Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    U sayin' Bolt ?

Raw Tumeric Root is POWERFUL Stuff

Wanted to let y'all in on the fact the raw tumeric root is stoking my life.

I do not want to sound like a stupid commercial but I am truly glad to be chewing up these roots. It really helps combat inflammation and generally just makes me feel good. I can work out harder and be more active during recovery and every day activties.

20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

Fresh Yellow Turmeric 1lb:Amazon:Grocery & Gourmet Food

I clean up 10-15 grams of root with a knife, rinse it off and chew it up. Taste is strong but totally bearable and I can enjoy the wake up and go feeling (like taking a shot of tequila!)

mtbr member
    I take it every day, but I take in in capsules. Turmeric stains pretty bad.
    I had no idea it helped with recovery, but that's good to know. Anti-inflammatory, so yeah that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Tumeric is indeed great stuff! Fantastic for recovery.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: Raw Tumeric Root is POWERFUL Stuff

I juice it withother fruits and veggies. Works great.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post

I clean up 10-15 grams of root with a knife, rinse it off and chew it up. Taste is strong but totally bearable and I can enjoy the wake up and go feeling (like taking a shot of tequila!)

How often do you consume it? How long does 1lb last you?

Thanks!

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I eat it almost everyday, 1lb will last 1-2 months of daily use. I ordered 3lbs at a time, so as to only pay shipping once.

It tastes potent and stains just a little bit, but water easily clears up both.

mtbr member
    What would you recommend as a complimentary flavor? I make smoothies and would probably blend this with other fruits,etc.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    What would you recommend as a complimentary flavor? I make smoothies and would probably blend this with other fruits,etc.
    I actually never tried putting it in my smoothie before but I might try pineapple/strawberry with carrot juice.

Would likely not be good in blueberry/banana with hemp milk but who knows

pin it
    I have taken tumeric daily in capsule form since my cancer diagnosis in 2010. I was not aware of raw tumeric and intake as you described. I'm sure the raw form is very powerful and it seems like you are benefiting from the results. Good to know!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I eat it almost everyday, 1lb will last 1-2 months of daily use. I ordered 3lbs at a time, so as to only pay shipping once.

Does it rot? How are you keeping the other two pounds fresh?

mtbr member

Re: Raw Tumeric Root is POWERFUL Stuff

You can throw it into the freezer for longevity. I use cinnamon in my smoothie to balance strong tastes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I have taken tumeric daily in capsule form since my cancer diagnosis in 2010. I was not aware of raw tumeric and intake as you described. I'm sure the raw form is very powerful and it seems like you are benefiting from the results. Good to know!
    I hope you are in remission. It's good to hear of people taking control of their own health via natural means. I hope it's helping. I take 2400 mg spread over three times /day, as I am at risk (heredity) for colon cancer. Am I good? Should I increase? decrease? go to the raw form? Thanks
    Last edited by pequin; 02-14-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: edited non sequitur / tmi

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    Does it rot? How are you keeping the other two pounds fresh?
    I just keep it in a Ziploc bag in the fridge, well into the second pound it is fresh as new.
    The flesh is very similar to ginger but the skin is thinner, I peel off any skin that looks bruised but chow the rest.

Cyclelicious, keep going hard, you are inspirational to us all. I heard of people taking the capsules but I found the raw stuff was less expensive and since it can, itself, sprout a living plant I figured to dig into it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Supposed to be very good when used whilst cooking cauliflower. Read about it a few places. Enhances the properties of Cauliflower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Goes in all curries aswell.

mtbr member
    ...It tastes potent and stains just a little bit, but water easily clears up both.
    Got mine today..taste potent is an understatement. They taste like a combination of carrots, ginger and Satan's A-Hole.

I'm going to have to mix it with other fruits and veggies to eat it.
    Last edited by Chase1996; 02-15-2013 at 04:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Just an FYI..it appears that supplementing black pepper (pepperine) with turmeric, it's absorbtion is increased considerably.

Why turmeric and black pepper? Monamifood's Blog

mtbr member
    ...one more point (although it appears I am the only one still following this thread :0 )

I have found that a combo of Orange Juice, Pineapples and Strawberries can make the flavor more tolerable for those who may not enjoy it in it's "raw" form.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Good Stuff Chase! Sorry the taste isn't rubbing you the right way... maybe you just got a really 'good' batch

mtbr member
    I'm watching this thread - just soaking up info here, as I have none of my own to provide.
    Hoping to find a local source of the stuff.

mtbr member
    To be clear...the flavor isn't bad...just strong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks knutso for the heads up re: turmeric. I ordered a lb from Amazon and it helps me with recovery. I like that it also has many other benefits.

mtbr member
    If you have a big oriental market in your area they may carry raw tumeric. We have a POM pacific ocean market and they have it for $5 a pound. The taste is very strong.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Just to update:
    Went through all three lbs of orange tumeric, the end of the last bag was starting to lose freshness. I was eating about 15-20 grams a day.

Purchased another three pounds, this time of white tumeric (curcuma zedoaria) The white stuff tastes waaayy more potent but does not stain at all. I upped my intake to about 20-30 grams a day, and the potency + added dosage makes my belly hum (in a good rootsy sort of way). Seems to provide the same anti-inflammatory benefits and general feeling of well-being. From what I sparsely read it is more potent as an anti-oxident than the orange.

Now looking for other roots to try, gonna get my all natural "Lance-cocktail" going

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah the taste is really not unbearable... I just threw some in my pressure cooker with brown rice to make yellow brown rice! Also added to my soups... but i always like to take a bite of it every now and then... just keep an eye on your teeth for discoloration... but to be honest.. that discoloration is actually quite harmless and will combat inflammation in your mouth.. saving you dentist trips... among the myriad other benefits that raw turmeric ingestion will provide you. I'm not so well read on the effects turmeric may have on cancer.. but that's worth looking into! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast