to. I tend to get this on my face, arms, and legs. It's kinda weird but never seemed to affect my riding unless it's gotten in my eyes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Wow I thought I was the only person this happened to. I tend to get this on my face, arms, and legs. It's kinda weird but never seemed to affect my riding unless it's gotten in my eyes.
    Yea the eyes are the worst, especially because I wear contacts. I try to remember to wipe my face with my shirt at every stop to keep this from happening.

Good to know Im not the only heavy salt sweater

mtbr member
    I guess it's normal when the surrounding air is very dry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I get salt buildup on my helmet straps.

Happens to me too. I think you're losing more than salt though. It's a release of myriad electrolytes and they need to be replenished. I'd stay away from Gatorade, especially the orange flavor. My go to is coconut water. Rehydrates super well and tasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Happens to me too. I think you're losing more than salt though. It's a release of myriad electrolytes and they need to be replenished. I'd stay away from Gatorade, especially the orange flavor. My go to is coconut water. Rehydrates super well and tasty.
    Interesting...is this something that is bottled and sold? or are you making this yourself..

Im always up for trying to improve my hydration in new ways.

Bottled and sold. It has recently become a fad too so there are a lot of new brands and flavors out there. My usual one to purchase is whatever says on the ingredients "coconut water". Sometimes I can only find the ones with coconut water and bits of flesh, that's okay with me too. Whole Foods has one that I like. It comes in a big can and has some kids on the front I think. Most gas stations carry one or two brands as well. Just make sure to read the ingredients so you know what you're drinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Perfectly normal

mtbr member
    It's normal. Salt is always released in sweat and when it dries it leaves a white residue.