Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have never had joint pain after taking it either? I started with a 1/2 tsp powdered turmeric in my green smoothies but upped that to a tsp about a year or so ago. I have since started adding a 1/4 tsp ground black pepper and about an 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper as they say you need pepper for absorption.

The pepper really gives the smoothies and extra zap I really like. I also use a small chunk of fresh ginger and tsp of Ceylon cinnamon. I also do oil pulling (coconut oil) for 20 minutes a day when I get up in the morning. I normally get sick a couple of times September thru April but have yet to get sick this year. I am not sure if these things have anything to do with it but I am not changing anything!

mtbr member
    What the heck, ordered some powdered Tumeric today.

The reversion to hippy continues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks thread starter! I kinda like this stuff. I typically can be skeptical about these type of things. I have the powdered capsules, 1-2 a day, joints feel pretty good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwoodz View Post
    I typically can be skeptical about these type of things.
    The Indians apparently have lower cancer rates in the digestive system from all the turmeric they eat, but higher lung cancer etc from all the smoking they do.

mtbr member
    I put it in a steeping tea capsule with shredded garlic and ginger then add a cinnamon stick for the best tea ever

Dirt Abuser
    I eliminated wheat/flour (basically gluten) from my diet and to my surprise, my joint 'soreness' in my left knee has subsided quite a bit. (I was skeptical at first)

Wheat is an inflammatory (research it) in the body and will increase joint pain/inflammation. (If you have arthritis, wheat products makes it worse) Eliminating wheat products is also called the anti-inflammatory diet from what I learned. I used to eat all types of cereal, bread and pasta just about every week, I was a flour/wheat addict...

Now getting carbs from potatoes, corn, quinoa, oats and rice.

GL
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    Interesting....

This is getting off topic from turmeric but the other day I singed my finger on the wood stove door and immediately put lavender oil on it. Amazing, the burn just vanished, no pain whatsoever, I forgot I even had it. The first time I tried it I was skeptical but it works. I'm almost tempted to burn myself and not put it on just as an experiment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bail_Monkey View Post
    I eliminated wheat/flour (basically gluten) from my diet and to my surprise, my joint 'soreness' in my left knee has subsided quite a bit. (I was skeptical at first)

Wheat is an inflammatory (research it) in the body and will increase joint pain/inflammation. (If you have arthritis, wheat products makes it worse) Eliminating wheat products is also called the anti-inflammatory diet from what I learned. I used to eat all types of cereal, bread and pasta just about every week, I was a flour/wheat addict...

Now getting carbs from potatoes, corn, quinoa, oats and rice.

GL
    They make some bread that is flourless. It's made from sprouted grains and no refined sugar. It's called Ezekiel bread. I'm wondering if you can eat that. It's a little dryer and more bland than real bread. But, after you get used to it, it actually has a better taste. It's a more natural taste instead of a toxic taste.

Sprouted Grain Bread | Ezekiel Bread | Sprouted Bread

mtbr member
    An observation about Tumeric that I want to share. After I eat the raw root I brush my teeth, because of the yellow it leaves behind. It turns my toothbrush yellow. So, I started using a different tooth brush for the tumeric brushing. One morning I used that toothbrush, and I noticed it made my mouth feel fresh all day long. And, I find that to be true whenever I use my yellow stained toothbrush in the morning. So now, I just use it every morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    An observation about Tumeric that I want to share. After I eat the raw root I brush my teeth, because of the yellow it leaves behind. It turns my toothbrush yellow. So, I started using a different tooth brush for the tumeric brushing. One morning I used that toothbrush, and I noticed it made my mouth feel fresh all day long. And, I find that to be true whenever I use my yellow stained toothbrush in the morning. So now, I just use it every morning.
    Does it turn your teeth yellow?

I noticed that if I go to bed right after brushing my teeth with regular toothpaste I get bad morning breath but if I wait a bit or go to bed without brushing it isn't so bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Does it turn your teeth yellow?

I noticed that if I go to bed right after brushing my teeth with regular toothpaste I get bad morning breath but if I wait a bit or go to bed without brushing it isn't so bad.
    Let me look......... No they seem to be pretty white. But, like I said, I brush right after eating it. Tumeric seems to me to be like a natural cleanser.

mtbr member
    I just googled Tumeric Cleanser, and there's a lot of it out there.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth , I went into a middle eastern market looking foot turmeric . Found it for 3.99 pound . The big thing I noticed is how fresh it is . Talked to a middle easterner is was doing business with and he told me they eat it at every meal ..made me think that's why it's so fresh at there markets ..what I noticed with the freshness is I just peal it and eat it as it has a sweeter taste

mtbr member
    Ohhhhh!! I'm almost wanting to experiment as well lol. Thanks for sharing that. I have a bottle at home but never know what to do with it other than burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Interesting....

This is getting off topic from turmeric but the other day I singed my finger on the wood stove door and immediately put lavender oil on it. Amazing, the burn just vanished, no pain whatsoever, I forgot I even had it. The first time I tried it I was skeptical but it works. I'm almost tempted to burn myself and not put it on just as an experiment.

mtbr member
    So I finally bought some raw turmeric root fingers. I chewed on one, not too bad. Then I boiled it up with some sweet potato spears and then chopped it up into little cubes and added it and the sweet potato to the couscous mix I got in the Casbah box. Really good, and my dog loves it too! But that stuff sure does stain, the metal knife is stained just from cutting up one finger. And my fingers...

The taste is something you get used to and don't really notice after a while. I think I'll start chewing on the raw fingers every day and cook them up with cauliflower too. And I'll also start growing it in the garden, apparently it is a beautiful plant.

Cyclelicious, I didn't know you had cancer in 2010. I come from a long lineage of cancer so I'm up against that, but I'm going to fight it with everything I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Let me look......... No they seem to be pretty white. But, like I said, I brush right after eating it. Tumeric seems to me to be like a natural cleanser.
    I noticed how yellow my whole mouth becomes after eating the raw root, aside: you actually start to like the taste after a while. So I googled it and apparently turmeric WHITENS your teeth! Crazy but true apparently. I have somewhat yellow teeth to begin with and I'm glad I didn't cave in and get the whitening strips which cause other problems. We'll see how the natural whitening goes.

I just have to be careful now because the toothbrush and toothpaste when I brush my teeth in the evening is so yellow I think it will stain the white sink. I'll have to brush in the kitchen stainless sink.

Is there anything this stuff CAN'T do??

9 lives
    A heads up to the peeps taking turmeric, be mindful that it interacts negatively with some medications

Turmeric is an extremely beneficial natural ingredient, which is believed to be an alternative cure for numerous different illnesses. Namely, as its use has fewer side-effects, it is often advised as a natural variant of medications and drugs.

However, in some rare cases, turmeric can cause severe negative effects on the health, if used excessively, or if combined with certain drugs.

When referring to turmeric, people usually think of the ground-up root of this plant, which has been used as a culinary spice, as a medicine, and in ceremonies in India for more than four millennia.

Numerous studies have proven the health benefits of turmeric, even though not all of them are scientifically backed- up.

Most of its properties are due to its active ingredient, curcumin, which has been found to have powerful anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and anti-thrombotic properties.

Due to its beneficial action, numerous people use turmeric in combination with other medication, or as an alternative to their prescribed drugs. This is mostly due to their wish to avoid the negative effects and complications of the excessive use of pharmaceuticals.

However, turmeric can be dangerous if taken in combination with some specific drugs, and may cause harmful and severe side-effects.

Sometimes, its most advantageous properties may become dangerous if combined with drugs. Thus, its anti-thrombotic property which reduces blood clots may endanger the health if combined with blood-thinning medicines, like aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin, or clopidogrel (Plavix). Namely, their combination actually boosts the effect of the blood-thinning drugs and thus raises the risk of bleeding.

Turmeric also interacts with diabetes medications, which reduce the blood sugar. Namely, it boosts their effect, and thus elevates the risk of low blood sugar. As a result, you may experience numerous side –effects, like blurred vision, delirium, impaired cognitive function, anxiety, and shakiness.

The consumption of turmeric may also lead to allergic reactions, such as outbreaks like rashes or hives, and may even cause shortness of breath and anaphylaxis.

Furthermore, turmeric should not be combined with drugs that reduce stomach acid, as the body will actually increase its production of stomach acid, and thus, lead to nausea, stomach pain, bloating, and esophagus damage.

These drugs which lower the stomach acid include Omeprazole, Famotidine (Pepcid), Cimetidine (Tagamet), and Ranitidine (Zantac).

Therefore, if you take turmeric at the same time as some drug or medicine, or in case you experience some allergic reaction, you should replace it with some other natural alternative, or reduce the amount of turmeric you consume.

Sauce: Don?t Ever Use Turmeric If You?re on Any of The Following Medications - Healthy Food House
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Why didn't the article mention lowering the dose of these medications under guidance from the prescribing doctor?

Eh, what do I know?

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesand View Post
    Why didn't the article mention lowering the dose of these medications under guidance from the prescribing doctor?

Eh, what do I know?
    When in doubt always check with doctor or pharmacist
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Depending on what agencies stats you subscribe to listening to your doctor is the is #1 #3 and #4 leading cause of death in America. We need a paradigm shift
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Yeah, because we lived so long before the advent of modern medicine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12