Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

need help with weight loss plan

OK so here is my situation. Im 25 years old and all my life I have been super active my whole life. I raced motocross from the time I was 10 years old and my jobs have always been up and on your feet warehouse/factory type jobs but last summer I got a job in the parts dept at a Subaru dealer and my position is mainly a desk job. Well from then till now I have gained almost 25 pounds and I'm having a hard time staying active after work and losing the weight again.

My question is what foods should I be eating and stuff like that? I never had to worry about what I ate before because I was always so active but this job has killed that plan I currently am doing those insanity workouts you see on TV and biking a good 5 mile mountain loop a few nights a week along with motocross riding at least 2 nights a week but the lack of activity during the day is whats killing me. Is there any kinds of supplements or anything that will help burn calories or anything like that while Im at work??

Any input or suggestions will be appreciated

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The only way to burn calories is to burn them. Supplements won't help you significantly more than simply working out or just eating less.

Eat your meals/snacks spaced out over the course of 3 hours or so (for a total of 6 food intakes) and only eat 250-300 calories in a sitting. That will help you lose weight gradually, and then when you hit your target weight, add back in the calories you need to function in a day. Without going to a dietician, though, you will have to keep track of your calorie intake related to weight gain/loss yourself to figure out what your target is. I can guarantee you that if you cut out sweets/sodas on a daily basis, you will lose 5-10 pounds right there.

One thing that a lot of people will miss too, is the effect that drinking enough water can have on their body. Without sufficient water, you will retain fluid and have difficulty losing weight. Don't go overboard with water (there is such a thing as too much, but again, it varies person to person) but if your urine is not clear/light you should probably drink some more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just ride and avoid soda and beer. I know, the beer part might be hard!

One Gear
    Ride or Mx every day. Increase the mileage every week. Work up to 2 hours of riding at a session.

Focus on quality foods all day. No soda or crap from the vending machine. Nix the beer/booze and dessert as well. The meals/snack advice above works well for me too.

I lost 60 pounds by cutting the junk out, eating smart and riding 5 days a week. Loosing 25 should be easier.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I dont really drink beer ever so cutting that out would be no problem at all. And I'm doing my best to ride as much as I can but the trails I go to are about 20 miles out of my way in the opposite direction from home so that gets tough to ride everyday. Im working on some trails at a friends house that owns about 50 acres of wooded property but the weather has been killing that plan.

basically what you guys are saying is cut out the crap junk food (which I really dont eat much of anyway) and get off my ass and be more active? hahah, I think I can handle that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep. Only secret to weight loss is calories in < calories out. Anyone who tries to sell you otherwise is scamming you.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    if you need a simple rule, lay off the carbs. no sodas, potatoes, or flour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Yep. Only secret to weight loss is calories in < calories out. Anyone who tries to sell you otherwise is scamming you.
    That's not what the guy yelling on the infomercial said

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am a firm believer in no processed foods. You would be amazed at how much sugar and other crap there is in everything processed. That means you have to cook. Replace anything prepackaged with home made, that means any sauces, dressing and premade foods. all of this can be made at home. Then replace everything white with whole grain, white rice, pasta and bread are your enemy for weight loss.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Start simple - I started my plan year before last by simply not putting a couple teaspoons of sugar in my coffee...then started reducing extra sugary stuff.

Try to switch to lean proteins, eat small meals and most importantly EAT BREAKFAST! i never used to eat breakfast - the thought of eating in the morning made me want to puke! Now as my body has changed i wake up hungry - i have a protein shake every morning - gets the metabolism going and sets the stage for fat burning.

Phase out refined\processed foods - start swapping whole grain breads\pastas if you have to eat pasta. I cannot agree more with the poster above - get rid of prepackaged junk! eat more fruits & veggies. I replaced a lot of my meat intake with Quinoa and lentils and beans.

And realistically it takes time - if you dump more than a couple pounds a week it will be unsustainable and won't work - losing 1-2 pounds a week is a realistic goal that can be achieved succcessfully

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    if you have cravings for sugar and starchy food (like I used to have), I recommend you read the South Beach diet book.

My doc recommended this to me 1.5 years ago; I lost 40lb and feel great. The gist of it is zero sugar and simple carbs...eat lots of vegetables, fiber, & lean meat frequently throughout the day (never get hungry). After you reach your goal, it gets more permissive, but at no point are things like sugar, bakery or beer allowed.

Once you break that insulin rollercoaster, it's so much easier to eat the right stuff and maintain your proper weight.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    On the alternative side of things, you can look into "Intermediate Fasting". It's not going days without food, but rather in my case I have an 8hr window each day to eat, while my body "fasts" for 16hrs. It has been shown to promote fat loss without losing muscle while you work out. It's just something else to look into, as the 5 - 6 small meals a day isn't for everyone. There's a book you can check out called Eat, Stop Eat for a more in depth look at this topic.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Be prepared for it to take a while to lose 25lbs. At least 6 months of heavy sweating! I've lost significant weight with running and cycling. Didn't lose a pound inside a gym because it just wasn't fun for me to stare at myself get red-faced and vascular. It is much more fun to push yourself over dirt/pavement and get lost in the thoughts in your self reflection.

You say your're working out after work only? If so, try waking up super early and riding or running before work. Doing this might "force" you make necessary changes to the lifestyle that caused weight gain. If you know you want to be up at 5:30 to get in a cool morning ride, then you won't be as inclined to hit the bars or watch late night tv.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A fit dude one told me "Its 80% what you eat, and 20% what you do"

I've lost 50 lbs since October by counting calories (logging foods) and maintaining 1500 cals a day, per a nutritionist. When you have a budget of how much you can eat, you will carefully avoid crap like the people above mentioned, sugars, white breads, etc. This crap does not make you feel full either, and generally makes you hungrier later. It's a vicious cycle.

I just started biking about a month ago, rebounding from a ruptured achilles with surgery in January. Even when I was laid up, I lost weight nicely.

In the past, I tried working out harder by walking or running and still eating crap, it did not go well for me. Good luck! Like someone mentioned in other threads (myself included), some of the biking apps and websites can track your foods/diet for you now. I use fatsecret for that purpose, and as a weight loss community, but now I am finding I may be able to do that here. :-)

mtbr member
    I found myself turning 35 last year, heavier than I had ever been in my entire life. July came, I was riding plenty, but wasn't really losing weight. I wasn't drinking soda, and thought I was eating well, but I didn't make progress on losing weight until I did this:

1) Tried to work in a LOT more fruits and vegetables.
    2) Tried to drink water more often than anything else.
    3) Started tracking my calories.

#3 was the most important. You can run into two problems if you don't. Obviously, you don't want to eat too many calories in a day, but you also don't want to take in too few. You want to take in fewer than what's necessary to maintain your weight, but if you have too much of a deficit, your body will start trying to retain everything because it will think you're in a famine.

If you have a smartphone, getting a calorie counting application, and using it religiously can REALLY help. It did for me. By October of last year, I had lost 20 pounds, and I've taken off 5 pounds since then. Now I'm in a normal BMI range and am feeling a lot better.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    All of the above and cut out one crappy thing you eat on a regular basis. I cut out chocolate chip cookies and changed from whole milk to 1% milk in my coffee. I was 5 lbs lighter at yesterday's doctor visit than I was 3 months ago. My friends argued against the fact that it was the cookies and milk substitute but the math works. Eliminating cookies & substituting milk saved 209 calories per day. 209 x 3 months = 18,800 calories not consumed. They say you have to reduce caloric intake by 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. 3500 x 5 lbs = 17,500 calories which roughly equals the number of calories I reduced. Great news is that I don't have to give up red wine or chocolate - the cookies and milk did the trick!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've followed keto style diets incorporating refeeds for the past year and have dropped 100 pounds, and gained strength, it's worked for me. I feel like crap when I eat processed carbs and junk, when I feed myself clean foods, it makes all the difference, obviously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    Ride or Mx every day. Increase the mileage every week. Work up to 2 hours of riding at a session.

Focus on quality foods all day. No soda or crap from the vending machine. Nix the beer/booze and dessert as well. The meals/snack advice above works well for me too.

I lost 60 pounds by cutting the junk out, eating smart and riding 5 days a week. Loosing 25 should be easier.

Good luck
    x2
    +
    This is great advice, moved to Boulder for the summer and just cut out the suger snacks and upped the miles, pounds are going now. Don't "not eat" as this will slow down your weight loss.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Lots of good advice above. I also track my diet (and activity) with a great app. My Fitness Pal.
    Check it out.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it

this may help

I'd like to loose 10-15lbs.
    I watch what i eat. i drink at night 2-3 beers.
    I ride once or twice a week. Its all the time i had for a ride.
    Found out that a run will burn 2-3 times the calories as biking.
    Now that means a 35 min run is same as a 1 1/2 bike ride. ( ballpark ).
    So, i'm riding my 1 1/2 -2 hours twice a week and running about 4 times a week.
    I'll make my weight
    Also, i tried running last year on paved path/ street. i couldn't do it. i was bored or something. This years i tried running on bike trails. It made a world of difference.
    I run for 35-40 min now (after a week), i feel like i could go more.
    In a nut shell, sneak in a run (rides are sometimes hard to fit in).
    Run in woods.
    Haven't stepped on a scale, but: my runs are faster
    i feel better doing it
    slowly getting to bed earlier
    last time on bike, i kicked my riding buddies arse by 5 min.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am a firm believer in no processed foods
    Exactly!! ALSO EAT ORGANIC FOOD (or as close to it as possible)---its the Pesticides that mess up hormones and get you Fat (in my opinion.) Also small meals (high protein) and only REAL Carbs first thing in the morning. ALSO Drink a Gallon of H2O a day (and cut out soda's and sugar)--and all white colored food (bread, starches)----NOW I do eat Oatmeal (Steel cut organic for breakfast Monday to Thursday)---Friday to Sunday is Organic eggs for breakfast (that gives me some carbs during the week which I feel I need for work and school)---Then I eat Meat and Veggies for Lunch and Dinner (all Organic veggies.)--I joined a whosale club and get turkey burgers, chicken, salmon , Bison meat (buffalo) that is 'as close to organic as possible'--but the meat is just Natural--that is a lot cheaper then buying Organic meat at this time (again I am going back to school and need to save money now)----

Try that and see how much weight you lose (I even cut out alll dairy at home) no milk or cheese (I drink High protein Almond Milk)----and you need a multivitamin and Omega 3's-----(Not Fish Oil)-- Only Omega 3's-----that is what I have been telling people for years (though I used to cheat more in the past than I do now) with occasional 5 Guys Burgers and Pizza and Wings and Chinese (and a beer with wings)--------that keeps me sane (when I go out with folks)-----

Also you only take a multivitamin during the week (dont oversaturate your cells)--make your body do the work on the weekends.. Try It (I know it works like Crazy!!)---

p.s. Ignore the Crazy syntax (I am up very late with jobs and school) so I am very tired now (just triyng to make my point)--- and I have never done a spellcheck..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm facing same problem and someone suggest me cycling. This thread is helpful for me.

mtbr member
    Another great diet to look into for cutting out processed foods and "bad" foods is the Paleo Diet. My mom turned me onto it. She cooks by those standards regularly and goes to aerobics style classes 3 times a week and has lost like 25 lbs and 10 inches in the last year. And she is able to sustain it. The recipes are great although they are a little time consuming. The good thing about them is that they are usually large recipes so you can cook several meals at a time. Like making breakfast egg muffins on Sunday and they last the whole week. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gcfowler View Post
    Don't "not eat" as this will slow down your weight loss.
    Pay careful attention to the bolded. Cycling attracts people with body issues because it can make one so skinny.

There are many variations of the "not eating" with the bottom line being you don't want to spend your day being hungry and managing being hungry while trying to work/live.

Calorie counting with Weight Watchers worked for me if you don't have a nutritionist. I don't go for the manufactured foods either. I worked in the industry and it is mostly some combination of fillers/sweeteners/sodium.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Paleo and ride....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast