Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Ninja
    Man, these past couple of days just sucked! I have been eating like a hog and its been all Junk! I put back on 7#'s in the last two days, so disgusted with myself! What are some of the ideas and rituals you all do to get back on track? I think tonight I'm going to fast until I absolutely have to eat. I am so bloated and feeling very fat, I can't believe I let myself go and had no restraint the last two days?!

I think I need someone to yell at me!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    Man, these past couple of days just sucked! I have been eating like a hog and its been all Junk! I put back on 7#'s in the last two days, so disgusted with myself! What are some of the ideas and rituals you all do to get back on track? I think tonight I'm going to fast until I absolutely have to eat. I am so bloated and feeling very fat, I can't believe I let myself go and had no restraint the last two days?!

I think I need someone to yell at me!

Smoothies and veggies for a couple of days. Don't get to down on yourself, just get things back on course.

Save Jesus
    First off, you probably didn't gain 7 lbs. U r probably carbo loaded from the sugars and water bloated from the salt.

Second, I think you must have a bad attitude towards diet and weight loss if you think the foods you need to eat are odd, or that you need to eat protein powder, or not eat, or that you have to throw a bunch of stuff into a blender and mash it into a smoothie to power down. Eat as much as you want of normal, tasty, nutrient dense foods that are minimally processed. Bread and pasta don't count (they aren't nutrient dense). But it is ok to eat some. Reduce simple sugars. Eat a cookie if you feel like it. It won't kill you. It's really not that hard.

Junk foods and snack foods are designed to make you feel hungrier, not fuller. Just so you know.

Finally, healthy eating comes first, and weight loss will naturally follow. Find good tasting foods to displace the junk food. Eat based on knowledge, not feelings of willpower or self-loathing. It's really not that hard.

mtbr member
    Great post beanbag, just don't get why cookies are ok but smoothie or protein shake isn't
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

Save Jesus
    Cookies are ok to use for metabolic training as detailed by my posts here:

1 Day of Bad Eating: Big Mistake

Protein powder and smoothies are ok, but it looks like Tony the Tiger is using them to displace Real Food. He should exercise his teeth and jaw muscles more.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    weightlifters drink smoothies for a reason. its an easy way to power down 1200 calories without even trying. eating real food gives you more of a feeling of satiation, after fewer calories. in my opinion.

Ninja
    Beanbag, you were probably right, the next day or so I was back down the 7#'s I thought I premanently put back on. I'm not trying to be self loathing, but from the stand point of still being relativity new at ACTUALLY trying to eat healthier and losing weight, this who process is like a foreign language. You say its easy, but when your coming from a lifestyle of fast food and junk ALL your life, its like telling a junkie hooked on crack, its easy to quit. All the nutrition and learning about healthy food is going to take time and learning how to eat right is going to take prudence along with trial and error. I don't know what are the healthy foods are, or what combination to eat them in, in order to get all the proteins and nutrition I'm going to need. Believe me, ever since I said, THATS IT!, I'm done, I want to loose this weight, its been a struggle. Not just loosing the weight, but staying true to course from working out, to making time for riding, and staying vegilient to eating right. Don't get me wrong, I am not b!tch3n one iota, but its difficult and I know that I'm preaching to the choir. If you work, have a family and try to find time for yourself to ride, its a struggle. A struggle I'm finding everyday worth it!

I came here to ask for help, I do believe that there are alot of good folks who want to help and offer great advice on what's helped them. That's all I ask for is help and some guidance for eating better. I would much rather eat the nutrients I need than depend on some concoction developed in a lab, but if that concoction can help me achieve my end goal, I will use it. I just wish I figure out a way to totally hide the flavor of the protein.

Off my soap box and I ask, please don't stop on giving advise or even a kind word on the ongoing struggle we all have, some not so much as others, but none the less.

Again I thank you all and the help and bending of your ear you all give in this forum.
    Last edited by Frosted Flakes; 10-02-2012 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    I just wish I figure out a way to totally hide the flavor of the protein.
    Gold standard ON whey, especially the all natural version is the best tasting I ever tried. I actually like the taste.
    Either chocolate flavor mixed with milk, or vanilla flavor mixed with orange gatorade for an almost creamsicle taste.

Any kind of casein protein powered I'v tried taste like total kaka.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Gold standard ON whey
    I haven't had any powders in years but when I did drink it that was by far the best tasting stuff. Vanilla was like a great milkshake. Just be careful if you get into protein drinks. A big glass is like having a meal. It's easy to pack on the pounds.

mtbr member
    If you have a smart phone (most people do now, right?) Try this app. called myfitnesspal, it's free and a great way to keep track of calories in calories out. I've been using it for a couple of months and I've lost 25lbs.

Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    If you have a smart phone (most people do now, right?) Try this app. called myfitnesspal, it's free and a great way to keep track of calories in calories out. I've been using it for a couple of months and I've lost 25lbs.
    Thats an awesome idea with the smart phone!

Now the next question, how do you know the difference from weight loss to muscle gain? I have noticed lately that my pants are getting tighter in the thigh area, figured from spinning and climbing and well when you got big feet...........that's another forum, but how do tell your losing FAT versus muscle gain? Is it just how your clothes fit?

mtbr member
    how do tell your losing FAT versus muscle gain? Is it just how your clothes fit?
    That's just an easy way to judge your progress. Use a skin fold caliper for a measurement to calculate your bmi. There's other ways, some better, some maybe not depending on equipment, all more expensive. I'd think you should be able to tell if it's fat you're loosing/muscle you're gaining just by looking in the mirror.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Newb here. I have gone from 265/270 at my current weight of 190lbs and i look and feel awesome! However, i started mtn biking about 6 months ago in the south central pa area/Frederick, Md area. It seems that i have some bit of talent for this sport and have been doing pretty damn well in various races such as the micheux series. My weight seems to have plateaued once again. As far as how often i ride, well, this past week i have ridden 100 plus miles (mtn riding). No less then 15/17 miles per day pretty much. The more serious i am taking this sport, the more questions for how to improve i have. The question i have is for the more experienced guys out here. I would really love to drop to 180/175. I have already reached my current goal of 200, sitting at 190 from 265/270. What more can i do to drop weight. My eating schedule is as follows

Breakfast: egg whites, plain oats, natural peanut butter, one banana
    Snack: One banana, natural peanut butter on wheat toast (90 calorie)
    lunch: Brown rice, greens, lean beef
    snack: same as the above snack
    dinner: brown rice, lean beef, greens,
    second meal: brown rice, tilapia, greens,
    When my weight had subsided and i could not drop any more the first time, i had to adjust certain things in my meal plan set-up. The set-up i just listed is current
    For my rides: 1-2 power bars, accelerade, water.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Cut out the brown rice in the second meal and replace one power bar with a high protein, low carb (low glycemic index) version. I would make those small adjustments first just to make sure you are still getting enough carb intake for your active lifestyle. Depending on when you ride, there is a good chance you don't need the carbs at night. Everyone is a little different in terms of how much they need, and small tweaks like that can take off 5 pounds in a few months.

Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are building up redwood stump calves, this is very normal. How long have you been at 190? If it has only been a couple months, and you are feeling like you have a good balance in your diet (no crashing, not starving, but also not passing the level of 'satisfied'), just keep your current diet going for a few more months and see what happens. It may still be inching down, you are just building muscle right now that is replacing it.

Seeing a nutritionist who specializes in sports nutrition or active lifestyles is also HIGHLY recommended. You can check in with them once or twice a month, tweak what you need to, and know that they will keep you safe and healthy. Probably better advice than you get from a forum too Sometimes, with the help of a nutritionist, you will find you just need some vitamins to nudge any deficiencies in the right direction and give you a little extra GO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the advice mang. I will cut the brown rice. I almost figured that was one of the problems because i had cut down the brown rice intake amount when i was stuck at 210. I have been at 190 for only a few weeks and today was actually 188 after a quick 10 mile ride through teaberry. Weight will prob be back at 190 tomorrow morning. My legs have definitely leaned out from when i was 265/270 and are looking pretty solid. 5'10" 190lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Cut out the brown rice in the second meal and replace one power bar with a high protein, low carb (low glycemic index) version. I would make those small adjustments first just to make sure you are still getting enough carb intake for your active lifestyle. Depending on when you ride, there is a good chance you don't need the carbs at night. Everyone is a little different in terms of how much they need, and small tweaks like that can take off 5 pounds in a few months.

Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are building up redwood stump calves, this is very normal. How long have you been at 190? If it has only been a couple months, and you are feeling like you have a good balance in your diet (no crashing, not starving, but also not passing the level of 'satisfied'), just keep your current diet going for a few more months and see what happens. It may still be inching down, you are just building muscle right now that is replacing it.

Seeing a nutritionist who specializes in sports nutrition or active lifestyles is also HIGHLY recommended. You can check in with them once or twice a month, tweak what you need to, and know that they will keep you safe and healthy. Probably better advice than you get from a forum too Sometimes, with the help of a nutritionist, you will find you just need some vitamins to nudge any deficiencies in the right direction and give you a little extra GO.

mtbr member
    Couple of things/ideas I'll put out there to consider/give a try, or add to your bag of trix.
    Try cycling carbs. Either carbs am, then no or low carbs pm, or no /low carbs for a few days, then carbs for a few.
    Do some cardio when you wake before eating. Have a cup of joe and go, or right after a strength training session. Normally when you do cardio it takes 20-30 minutes before you start cutting into fat stores because you're running off food energy, but at these times there is none left so you'll start cutting stores right away.
    Fast for a day to reset your metab. Best to do it on a day off from exercise obviously. Doing this will not only give your whole digestion system a brake, but get your body wondering and ready for what's coming next. It's especially helpful before a diet change.

The next 2 can be done together or one at a time, and althou it may put you back a step it'll surely help shake a plateau, is surely good for long term progress, and to help keep quick results coming.
    Take a full two weeks off from all exercise. Do nothing more than an occasional leisurely ride if even that.
    Take a week or two off of eating well.
    You may feel a little off or not as strong when you get back with the program, but in a few days you'll be back stronger and with renewed progress.
    Last edited by theMeat; 10-07-2012 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well, finished a ride yesterday and had some scary after results lol. I was pissing blood for 2 straight hours and it hurt like a *****! Everything seems to be back to normal today I was riding through a "rock garden" and came down hard on my seat from sudden jults and stops.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I am a firm believer in no processed foods.
    Exactly!! But also try to eat as much Organic as possible. And I also cut out Dairy (because I cant drink milk or eat yogurt without running to the bathroom quickly and making a mess!!--for real!!)r

It's funny because I can eat a Large Pizza with Extra cheese or 2 large X-tra cheese cheese fries----BUT really stick to my diet at home (and really cut down about 80% of my cheat meals eating out.)

Ninja
    I think I broke through the plateau, and started losing again. What's really weird is the drastic weight shifts from day to day. I don't know if this is normal or just how my body is coping with the exercise and diet. For example, couple days back, just came off a great weekend of riding and getting things done around the house, weighed in at 226. Which was awesome because I was stuck at 232 forever, but the next day I was 234, then the day after that, 229. I'm back down to 227, but the swings got me a little concerned or I have a piece of crap scale! Is this normal?
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    Could be a junk scale or water. Maybe you were very dehydrated on your light days?

mtbr member
    Water weight is very common when losing weight, and causes weird fluctuations. That is why daily weigh-ins are NOT recommended. Weigh weekly instead.

Also make sure you are drinking enough water, it helps flush out the crap your body is trying to get rid of!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I remember when i plateaued. Could not break 210. DId two hard rides and the "weight" disappeard and never came back. Dropped to 195, now 190. Riding watershed friday morning with my neighbor and again on saturday morning. The lowest i have seen thus far is 188, but bounced back to 190/192. (most likely water weight) I am hoping these two rides will break this plateau again. If not, there is always the 20 mile dark hollow course i have run. (20 mile course is an awesome ride)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by gtiboy87 View Post
    Newb here. I have gone from 265/270 at my current weight of 190lbs and i look and feel awesome! However, i started mtn biking about 6 months ago in the south central pa area/Frederick, Md area. It seems that i have some bit of talent for this sport and have been doing pretty damn well in various races such as the micheux series. My weight seems to have plateaued once again. As far as how often i ride, well, this past week i have ridden 100 plus miles (mtn riding). No less then 15/17 miles per day pretty much. The more serious i am taking this sport, the more questions for how to improve i have. The question i have is for the more experienced guys out here. I would really love to drop to 180/175. I have already reached my current goal of 200, sitting at 190 from 265/270. What more can i do to drop weight. My eating schedule is as follows

Breakfast: egg whites, plain oats, natural peanut butter, one banana
    Snack: One banana, natural peanut butter on wheat toast (90 calorie)
    lunch: Brown rice, greens, lean beef
    snack: same as the above snack
    dinner: brown rice, lean beef, greens,
    second meal: brown rice, tilapia, greens,
    When my weight had subsided and i could not drop any more the first time, i had to adjust certain things in my meal plan set-up. The set-up i just listed is current
    For my rides: 1-2 power bars, accelerade, water.

Any suggestions?
    You have to cut some more calories to drop weight. Shoot for cutting at least 100 calories per day. Do you really need all those carbs? And all those snacks every day? You're eating 6 times a day - plus your candy snacks you eat on a ride. That's a lot of eating.

How long are your rides? Do you really need 1-2 Power Bars (250 calories per bar) on a ride and Accelerade (80 calories per 8 ounces)? If your rides are less than 2 hours in duration, I'd suggest going with water only (and no PowerBars). Otherwise, sounds like you are eating an entire meal on the bike in terms of calories if you do 2 Powerbars and Accelerade on a ride for 600+ calories. Even at XC race effort speed (and XC race duration), there's no need to fuel up like that if one has eaten a proper meal a few hours before the event. If you are riding longer rides (2-6 hours), fuel will start to be needed on the bike the longer the duration goes.

Cut some calories during the day and increase the volume of riding to go sub 190 if your weekly hours are 6 hours or less. Cut your snacks to either a handful of raisins or some unsalted varietal nuts.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    ^ agreed ^, eat less but disagree with less often. We don't know portion size so saying too much carbs ?
    Last edited by theMeat; 10-19-2012 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Same situation as the original OP, got myself a fine desk job, packed on some extra insulation. No more booze, bread, and a lot more greens I'm down 25. Stick to smaller meals throughout the day and night and give yourself ONE cheat meal on the weekend. NOT a cheat day. Cook all your food on sunday night before the week gets crazy and remember people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast