Thread: one tight hip

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

one tight hip

Any suggestions for bike fit changes when you frequently get one hip flexor very tight after a ride? It's also hard to relax my hip. I do some serious yoga poses - and it doesn't help. Any advice, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should verify your legs are the same length. Stop sitting on your wallet all day. Ride standing up more and switch to flat pedals maybe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hadn't thought of the flat pedals - I'll try that. I thought my left leg was shorter, but I'm still getting hip tightness with a shoe shim. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since you didn't totally hate the flat pedal idea, check out bikejames.com and --saving the craziest for last --sign up for a martial arts class. I did because my son wanted to and man are my hips strong and flexible now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I had the same problem with my left hip. After yoga, foam an pvc rolling, physical therapy and a chiropractor, I was told to see a sports physical therapist. Turned out to be weak hips. I would see a sports phys if you can or look up hip strengthening exercises.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Week hips, interesting. I did start a bike muscle building routine - but stopped the leg work outs because it seemed to irritate my left leg hip flexor. Hadn't thought to do the opposite - will consider. Thanks for the idea.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    How long have you been using a shim in your shoes? I've been receiving treatment for a similar issue and my right leg is shorter. After installing a shim, it took more than a month, almost 2 before I balanced out. My Chiro still does myofacial release therapy which really helps a great deal.

AZ
    banned
    This is an instance when a visit to a bike fitting professional would be advantageous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Glad to hear from someone else with a similar situation. Two months - I guess our bodies take a while to adjust. But I'm surprised to hear you still need myofacial release therapy! I was hoping this would end with the shim. Let me know if it gets better, maybe you need 6 months to adjust to the shim. Thanks.