Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    The cinnamon you are using has also been said to help regulate your blood sugar, among other beneficial things... one of them being making your smoothies taste good!

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Good article! I never knew that! Yay!

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4

    Love Tumeric...

    Just happened to stumble upon this site while searching for more info on turmeric. I just started using this last month to help with my chronic back pain (herniated/bulging discs lumbar) and I can testify that this herb really works. For the first time in 9 nine years I am pain-free so long as I use the root. I slice a couple of pieces and put in my iced coffee and eat the slices when I've finished drinking all my coffee. In conjunction with turmeric I also use ginger root that I dice up and put in my oatmeal every morning and on top of my cinnamon raisin muffins. Also, put the diced ginger in my water that I drink all day.

    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    Just to update:
    Went through all three lbs of orange tumeric, the end of the last bag was starting to lose freshness. I was eating about 15-20 grams a day.

    Purchased another three pounds, this time of white tumeric (curcuma zedoaria) The white stuff tastes waaayy more potent but does not stain at all. I upped my intake to about 20-30 grams a day, and the potency + added dosage makes my belly hum (in a good rootsy sort of way). Seems to provide the same anti-inflammatory benefits and general feeling of well-being. From what I sparsely read it is more potent as an anti-oxident than the orange.

    Now looking for other roots to try, gonna get my all natural "Lance-cocktail" going

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    50
    It's just crazy how many good things turmeric does. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv, and I feel like such a hippie saying this, but I wish I could just stick it in syringe and inject it right into tumors, I bet it would work a lot of the time (please still go see your doctor if you have a tumor). My aunt has breast cancer and she's going through all this chemo and it it's just painful to watch considering that maybe something as simple as that could work, of course it would be much less expensive than the current treatments so... Anyway 20-30 grams a day? I was looking at my jar of turmeric powder and that would equal about half the jar! Is there a guideline or how much you are supposed to ingest?

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,034
    20-30 grams is fresh tumeric which will weight a lot more than powder.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    50
    Yeah I suppose you are right, I guess I have to get a scale, but even then I wonder what's the difference between eating 5 grams, 50, 100? Just have a whole root a day for breakfast heh?

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by tmabiker View Post
    It's just crazy how many good things turmeric does. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv, and I feel like such a hippie saying this, but I wish I could just stick it in syringe and inject it right into tumors, I bet it would work a lot of the time (please still go see your doctor if you have a tumor). My aunt has breast cancer and she's going through all this chemo and it it's just painful to watch considering that maybe something as simple as that could work, of course it would be much less expensive than the current treatments so... Anyway 20-30 grams a day? I was looking at my jar of turmeric powder and that would equal about half the jar! Is there a guideline or how much you are supposed to ingest?
    I hope that your aunt is doing better now. Like you I am a layman but do believe that are diseases are environmentally charged. On that note, if there is a health food store, Whole Foods or Market Basket in your area you would be able to purchase the root. Personally, I did not get any relieve from the spice. I eat daily 1/2 inch of the root and the only staining that has occurred is on the gloves I wear when I remove the top skin.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    51
    Would just normal cooking turmeric offer a similar benefit as to the raw root you are all referring too?

    I guess not as its been roasted/dried.

    Just thought id ask.

    Might have to try some of this Tumeric and Ginger. I can get raw Ginger at my local grocer not sure on the raw roots thou.

    Would i need a health food store or maybe an Asian grocer for that?

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4

    Raw turmeric root

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gravity View Post
    Would just normal cooking turmeric offer a similar benefit as to the raw root you are all referring too?

    I guess not as its been roasted/dried.

    Just thought id ask.

    Might have to try some of this Tumeric and Ginger. I can get raw Ginger at my local grocer not sure on the raw roots thou.

    Would i need a health food store or maybe an Asian grocer for that?

    Mr. Gravity you can find the roots (turmeric and ginger) at any Market Basket, Whole Foods, Asian/Indian grocery stores. I have found recipes online for turmeric tea and other recipes that incorporate the root various dishes. If you do any juicing you can include it in that process. Personally, I prefer to eat it raw like a carrot.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by shesnothere View Post
    Mr. Gravity you can find the roots (turmeric and ginger) at any Market Basket, Whole Foods, Asian/Indian grocery stores. I have found recipes online for turmeric tea and other recipes that incorporate the root various dishes. If you do any juicing you can include it in that process. Personally, I prefer to eat it raw like a carrot.
    how do you eat it raw like a carrot? the stuff is so strong and i love strong spicy pungent food, i put about a 1/4 teaspoon ground fresh in my organic veegie juice in the morning. if i go more than 1/4 it really get strong. eating the raw root is hard to believe . lol

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4
    Mr. Gravity, I guess the important factor in all of this no matter how we consume the root is that it works. I can't imagine not having this as part of my daily regimen-the chronic pain in my lower back would have me tethered to the bed or couch and in tears. Anyway, enjoy your veegie juice and horray for all of us new turmeric users!

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    60
    Turmeric

    I wasn't aware of all of these benefits...going to add to my diet.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    51
    i realize this is an older thread, but to the OP, how does the Tumeric from amazon compare to what you would get in the store?

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    20-30 grams is fresh tumeric which will weight a lot more than powder.
    How big of a piece is 20-30 grams?

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,516
    I got my two pounds in the mail today from Amazon. It came in two bags and it was moist. So, I'm letting it dry out. I took about a 2.5" piece and scrubed it under some hot water really good and ate it. I doesn't taste nearly as bad as I thought it would.

    How long will it keep in a zip lock bag in the fridge?

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    755
    It's gonna give you CANCER MAN!!

    Just kidding, it seems to be pretty good stuff. I get empty gel caps from the vitamin store and use a straw and chopstick like a piston to fill up with turmeric powder, along with pepper since this aids absorption. Eat a capsule every day with the juice in the evening.

  17. #42
    Epic eater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    325
    Interesting. I take turmeric capsules often and always throw it in rice/quinoa/millet just because it doesn't change the flavor but does make things a nice yellow color.

    I've never bought the raw root to gnaw on...will have to try that.
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    36
    I've been using Turmeric root for a few months to aid in recovery after rides. I make this drink
    Turmeric Tea Recipe | Wellness Mama

    I find it's a really tolerable way to consume the Turmeric, and it tastes super good/having something warm after a cold winter ride is great. I don't have Ghee most of the time, so I just use Kerrygold butter (yum!)...I could drink this stuff all day

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolling View Post
    I've been using Turmeric root for a few months to aid in recovery after rides. I make this drink
    Turmeric Tea Recipe | Wellness Mama

    I find it's a really tolerable way to consume the Turmeric, and it tastes super good/having something warm after a cold winter ride is great. I don't have Ghee most of the time, so I just use Kerrygold butter (yum!)...I could drink this stuff all day
    Thanks so much for posting this recipe, I made it tonight and my wife and I both really enjoyed it! I used the homemade coconut milk too, and it was easy to make! I have been using a tsp of turmeric (and Ceylon cinnamon) pretty much everyday when I have my green smoothly. But now I can also use both the spices a different way, thanks again!

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,996
    Does anyone get joint pain after a good does? I know it sounds silly but every time I have had a good amount in food I get sore joints, the opposite of what it is supposed to do lol. But I will say that it was powder type from bulk food store. maybe a quality thing

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    50
    Maybe it is interfering with other meds? Things like turmeric have real effects like a manufactured drug can so than can interact with manmade things.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,996
    No meds here. I will give it a shot again cause I love it!

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    755
    I stuff turmeric in a pill capsule every day (some pepper in there too because they say it adds to its effects) and have it along with the juice I make (organic apple, orange, kale, carrot, ginger, lemon, celery) as well as a fish oil capsule. I do eat a small amount of meat, generally only organic. Sockeye salmon every few days that I share with my dog. Naans every evening usually with an egg and olive oil. Yoghurt and cereal and banana for breakfast, and I do eat out for lunch usually, usually sushi which probably isn't the best thing to eat but oh well. I have never felt better. I think I'm 42, losing count, and I literally feel better than when I was 20 because I didn't eat so well then. No problems with turmeric here.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    755
    Oh yeah, they say prices are in creasing here in Canada but I can get organic kale bunches at Whole Foods for $2.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,044
    I've been consuming turmeric (mostly in pill powder from) for roughly 24 years, I'm now 42.I also occasionally consume the root in juices. It is indeed one of the most powerful anti inflammatory compounds known. Inflammation being the mechanism of all disease. However, BLACK CUMMIN SEED OIL is orders of magnitude more powerful. Look into it. Sulfur also plays an important role in combating inflation/degeneration.

    Hopefully this does not come across as preachy, but anybody with cancer or concerned about cancer read up on quercetin. There have been 3 recent quality studies showing its ability to obliterate cancer cells. Especially estrogenic cancers. Also, iodine plays an important (but relatively unknown) role in cancer.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •