Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Quitting Smoking

Ex smoker here too, and did so for far too long.

In the winter, hit the gym! I'd say try to at least work on stretching, yoga, core, and when I say that, I don't mean 10 mins. Do it for an hour a few times a week. Strength train with weights as well.

You would be surprised what it will do for your control. It also will help you recover from what otherwise would be a crash, and survive one.

You have to be over 40 (as am I) and I find this has really helped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    '14 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    I started vaping. I smoked about 1-1.5 packs a day for 17 years. The day I bought my e-cig was the day I quit cigarettes. Y'all say what you will about vaping, but I feel a whole lot better doing that than I ever did smoking.

I've always been in pretty decent shape aside from lung capacity, but I've noticed dramatic improvements in that even, as well as leg muscle, overall energy levels, and other improvements since getting my bike. I still vape 2 years later, but not too heavily shortly before a ride.

If you really wanna quit, you will. But it does take some effort. And some exercise will help. And I haven't found a better form of exercise than MTB. Screw jogging!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just wanna put it out there that I'm an ultra endurance racer now competing in some of the longest and most difficult bike races out there and I used to smoke 2 packs a day.

You can quit if you want to. It really helps if you set goals that contradict smoking!
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    I started vaping. I smoked about 1-1.5 packs a day for 17 years. The day I bought my e-cig was the day I quit cigarettes. Y'all say what you will about vaping, but I feel a whole lot better doing that than I ever did smoking.

I've always been in pretty decent shape aside from lung capacity, but I've noticed dramatic improvements in that even, as well as leg muscle, overall energy levels, and other improvements since getting my bike. I still vape 2 years later, but not too heavily shortly before a ride.

If you really wanna quit, you will. But it does take some effort. And some exercise will help. And I haven't found a better form of exercise than MTB. Screw jogging!
    i used vaping as well. i smoked over a pack a day for 15 years. its been 16months with out a cig for me now. i use a reo grand. anyone interested in going this route should check out a reo. i feel a million times better. next step, get rid of the vape
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2016 Giant Defy 1

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I agree....drop the vapor. Nothing should go into your lungs but pure oxygen now. Smoked 2 packs a day for 22 years, due to also being a meth addict. Been abstinent since 2006 and my lungs and heart is STILL trying to catch up. Not fun. But being on the bike I truly love and will NOT give it up for anything....
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I agree....drop the vapor. Nothing should go into your lungs but pure oxygen now. Smoked 2 packs a day for 22 years, due to also being a meth addict. Been abstinent since 2006 and my lungs and heart is STILL trying to catch up. Not fun. But being on the bike I truly love and will NOT give it up for anything....
    i agree. im working on getting rid of the vape. it was a step in the right direction and got me off cigs. my quit date for cigs was june 4 2013, so my goal is by jun 4 2015 to be done with the vape too
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2016 Giant Defy 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I quit over 10 years ago. IMHO the only way to quit is to just toss the cigs out the window and quit. E-cigs, drugs etc. would have never worked for me because I think once the substitute was gone, I would have gone back. Just be mentally stronger than the cigarette and you will do fine. When you get a craving, just refute it and tell yourself not to have one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbguy123 View Post
    I quit over 10 years ago. IMHO the only way to quit is to just toss the cigs out the window and quit. E-cigs, drugs etc. would have never worked for me because I think once the substitute was gone, I would have gone back. Just be mentally stronger than the cigarette and you will do fine. When you get a craving, just refute it and tell yourself not to have one.
    I used Chantix with very good results, but it sounds like I was one of the lucky ones. I stopped taking it about six weeks before I was supposed to, mostly because I forgot to take it. It was six months Nov 15th the smokes went out the window and I got on a bike for the first time since I was a kid. Just trying to figure out how to keep my hands warm now
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

mtbr member
    When I first joined this forum a few days ago after getting back into mountain biking, I was thinking of starting a "I just quit smoking" thread but found this one! I've smoked 1-2 packs a day for at least 20 years and it's been 3 months since my last cigarette. Reading of everyones stories has been awesome, and alot are like mine, I didn't read that book though.

Around Thanksgiving I had a terrible cold like the plague it started to really hurt to smoke a cig like my lungs were being dipped in battery acid, the coughing and hacking really sucked and my chest/ribcage/back hurt for a few weeks after. I quit smoking then because it hurt so bad and started smoking an e cig the mark ten for a couple weeks, then ditched that too.

My lungs are feeling much better now, I'm trying to learn how to breath again, and yes I coughed up a bunch of multicolored stuff for a while, and felt like crap but it was worth it. My bike has been getting it's work out too. It's happy! And I'm saving a bunch of money, I figure 5-10 bucks a day, and the gov't always raising the "sin taxes" I can keep it to myself and the bike, and not give it to the gov't (I read where the real cost of a pack of cig is around $1, the rest is taxes) Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    How are all you Quitters doing? Lets hear some continuing success stories.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    It's ironic I stumbled across this thread today. I quit today 1 year ago after 20+ years at 1-2 packs a day. I started walking to get healthier not intending to quit a few months prior to quitting. The walking lead to running the that lead to me wondering what I would feel like if I didn't smoke for one day and ran. Well that day was 2/6/14 and I have never looked back. I got bored with running and eventually stopped. My neighbor bought a bike and we talked about it I got one a month later in Oct I have been riding 3-4 times a week every since. I'm on my second bike already started with a HT rockhopper now I'm on a FS Camber. The funny thing is I don't even think about smoking any more. At times I can't even believe I used to smoke.

Good Luck to everyone who is trying to quit. The advice I would give anyone who is trying to quit smoking or lose weight. Stop making it about quitting smoking or losing weight. Make it about being healthier pick one healthy thing to do daily like walk 2 miles. I promise you keep that one thing up the cigarettes and weight will fall off. Let quitting smoking or losing weight be a by product of the healthy process.

mtbr member
    I wonder if the op quit or not (NorCalMike) looked at his profile page - no activity since 9-12

Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery;11751360iro
    Make it about being healthier pick one healthy thing to do daily like walk 2 miles. I promise you keep that one thing up the cigarettes and weight will fall off. Let quitting smoking or losing weight be a by product of the healthy process.
    Good advice there thanks! I've gained a few pounds I think since I quit, been riding the bike alot but only on weekends, will have to do something during the week too.

Quit for 2988 days(8 years, 2 months). I almost smoked a very rare Cuban Davidoff cigar($500/each!) with my stepdad on New Years....but declined, at the last minute. I know myself better - one puff, and it's GAME OVER for me!

I finally lost all 90 pounds gained...thanks to the MTB, and eating about half of what my head tells me to eat.

mtbr member
    One year anniversary today. 29 years, 1-2 packs a day and quit cold turkey.

Treated myself to a new Salsa Blackborow with some of the money that I've saved. Getting 75-100 miles a week in regularly.

It feels really good to get the habit behind me. The cravings have become much easier to manage.

mtbr member
    Congrats reaching the year is a great milestone.

Going on 9 years clean, but still have to annoyingly clear my throat constantly. Wonder if that will ever go away. Before the only "cure" was to have a smoke....not going there!

mtbr member
    Congrats everybody I just passed the 6 month mark myself, and like OddTrickStar I treated myself to a new Ghost Kato with the money I have saved! btw cig taxes are going up another $1 a pack here in NV so glad I quit!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Where the hell is the OP?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Where the hell is the OP?
    Original poster

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery View Post
    Original poster
    Yeah. Where is he? He was here, and then disappeared. If he had a relapse, he might be able to get some moral support here.

mtbr member
    His profile page still says last activity on 09-10-2012 . I'l send him a pm maybe he'll get it.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Tomorrow will be 4 years for me. Hopefully I can make it through the day. lol I'm headed out on a ride to breath like I haven't breathed in years.
    '15 Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec44 View Post
    Tomorrow will be 4 years for me. Hopefully I can make it through the day. lol I'm headed out on a ride to breath like I haven't breathed in years.
    Congrats! I'll be breathing plenty of fireworks smoke tonight on Independence Day!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Found this thread after recently deciding to take biking back up and coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have to quit smoking again if I'm going to take cycling even remotely serious.

I quit a couple years ago using electronic cigs, but then I relapsed this past year like an idiot.

Anyway, I'm going to try again. But I was curious: how long after quitting has it taken people to feel like they are "back to normal" as far as being able to ride for any prolonged distances without gasping for air?

As it is now, I'm winded after riding around the back yard for a couple hundred yards. :/

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Zachariah

About the same time quit here, same result. I was told it may never go away because the damage is done, but to find ways to calm the irritation and not keep force clearing the throat. Caffeine seems to make mine worse. Happy i quit when i did!

Highspeed

I have been back active riding about 5 years and i am still at a disadvantage of others who did not smoke. Quit now and dont rush the riding recovery or you will stress your body. Trust me, you will get better... It will be worth not putting any nicotine back in your system.
    Last edited by zumlin; 11-05-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: missed quote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highspeed556 View Post
    I quit a couple years ago using electronic cigs, but then I relapsed this past year like an idiot.

Anyway, I'm going to try again. But I was curious: how long after quitting has it taken people to feel like they are "back to normal" as far as being able to ride for any prolonged distances without gasping for air?

As it is now, I'm winded after riding around the back yard for a couple hundred yards. :/

I smoked like a chipped diesel pickup for about 25 years, it's been over 3 years now since I've partaken and I feel great on the bike and am still a pretty strong climber. You can recover, but you need to quit.

e-cigs can string you out by never fully letting you off the hook. Cold turkey works if you can get in the right mindset, 3 interesting days of suffering and you're home free.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    It was odd for me when I finally did quit. Almost all smokers have been in the same place that I was. You smoke the last cigarette in a pack at the end of a day and decide that you're going to quit.

When I finally quit, I had about 8 cigarettes left in the pack at the end of the day. I set a goal of getting to my chair downstairs without having one. Then to the breakfast table. Then to the shower. etc... etc... All day long I knew that they were right there. If I wanted one, I could have it. I wouldn't have to panic and run to the gas station to get another pack. I finally threw the pack away in the middle of the 2nd day.

The typical nicotine craving only lasts about 20 to 30 seconds but it is strong. If you can get someone to help you when you have one, it helps.

I quit well over 20 years ago and still have dreams where I've started smoking again. Horrid thought.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    e-cigs can string you out by never fully letting you off the hook. Cold turkey works if you can get in the right mindset, 3 interesting days of suffering and you're home free.

Good luck!
    Even after you break the actual nicotine addiction you still have the habit (of "this is when I used to smoke") to fight against. Vaping minimizes both of those.

New regulations are probably going to destroy the US vaping industry pretty soon anyways, or you can just beat the rush and cut down the nicotine content until you're just sucking on flavored artificial fog and start to ask yourself why you're doing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I quit a little over 4 years ago, exercised hard for a couple years and lost a bunch of weight. Have been riding pretty steadily for over a year again. I can ride for a couple hours+ pretty easily now (over the last month or so), but I stay pretty winded, and get gassed easily on any steeper hills (I'm in Fl, so need to go find steeper hills sometimes if I want to work them). I rode 20 miles of singletrack last Saturday, and had plenty left in the tank, and recovery was pretty mild.
    '15 Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by zumlin View Post
    Highspeed

I have been back active riding about 5 years and i am still at a disadvantage of others who did not smoke. Quit now and dont rush the riding recovery or you will stress your body. Trust me, you will get better... It will be worth not putting any nicotine back in your system.
    Well that's disheartening.

Nonetheless, I'm trying to quit again. But my wife is still smoking, and I still smoke a few of hers, but I have drastically cut back my intake. I'm getting there. I know I have to quit.

It is good to hear that after quitting we can recover some, though.

Thanks for the encouragement!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    ...or you can just beat the rush and cut down the nicotine content until you're just sucking on flavored artificial fog and start to ask yourself why you're doing it.
    This is what worked for me the last time. I think I might pick up another e-cig and do that again. I started vaping 12mg nicotine juice. Then after a couple months I switched to 6mg. After another month or so, I switched to 0mg nicotine, and within another week after that I just sat it down and was done. It worked wonderful. Then...a year later, during a very stressful time I made the stupid decision to pick up a pack at a gas station. Ugh.

mtbr member
    This is what worked for me the last time. I think I might pick up another e-cig and do that again. I started vaping 12mg nicotine juice. Then after a couple months I switched to 6mg. After another month or so, I switched to 0mg nicotine, and within another week after that I just sat it down and was done. It worked wonderful. Then...a year later, during a very stressful time I made the stupid decision to pick up a pack at a gas station. Ugh.
    That's sorta what I did (been almost a year since I quit). I had a terrible cold though and it hurt to smoke so I used one of those Mark 10 e-cigs, they look and feel like a real cigarette, the end even glows when you puff on it lol. I gradually quit that too by waiting longer and longer each day to have my first puff. After about 2 weeks I lasted all day and haven't had one since! I still keep the 2 1/2 packs of cigs left over on the shelf so I can see them.

As for getting your breath back I can totally tell the difference. I'd say it took about 6 months to get used to breathing normally again. Just have to remind yourself to take DEEP breathes every so often. And during heavy riding now I feel my lungs are back to normal. It's kind of hard to tell after smoking 1-2 packs a day for 20 years, but I definately feel 10000% better !

Good luck you can do it!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I quit over 6 years ago at the age of 44. I needed to scare myself into action.

Remember this every time you light up: What's harder than quitting smoking? Chemo!

There is a great resource site called whyquit.com, completely free with so much information. I used to read it for months before I quit and it made all the difference once you are ready.

The key is knowledge and understanding what to expect: as an example, I realized that a craving is nothing more than the start of withdrawal and decided I didn't want to go through them 30 times a day for the rest of my shortened life.

On that site in the middle downward is a "Test" with multiple answer questions. It tells you the answer after each question, but it is both informative and helps you realize you can do it...worth reading it.

It does get better and better and eventually you will get back your lives...the way you were before becoming a slave to this worst "friend".

mtbr member
    Today makes 1 year smoke free for me! I figure I've saved over $2k this year by not buying cigs. Time to go buy some bike stuff!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well that's disheartening.

Nonetheless, I'm trying to quit again. But my wife is still smoking, and I still smoke a few of hers, but I have drastically cut back my intake. I'm getting there. I know I have to quit.

It is good to hear that after quitting we can recover some, though.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Tough love my friend....
    Its the harsh reality, and if we known that going in we would of never started smoking in the first place. Tried everything to quit, cold turkey did it for me, it was ugly. Like i said it will get easier and you will recover but these vape pipes, meds and tricks will only make it harder to reach your goal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Veterans Day was my last one, been vaping 3mg and am going to drop to 0 nicotine next. Only ridding my MTB once since then, but spent plenty of time on my road bike and smashing personal bests on Strava. Also been doing a lot of running, almost to the point I can hold a 6 minute mile pace for a 3 mile run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor-Cal-Mike View Post
    smoking by the end of Sept. Patches / gums are a no go for me, to expensive. Im trying to save money to put more into my bike.

Regards, Mike.
    Is it not better to be smoke free and have a chance to be healthier than have a nicer bike ?

I used gums sparingly over a period of a few weeks. During the daytime, I ignored the cravings and kept myself busy. At night, I chewed a gum if the craving stopped me falling asleep. Gums were my comfort blanket and helped but I still had to go cold turkey and bin the gums too. It took 3 weeks for the cravings to subside and now I actually find the smell of tobacco sickening.

Quitting may also require changing your routine. It's hard but worth it. I chose to see much less of my drinking/smoking buddies as I felt it was impossible to quit surrounded by them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5