Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I too was a long time smoker. I have been quit for 7-8 years now and I'm in the best shape of my life at the age of 45. The most shocking thing for me after I quit was that, as much as 5 years after quitting, I would hack up phlegm that tasted like dirty ashtray. That stuff hangs with you a long time. I hope this doesn't gross anybody out too bad, but I thought it might help somebody make up their mind.

mtbr member
    Congrats on quitting. If I had to list the "Dumbest Things I Ever Did", starting smoking would be at the top of the list. If I had to list the "Smartest Things I Ever Did", quitting smoking after almost 20 years would be at the top. After 10 years of not smoking, the only advice I have is never quit quitting.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

AZ
    banned
    Congrats guys, keep after it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    Congrats on quitting. If I had to list the "Dumbest Things I Ever Did", starting smoking would be at the top of the list. If I had to list the "Smartest Things I Ever Did", quitting smoking after almost 20 years would be at the top. After 10 years of not smoking, the only advice I have is never quit quitting.
    Well Said !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    Good point. Every time I didn't succeed, I learned something valuable that helped me the next time. I quit many times before I finally licked the habit.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I've never smoked. Well, I tried a cigarette behind a garage once when I was very young and said to myself, nope, I don't like that.

Even though that's true, I have emphysema. I have a fairly rare disease where my body is attacking my lungs. Even though I've always been pretty healthy, I'm old enough that it has really started making a difference. I mention this because it doesn't matter what the emphysema is caused by, it's still the same in how it affects your body. So, my genetic emphysema affects my body just like it was caused by smoking.

Not everyone that smokes gets emphysema, but about 95% of emphysema is caused by cigarettes.

This past year it got to where I got out of breath tying my shoes. I went snowshoeing with my wife and daughter and going up a small incline I had to just stop and watch them continue on. I started getting headaches that would keep me awake the entire night screaming in pain. I would leave the house so as to not freak out my family.

I can't imagine doing something to myself that might likely cause what I have. You want a reason to quit, quit for your own health, for the health of those around you, and for the health of those you care about.

I started trying to get back into shape this year. I dug out my old racing bike and my rollers. I would spend 40 minutes getting ready and ride for 5 minutes. I closed my retail store at the beginning of the summer in order to spend as much time as I could getting healthier. To make it easier for my lungs to work, I've lost almost 50 pounds by cycling again. It has been a long road. In May of this year, I complained to my doctor who is a cyclist that while riding with a group, when we would come to even a small hill, it would be like I couldn't breathe. I could be at the front of the group and every single person would pass me and leave me way behind. He told me, I would never be able to ride with them.

My lungs still don't work well, but I compensate today by being as healthy and in as good a shape as I can be in. I use several different inhalers and the doctors want me to start a plasma routine but it is very expensive and they aren't even sure it helps. I will log over 300 miles this week on my bike. It takes riding a lot of miles to be able to ride with the good riders around here, but I can now.

Quit Smoking, emphysema SUCKS.
    Last edited by alphazz; 12-06-2012 at 08:57 AM.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Alphazz, thanks for sharing. The snowshoeing story was touching. My 5 year old daughter is the center of my universe and I understand how you must have felt. Sorry you have to live with the disease.
    Last edited by RTM; 12-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    After starting back up 3 months ago and stopped riding, I have had enough. So I working on day 2 no smoking. Hard but I can do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You sound just like me 2 years ago when I started taking riding more serious. I was 23 then also. Been smoking since 15. Eventually it clicks - you cant get better unless you quit smoking. Riding was the thing that saved my life. I tried quitting over and over again through the years but honestly didn't give a ****. I became so passionate about riding that I just quit cold turkey without even realizing it. I still have maybe 1 a month when I drink a little too much in one sitting. Don't worry too much about it. If you really want to quit you would have already. It will click sooner or later. Go on more group rides and see how hard it is to keep up with that shitty breathing.

By the way I'm overweight too. At 5'9 I was 250 in 2007. Broke my back and lost 30 pounds. Got into riding and lost 20 pounds. Gained 10 back cus its the Freakin hollidays! I don't so it for the exercise. I do it cus its fun as hell!

But yea, since quitting smoking I realized I get left alone a lot when out with friends. They all to out to smoke and ide rather not be around it to avoid temptation. I live in Athens, GA. Huge college party town. Hard to come across a non smoker. It's even gotten to the point where if I meet a girl and we hit it off and she goes out to smoke a cig I lose interest fast.

You'll get there buddy. Good luck!

Edit: MJ is your friend.
    Last edited by kikoraa; 12-23-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Almost 10 days no smoking and it feels great. I always forget how much smoking makes me forget about my bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmit450 View Post
    Almost 10 days no smoking and it feels great. I always forget how much smoking makes me forget about my bike
    Keep it up, almost over the initial cravings.

I haven't smoked in 23 days and put 150 miles on the bike.

Today was my longest ride to date, 16.7 miles. 2 laps. Stopped both laps at 6 miles to chat with a buddy that was resting. Quitting has been the best thing I have done. Everyday I can feel my body getting stronger and able to recover quicker.

I used the nicotine gum, actually still do, but it helps curb the cravings. after a couple weeks it gets easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmit450 View Post
    Congrats. Every day gets better and better. I'm coming up on the 4 month mark.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Nor Cal Mike, stop whatever you are doing right now and go and get or order online a little book called Alan Carr's "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking". I would be a happy man indeed if the only advise of mine on this forum that you heeded was this. Take it from an addict, you can thank me later. Dude I **** you not, go now! Quitting smoking is indeed easy!!!

Easy Way To Stop Smoking Kit: Allen Carr: Books | chapters.indigo.ca
    I just want to thank Nor-Cal-Mike and Saddle Up. Without this thread I would have never heard about an amazing little book. I was less than 1/2 way through it when I just knew it was working.

So after 39 years of at least 1 pack ( often more ) I have stopped. 17 days so far, since the first of the year and it has indeed been easy.

Thank You to both of you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Remember, when you "quit something", it is forever. It is a life style change. You can never do it again for the rest of your life. Don't try to fool yourself when you get the urge after X amount of time, then smoke and think you quit because you will have just started again. Then you have to start quitting all over again to get back to where you were.

I quit smoking (cold turkey) many years ago. I said to myself I will see how long I can go without smoking (37 years now). If I were to smoke now after all this time I would have to go this far again, I would be so ashamed of myself if I did. Quitting is " one of the best things I ever did in my life". I have since used the same strategy for the last 8 years with drinking alcohol and 7 years with soda. The money, stomach, health, & brain cells I have saved!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I smoked a pack to 1 1/2 a day for 12 years. I had my last cigarette December 18th of 2010, although I did start chewing. Three days later we landed for an extended vacation in sunny Afghanistan. Every day that I could (4-5 times a week) I would do ~20 miles on an exercise bike.

In November of 2011, I finished my first 50 mile race. In December I quit chewing. In June of 2012, I finished the Dirty Kanza, and in September I bikepacked the Vapor Trail in Colorado on a fatbike.

I quit drinking December 9th, 2012, and on January 28th, 2013, three days before I turned 33, I signed up to race the Tour Divide in June.

Never give up, stick with it, because the effort is SO worth the rewards! I'd say good luck, but luck ain't got nothin to do with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Interesting thread as I am an avid mountain biker and also own an electronic cigarette company here in Charlotte. While I am not a smoker I do have family members that used to smoke but I got them using our products and while the nicotine isn't the best thing for you giving up the tobacco by products in real cigs really makes me happy especially since its family. If any of you guys are interested in trying our products you can go to Electronic Cigarette | E Cigarettes | Purchase Electronic Cigarette | Buy Electronic Cigs Online and use discount code: MTBR and it will give you 25% off anything in our store. So again not trying to make a pathetic advertisement as there are better forumns to do that if I can help any of you or you family trying that would be great and hope you guys can overcome the addiction and enjoy many more miles on the bikes!!

mtbr member

Quitting Smoking

2 months 14 days baby!!!!

mtbr member
    Good for you. I"m coming up on 6 months, the 9th to be exact.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Quitting Smoking

Right on everybody. 12 years here. Quit smoking and started Mtn biking at the same time.

mtbr member
    I quit in September after the birth of my second daughter. I have also lost 20 lbs since Christmas. It's shameful how I used to accept being a fat, smoking slob as if that's who I truly was. It's sad how the lies we tell ourselves to to avoid being uncomfortable are the cause of our discomfort.

mtbr member
    I quit smoking a long time ago. My 13 year old daughter asked me to and I did. She's 30 now. I tried to quit for many years by cutting back, using the gum, and any other technique that was available. None worked for me.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    BUMP!
    100 days and counting, I'll never go back.

Thanks everybody.

bust a move

Good job!

Congrats
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Way to go. Life is good!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast