Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks guys. Getting a little easier now. I did have one smoke last night, well part of one. made me feel like crap. Goin for a ride now. Havent ridden since I stopped, Im hoping it will help clear my mind a little.

Regards, Mike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I smoked a pack a day for 15 years, I gained 45lbs when I quit smoking...

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Just more motivation to get on the bike and eat right.

Good job Mike but if you want to quit you gotta walk away completely... no cigarettes at all. No puffs, nothing. If you even take one drag you can fall back into it so fast its not funny. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

test

test post

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nor Cal Mike, stop whatever you are doing right now and go and get or order online a little book called Alan Carr's "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking". I would be a happy man indeed if the only advise of mine on this forum that you heeded was this. Take it from an addict, you can thank me later. Dude I **** you not, go now! Quitting smoking is indeed easy!!!

Easy Way To Stop Smoking Kit: Allen Carr: Books | chapters.indigo.ca

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Nor Cal Mike, stop whatever you are doing right now and go and get or order online a little book called Alan Carr's "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking". I would be a happy man indeed if the only advise of mine on this forum that you heeded was this. Take it from an addict, you can thank me later. Dude I **** you not, go now! Quitting smoking is indeed easy!!!

Easy Way To Stop Smoking Kit: Allen Carr: Books | chapters.indigo.ca
    +1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    its not easy but i did it

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Mike, read the book. Seriously.

I smoked for 12 years. Quit for 3 days. Then I caved. I was going to buy a pack, but I read this book instead. Never went back.

I want to make it clear the book does NOT gloom and doom you with health facts we already know. The book aims to separate the addiction (hardly any) from the habit (most of it), leaving you with a clear understanding of your situation and a feeling of I GOT THIS.

I have been smoke free for 8 months and proudly counting. I went from being a slob to riding ~100 mountain miles per week, and counting. I introduced this book to 5 of my friends. All 5 of them are now non-smokers. All 5 of them are now also avid mountain bikers.

Quitting smoking does so much more than you will find from the "quit smoking timeline" (you know you searched that). You will have a new outlook. You will respect your body so much more. Your health will be a priority.... not like it is when your a smoker, but really a priority. You will feel a
    sense of accomplishment that no other feat can produce. And it sticks with you, for a long time.

Want to know the best feeling in the world? Telling someone you quit smoking, and knowing you mean it!
    Last edited by MTB_For_Me; 09-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adan View Post
    its not easy but i did it
    You are obviously not paying attention here, it can be easy, and way to go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    I smoked for 30 years, did not gain an ounce, have not had even one craving, it's been 7 years.

All this harmonica stuff
    You're gonna have to offset that craving, and better to do that with things organic. Everyone should drink water, so if the days become edge-y and begin to give odd things to crave - especially sugary things for a ' rush' get some Seltzer Water. It's flavorless yet it quenches.
    If you manage to keep moving forward, you've got it! If not, hit the harder stuff -- Club Soda -- and lastly go for the Tonic Water. Tonic Water is a bitter, bitter pill. This natural-remedy has been repeated many times by others, it just works. I'd smoked at one point, and quit it w/ this same adjustment. Have never looked back, and in fact am keeping a great natural diet and health.
    Im all-in for others to succeed ridding vices and obstacles in their lives.

AZ
    banned
    Update?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedBearing View Post
    Just take into account that it is quite normal to have some kind of relapse either cause of a stressful moment or that old "one puff won't harm".

No harm done. Just try to identify you've relapsed and retake the no-smoking policy asap.
    This.

Be sure to separate the addiction from the habit of smoking before bed, in the car, hanging around waiting, etc. If you've got a smartphone let that replace the boredom from waiting around, read the news. When you're done with US news, read international news.

Each time I've tried to quit I've had to slowly separate and distance cigarettes from a part of my life ie my car, my workplace, my house, the sunlight, etc. The addiction will hit you for the first few days but the habit will affect you for a long time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quitting when I get the bike I ordered the other day. Getting on Amazon now and buying Allen Carr's book. A big portion of the cigarettes I smoke can be attributed to idle-hands and pure boredom. If I have to take a short ride at 3am to get my mind off a smoke, so be it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Good move, Allen asks that you do not quit until you have completely read the book. I was ready to stop half way through reading it but made the commitment to follow his intructions. By the time I finsihed the book I was truly ready to quit, I threw away my remaining cigs and have not looked back. Your life is about to change, awesome for you to take the first steps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I figure that my smoker lungs will only hold me back from getting the full enjoyment of the bike and the adventures it will come with. Plus, it will mean more money for bike and car parts

mtbr member
    I started smoking during my first deployment back in 2005. I smoked a pack a day ever since. One day in mid 2010 I was in my truck at a stop light. In the car next to me was one of the most beautifl women I'd ever seen. She lifted a cigarette to her lips and I gaged. It completely repulsed me for some reason. I thought to my self "If it looks that ugly on her, imagine how I look". I didnt smoke again. Then came 4th of July this year. A couple too many drinks and the fireworks show did a number on me. I wont go into details on what all happened but I ended up in the VA hospital and was diagnosed with PTSD. I cursed them up and down and called them liars and to stay out of my s**t. Walked across the street to a gas station and bought some smokes. Been smoking a half a pack a day since then.

I'm buying that book right now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    I started smoking during my first deployment back in 2005. I smoked a pack a day ever since. One day in mid 2010 I was in my truck at a stop light. In the car next to me was one of the most beautifl women I'd ever seen. She lifted a cigarette to her lips and I gaged. It completely repulsed me for some reason. I thought to my self "If it looks that ugly on her, imagine how I look". I didnt smoke again. Then came 4th of July this year. A couple too many drinks and the fireworks show did a number on me. I wont go into details on what all happened but I ended up in the VA hospital and was diagnosed with PTSD. I cursed them up and down and called them liars and to stay out of my s**t. Walked across the street to a gas station and bought some smokes. Been smoking a half a pack a day since then.

I'm buying that book right now!
    I credit that book with saving my life. The men in my family died from smoking related illness. I read the book and have never fed the monster again. It really was easy.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, the book is here, now for the bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I hope everyone who posted on this that wants to quit can. I have a few thoughts and tips that may help.

First some background. I just turned 46. Smoked 1 to 2 packs a day from 16 to 25. Then off and on for the next 20 years. My problem is I like to smoke. I can quit for extended periods of time, but sipping Jamesons in a bar has me searching for someone to mooch a ciggy off of because the two just go hand and hand so well. Last year a good friend of mine died from esophageal cancer. He smoked roughly 3 cigars a week. I decided I was never going to intentionally inhale smoke of any kind ever again. So far it's been a year and a half and things are going good. First I started running. I lost 30 lbs and got to 5k in 30 min, but my knees can't take it any more so last week I bought myself a birthday present, a Diamondback Overdrive Pro. I was hard core into mtn bikes 20 years ago so it was really, prodigal son sort of deal. I've manage to spend at least an hour on the bike everyday since I got it.

Some stuff that helped me...

You lose the physical cravings around 2 weeks from there it is psychological, which is infinitely harder.

Since I like to smoke I really had to focus on the psychological aspects of quitting. I started chewing gum to get past the oral fixation. I open the pack of gum the same way I open a pack of cigs. I tap the pack on my wrist and tear open the cellophane the same way. I even tap the individual pieces of gum like I would a cig before lighting it.

I drink water like a mad man. It helps leech out the toxins and helps the oral fixation.

I picked things out really wanted that I wouldn't normally spend the money on and every time I wanted to buy a pack of cigs I would drop $5 in a can. That way I felt rewarded for putting up with the mental anguish.

Because of what I do I had access cigs all the time as well. I made sure to tell everyone I knew, even peripheral acquaintances, I wanted to quit smoking. A strange byproduct of that was I really could tell those that cared by their empathy to my plight and ended up getting a few really good friends out of the deal.

I tried very hard to not put myself into situations where I would want to smoke. I also limited my contact with those people that smoked.

The last thing I want to say is, I know you can quit. The human constitution is an amazing thing. Much like riding on my mtn bike, my brain is the limiting factor. My bike can do amazing things. I am then reason why I don't. It is likely you will falter. If you do, pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and re commit to the process all over again. Never lose sight of the end goal of quitting smoking which will give you more stamina riding your mtn bike, make things taste and smell better, make your clothes smell better, and lower your odds of dying an early death significantly.

Keep it up. We are all gunning for you.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for your $.02 Dickie. I definitely get the smoking and drinking thing. Even though my beer tastes significantly better without the cigarette flavor, having a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other just feels right. Indianapolis did just ban smoking in all public places so that's a bit of a booster but every one of my friends smoke which will make it difficult, especially over the winter when riding won't be a daily thing.

For me, I smoke out of boredom and frustration. Keeping my hands and mind busy keeps me from smoking. I've noticed that after a day of not smoking the psychological dependency kicks. I think I'll need to find something for my left hand to do when my transmission isn't keeping the right busy; chain smoking while driving is something I've always done, any suggestions for that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Jetta View Post
    I think I'll need to find something for my left hand to do when my transmission isn't keeping the right busy; chain smoking while driving is something I've always done, any suggestions for that?
    I do actually. I am in the car 30 hours a week. I would try books on tape. I found myself getting so into the story I would forget about wanting a cig.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not a bad idea, if the local library has books on CD I'll give it a try. I was thinking more along the lines of a stress ball or grip strength trainer, but free is always better!

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Mike,
    Hope your hangin' in there. Lots of really good advice here. Avoid your triggers, make the neccessary lifestyle changes. Don't worry about tomorrow... just don't smoke today. Drugs, Alcohol or Nicotine... one day at a time. It really does work.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

Ohh Gnarly!!
    If your looking for something to do with your hands:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast