Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I need to quit as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Re: Quitting Smoking

It will be two years for me in August as a non smoker. This book it cold turkey was the only thing that would work
    http://m.indigo.ca/product/books/Eas...&cookieCheck=1
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gotta pay to play
    Had friends quit all sorts of ways: cold turkey when the reasons became important enough in their life (several other posters have mentioned things that changed their life), one used Chantix, a bunch used the e-cig vapor stuff. Got the solution with nicotine in it and then gradually lowered the nic content in the vapor until they didn't have a craving for it anymore. Some of my buds still "vape" but don't have any nicotine in it. Just need to oral fixation and they like the taste of what ever mixture they have. Still an expensive hobby though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosejacob6 View Post
    hello
    friend you know,as we all knows that smoking is injurious to health but we are not ready to accept it in right way, we continue to start taking it so i would like to tell you if you really want to quit smoking just quit it because today is the best day as we knows tomorrow never comes. I have a best alternative for it just try or opt electronic cigarettes.it helps you to quit your deadly habit.electronic cigarettes does not contain tobacco products like traditional cigarettes have. That is why it is good for your health.
    Thanks
    spammmmm

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Agreed, spam. I tried an e-cigarette, and all it did was make me want a real one that much more, but YMMV.

It's the axle
    I am replying without ready the 6 pages. So I may be echoing other posts.

First, I regret having ever hurt my body. I enjoyed it while doing it, but am working so hard now that I'm aging. I quit smoking around 24 years old. I'm now going on 60. And it was very difficult. But I worked in a hospital, and saw with my own eyes, the tracheotomies, and all of the rest. I had a good reason to quit.

I used two basic techniques. One is still smoking though.

I smoked small quantities of cannabis whenever I had the urge. You still get to smoke, but eventually quitting is easy.

But the one that I found to truly work was a kind of postponement. If I had an urge to smoke, I would switch my brain around by telling myself that I'd have that cigarette in 5 minutes. I know it sounds stupid, but it did help.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    nnnn

ragley blue pig x

I think youre going the right way about it by cutting back gradually thats exactly how i stopped smoking about ten years ago, I was having a cigarette every hour for a week then one every two hours the second week one every three hours the third week and so on till eventually I was having one cigarette a day.

I didn't use any gum or fancy gimmicks I just planned it over twelve weeks to make sure I kicked the filthy habbit.

A few of my mates have tried the gum and always end up back on the cigarettes after a couple of weeks, maybe they don't really want to give up I don't know.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Just keep making small strides and continue riding within your limits.

I overcame congestive heart failure, from smoking and non-stop meth addiction. I went from being barely able to ride around the block twice...to doing 5-hour, 25 mile MTB epics, with 3,000ft of climbing.

"The mind will quit.....well before the body does."
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here's some motivation- My grandfather, Rocco, smoked for about 60 years from about 1925 (when he got here from Italy) to his time in WWII where he went up to a 2 pack/day average until finally quitting in the late 1980's. Today, (July 13, 2013) we are celebrating his 98th birthday on Coronado island. He has no lasting issues that are attributed to smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIaco290 View Post
    Here's some motivation- My grandfather, Rocco, smoked for about 60 years from about 1925 (when he got here from Italy) to his time in WWII where he went up to a 2 pack/day average until finally quitting in the late 1980's. Today, (July 13, 2013) we are celebrating his 98th birthday on Coronado island. He has no lasting issues that are attributed to smoking.
    Nice. Your uncle Rocco is obviously blessed with great genes. I've often heard if you can quit for longer than 8 years...the lungs almost entirely regenerate all lost/scarred tissue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Choose a date within the next two weeks to quit. Don't wait for the "perfect" day just pick a date and work with it. Put it in your calendar.

If you'd like:

List your reasons for quitting - health, family, money.
    Write down some new hobbies you can do instead of smoking exercise, knitting, making model airplanes- something to keep your hands and mind busy.
    Speak with friends, family, and colleagues and ask for support. Tell them about your plan to quit, so it feels more real to you.
    Start making the changes to push smoking out of your everyday life - stop smoking in the house and in the car. Make your house and car smoke-free, so no one is allowed to smoke inside.

If I "wisely" invested every penny of what I spent on my 2-pack/day habit, for the past 25 years....I could easily be retired today, riding a top-of-the-line MTB.

Tobacco is one of the hardest things in the world to quit - but it's so damn worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just checking in. 6.5 months and counting.

It's kind of sad seeing the people standing in the smoking area over by the fence at work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Its been almost two years for me. I smoked for 18 years and I feel like my lungs have completely healed. It really was all in my head. The book posted in this thread was the solution.

ragley blue pig x

Best thing about quitting smoking is being able to get up that big hill that was impossible when you were on 20 a day...I think every month you go without a smoke reverses a years worth of damage to your lungs and your chance of developing lung cancer reduces dramatically after a couple of years as well

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor-Cal-Mike View Post
    Patches / gums are a no go for me, to expensive.
    I hope you are already past the point of needing these but if you still do, do the math: the patch costs about the same as a pack-a-day habit.

Having said that, I quit for 3+ months using the patch twice but neither time stuck. In January, I quit cold turkey and now I rarely ever have the urge to smoke any longer.

Quitting smoking takes more than the will to quit. It takes commitment and a plan. It may sound corny but those guides that tell you to find **** to do instead of smoking are on to something. Stuff your mug with a donut if you need to or chew on a pencil when you crave. Better yet, do something healthy (e.g. go for a ride) instead. Think about when you normally crave (while driving, drinking, or after success/failure at work) and then pre-plan alternatives for those instances. Break bad habits by replacing them with better habits.

Oh and some sort of detox program for your first week as a nonsmoker can't hurt either. Start with lots of water and garlic and take it from there.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by tehninjo0 View Post
    I hope you are already past the point of needing these but if you still do, do the math: the patch costs about the same as a pack-a-day habit.

Having said that, I quit for 3+ months using the patch twice but neither time stuck. In January, I quit cold turkey and now I rarely ever have the urge to smoke any longer.

Quitting smoking takes more than the will to quit. It takes commitment and a plan. It may sound corny but those guides that tell you to find **** to do instead of smoking are on to something. Stuff your mug with a donut if you need to or chew on a pencil when you crave. Better yet, do something healthy (e.g. go for a ride) instead. Think about when you normally crave (while driving, drinking, or after success/failure at work) and then pre-plan alternatives for those instances. Break bad habits by replacing them with better habits.

Oh and some sort of detox program for your first week as a nonsmoker can't hurt either. Start with lots of water and garlic and take it from there.

Good luck!!
    Exactly. My "plan" to stay quit, was to ride a bike. Little did I know that smoking for 22 years non-stop, turned my fitness into mush. Riding a bike at first was actually HARDER than the act of quitting itself!

If I had to do it all over again....I'd still buy another bike.

mtbr member
    Congrats! I smoked for 20+ years a pack and a half a day. Ive been smoke free for 4 years now.

Seeing as you have successfully stopped I'll skip the how to advice, and go straight to these warnings:

• Each time you quit it's gets harder and harder to stop. You said "I'll never go back", GOOD, don't do it! You think that was hard? Next time will be much more difficult.
    • After a while (month, year or more) your brain may try to trick you into starting again, by trying to fool you into thinking you could be one of those annoying 'occasional smokers', or that it was not that hard to quit. Don't do it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quitting Smoking

Hey guys just wanted to send out a quick thank you to everyone on this post/topic. And a very special thanks to who ever the hell 1st posted about Allen Carr's easy way to quit smoking book. I am 29years old. I have been a "full time" smoker since the age of 14. I quit two times in the past 4 years. Both times using Chantix. 1st time made it about 6 months and the last time I quit for about a year. Well getting back into mountain biking after 14years, I starting looking into quitting again..... Hopefully this time for good. So I spent the $150+ on my starter pack of Chantix and was waiting for the "right time" to start taking it. Fearing once again how it make me feel taking it and how it messed with my head it is still sitting in my med cabinet. About two weeks ago I was looking around on MTBR and saw a quitting smoking post. Shocked to see that on here I had to take a look. Well after reading through all the posts I went on to amazon the next day and ordered Allen Carr's book. I can not even tell you the last time I read a book. But it was $12.90. What did I have to loose. So after 3-4 days of reading after work, I finished the book on this past Monday Aug 5th at 9:45pm. At 9:46pm I became a non smoker again. And I must say it was very easy. There are a few times that can be rough for the first few days but I must say it is worth it. Anyway..... Sorry for the long story. Thanks again for everyone on this topic. If you are reading this, still smoking and want to quit . STOP reading this post and go buy the book already. You won't regret it. I am so looking forward to my first non smoker ride this weekend and hacking up all the **** from my lungs the entire time. Thanks again all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

That book changed my life. I read it two years ago and have been a non smoker for two years. I killed the monster.

I read only ONE CHAPTER of his book, inside a Barnes & Noble....and the rest is history. I have been stink-free, for 2802 DAYS now...

mtbr member

Quitting Smoking

I gotta do this it is killing me and everything I love about mountain biking. Quit for 2 months earlier this year and then quit riding its time to stop the little monster

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quitting Smoking

So almost a full month without smoking. I must say I feel great !!!! Sure there are a few times now and again I'm like "hey shouldn't I be smoking right now". Like after a meal. But for the most part I have no desire to light one up ever again. I'm around them everyday at work and it still does not make me want one. I know now that I'm not missing out on anything. After about 2weeks I was able to feel the difference on the trail, I have made a few climbs that I could not do before and I only have to rest for a few moments after. I'm very excited for more to come. Also for those of you out there that are worried about the weight gain. I have not gained a pound ( and I'm a 290# clyde that does not eat all that well) but now its time to loose some..... Now last but not least the most important gain of all so far. I have finally had the energy after a long day at work to run around the yard chasing after my 18 month old daughter. I will never trade that for cigarettes ever again. Thanks again everyone for all the kind words and most of all thanks for telling be about that amazing book!!!! I truly did learn the "easy way to quit smoking". Thank you Allen Carr !!

AZ
    banned
    Congrats to all, this is one occasion that you can be proud of being a quitter.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast