Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Unfortunately your experience is not the norm for most truly addicted smokers (like me). Like PBNinja and other long term smokers, I could not have a single cig because it kicks the dependency into full gear immediately and I would be back to 20 a day. I quit several times for 1+year and fell back to the habit each time because I fooled myself into believing that I was totally over tobacco and could have 'just one'.
    I get it. On the contrary, one year is a pretty small amount of time in comparison to a "long term" smoker. I didn't have a smoke for 10 plus years when I tried one. I had only been smoking for about 10 years. I also knew there was no way in hell I was going to have two. I also get that we are all different. The true takeaway to the story, is without the addiction, cigarettes and cigars taste like shiat.

One thing is for sure, quitting smoking now is easier than it was in the recent past. The times I struggled to quit, my crew would smoke in the truck on the way to the job site. In a truck for 30 minutes with 2nd hand smoke is pretty hard to take when you are in the throes of withdrawal. Even bars in Oregon are now smoke free. Back in the day, if you wanted to quit you had to change your whole life to avoid exposure for at least a month or two, maybe more depending.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have been tobacco free for just over 4 months now.
    I have smoked longer than (I imagine) most MTBR forum members have been alive.
    As such, I didn't ride as much as I like and did have a 20-odd year spot where I did NO cycling of any kind. Since I have joined this forum I have been riding off-on. Last year I transferred and moved to a MUCH more bike friendly area and MUCH more happy about it.

That said I have tried:
    Cold Turkey (lacked the willpower strength)
    Nicorette (did nothing to stop the craving)
    Lozenges (gave me the hic-ups)
    Patches (nothing to stop craving)
    Chantix (suffered from paranoia, anxiety, and the worst horrible nightmares imaginable)

Then I tried e-cigs. No craving, cheaper than smoking and all the above products, can slowly break away from the habits associated with smoking. Started at 18mg nicotine (same as reg cig) and now down to 12-6mg (I mix the juice). I plan on being done completely by June. I breath easier, more energy. still get winded but I have noticed an improvement there. It worked for me, may not do so for you.
    *edit*
    wanted to say last month I did drop to 6mg but cravings started. I immediately went to local vape shop and bought a 12mg juice, problem solved. The flavors are another reason why I am taking my time, I really like them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very cool Whaked. Good luck on your journey. Just think, once you kick it to the curb you will save about $1800/year, or more, if you were smoking one pack a day. After a year, go splurge on a new bike, a trip or something to celebrate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Still no smokes for me since the new year. Everyone in the band still smokes, but it honestly doesn't bother me in the least. Smoke on their clothes and breath smells nasty, but when they are actually smoking it is very non-offensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Still no smokes for me since the new year. Everyone in the band still smokes, but it honestly doesn't bother me in the least. Smoke on their clothes and breath smells nasty, but when they are actually smoking it is very non-offensive.
    I noticed that too. On poker nite duting breaks the cig smoke doesn't bother me. However when a coworker returns from smoke break he smells nasty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Quitting Smoking

I got on the e-cigs, and it worked great for about 6 months.....then all the guys at work would bum smokes on occasion started buying packs and taking it up full time now that I didn't have any, and of course, I slipped a bit. I'm back on the e-cigs now and determined to get in shape. The e-cigs work better if you can stay away from smokers for a while.

mtbr member

Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by PatMc View Post
    I got on the e-cigs, and it worked great for about 6 months.....then all the guys at work would bum smokes on occasion started buying packs and taking it up full time now that I didn't have any, and of course, I slipped a bit. I'm back on the e-cigs now and determined to get in shape. The e-cigs work better if you can stay away from smokers for a while.
    Everything works better if you can stay away from smokers in general, IMO.

mtbr member
    Wow didn't even know this thread was here great read this far. I've been up and down with fighting cigarettes for several months now. Problem I have is for some reason I turn into a prick without even realizing it after about 10-12 hrs of nothing. I have a wife and 2 boys, and my riding plus my health (well still good except lungs lacking obviously) as reasons to quit. But its a fight.

Read earlier in this thread about a book, is it actually worth a crap? Still chewing through the thread, trying cold turkey again tomorrow. I know mindset isn't where it needs to be, will power lacking when stuck indoors all the time cause winter is extra harsh this year.

Chantix not an option mind is not right as it is (childhood etc some things still come out of the dark in my head and mess with me once in a while). Possible side effects not worth risk.

E cigs.do nothing, gum irritates throat, patches make me want to smoke more.

So there's some background, need a way to help break the cycle of my attitude so I don't feel like crap and turn to a cig. Mainly a way to flush my body quickly so I can concentrate on the mental side of this.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member

Quitting Smoking

I quit about 7years ago with the aid of Wellbutrin. This was the crazy pill version of a popular quit smoking drug at the time. Dr. Went this route to get it covered by insurance. Apparently quitting smoking is not covered but crazy is. Good stuff. I was able to quit and the family was able to tolerate me while doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    So there's some background, need a way to help break the cycle of my attitude so I don't feel like crap and turn to a cig. Mainly a way to flush my body quickly so I can concentrate on the mental side of this.

A week long solo backpack or mtb trip, sans tobacco, far enough into the sticks that hitting a Circle-K is not an option. You won't be a jerk to anyone but yourself and will emerge from the woods a clean, mean, fighting machine with no physical addiction. I did this many years ago and it worked perfectly, unfortunately I started smoking again 7 years later but thankfully now am off them again via cold turkey- almost 2 years now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Read the book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Alan Carr, it really helps. Both myself and drummer have had success after reading that book. Its short too, takes about 2-3 hours and its done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Actually the hardest bit of quitting for me was the lack of support or understanding from my wife. I hid the smoking from my parents, ridiculous at 30 years of age.

Whenever my wife was having a monthly visit and the inevitable row would break out her attitude was it was all my fault and "go have a smoke and calm yourself down" was the ignorance I had to contend with. The irony of it was it made me all the more determined to prove the b*tch wrong so she was actually doing me a favour

Good luck to all of you on the quitting path, it's definitely the right way to go. I was that guy who ran to the smoke hut in the p*ssing rain and freezing weather to get my fix, I enjoyed a smoke as much as anyone but I do NOT miss them in the slightest. I've put weight on and feel much better.

As someone else mentioned too, you don't realise how much you stink until you quit and smell other people coming back from a smoke break.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Read the book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Alan Carr.
    I might still have that book somewhere, completely useless IMNSHO.
    "Just follow my steps and you will be smoke free in no time. Just listen to what Phyllis D of nowheresville, USA has to say,..." rinse repeat ad naseum. couldn't get past chapter 2 as I kept expecting him to start talking about the steps.

Last night I woke up completely ****** at myself. I went to the quickie mart and bought a pack of smokes. So I headed downstairs cursing myself, enough to make a sailor blush, and that is really saying something 'cause I was a sailor. I was determined to crumble every stick and toss them in the fireplace. As I stood in my living room still grumbling and calling myself names searching for the offensive product when it hit me.

It was all a dream.

AZ
    banned
    Keep after guys, it does get easier, albeit slowly. Just reminder yourself why you are doing it.

AZ
    banned
    Updates from the quitters??

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Still using the e-cig, haven't had a real one since 12/31/13. I can go hours and hours without even thinking of the e-cig, it's really not the nicotine that gets you, its the other crap they put in there.

Still don't feel much different than before when I smoked, but I did notice I was not gasping as hard after a long fast climb on the trail the other day. I'm also sleeping better (well, at least falling asleep easier, of course I also quit drinking caffeine all day, just some coffee in the AM and an occasional glass or tea or coke at dinner as a treat.

mtbr member
    Resurrecting this thread.

Trying to quit.
    Again.
    Just crossed the 24 hour mark earlier today. Grumpy as hell. Kinda want to bash my head into a wall. Longest I've gone without smoking in the past 18 years or so is three months when I tried to quit a couple years ago. Three months ain't shite to many people, but it was an accomplishment for me at the time. Before that, I had quit for a month at a time maybe 3 times. Getting back on the bike this spring after a long winter of inactivity made me realize how bad of shape my lungs are in. Going cold turkey. Might just go full-on straight-edge cuz drinking makes me want to smoke even worse.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8