Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Give it a crank

Is mayonaise good or bad nutrition?

I love mayo and have been told by hardcore athletes to drop it. I couldn't drop mayo from my diet even if I did try. What's so bad about it for nutrition and performance? I thought it was just eggs in the form of paste.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    real mayo is eggs, oil, and lemon juice, as far as i know.
    store-bought mayo contains no actual food ingredients.
    just my opinion as a mayo-hater.

mtbr member
    Mayo is carb free but has a lot of fat. It's also 90cals per tblsp. If that fits into your daily diet then I don't see much reason to stop eating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

AZ
    banned
    Good fats or bad fats? All I know is that it contains a lot of them. Try an Avocado instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Try Vegenaise,egg free,gluten free,and really taste good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Good fats or bad fats? All I know is that it contains a lot of them. Try an Avocado instead.
    Guess that depends on the brand or if homemade. I guess it could go either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Save Jesus
    Typical mayo is made with soybean oil, which has a very bad omega6/omega3 ratio. I suppose if the rest of your diet has enough omega3 and vitamin E it's not that bad.

JDM
    mtbr member
    You can make mayo at home easily and just use olive oil (mild flavored) or avocado oil.

mtbr member
    Maybe give Kraft Olive Oil Mayo a shot. Zero grams of saturated fat and half the calories of their Real Mayo. From the Kraft website:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is mayonaise good or bad nutrition?-mayo-comparo.jpg  

Give it a crank
    I think I'll follow my instincts and keep my favorite mayo in my diet. Nothing wrong with a little fat, it can't be all that bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    in my house we wont eat soy anything. From what I have read and watched,soy is the most GMO food out there. I just looked at my helmans real mayo. It has canola as the first ingredient. Mabye its a Canada thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I make my own it's simple and it tastes so much better than any store bought crap thats full of highly refined oils, sugar and emulsifiers.
    3 egg yokes, juice of one lemon in a processor, pinch of kosher salt and a little white pepper, 100~150ml of extra virgin olive oil then finish off with either a light olive oil or grapeseed oil - don't use all EV Olive oil as it tastes too strong or you can omit it entirely. A few drops of truffle oil added at the start makes for the most heavenly mayo ever

JDM
    mtbr member
    SimpleJon, I made a recipe pretty close to yours recently. How long to you find that it keeps in the fridge?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    SimpleJon, I made a recipe pretty close to yours recently. How long to you find that it keeps in the fridge?
    That generally makes just under 1/2 liter (400~500ml), give or take and lasts about a week - Doesn't last that long in our house. I am no nutritionist but you can control the type and quality of oils used, where as mass produced ones rely on cheap nutritionally bankrupt, oils, then they balance it all out by heaping in sugars and flavours to mask the fact that 95% of the volume is tasteless bland gunk. (BTW Avacado's are something like 70~80% fat too - that's why they taste so damn good).

That recipe is the base (I forgot mustard on the recipe).; I flavour it with loads of different stuff (if i'm making it to flavour with other stuff I omit the extra virgin oil olive oil and just use 100% neutral flavour oil):
    • Mustard, cayenne, capers, olives, parsley, dill, chervil - great with fish / seafood
    • Ginger, mustard, lemon grass, fish sauce, garlic, chili, coriander, basil (blend to a paste with a little oil and strain) - Thai style
    • Roasted Capsicum, chili, tomato, pine nuts, paprika, thyme, basil (rosemary and mint good too) (paste and strain) - Duck / red meat
    • My absolute all time favourite that makes anything it goes near taste sublime - Mustard, cayenne, 200ml of 45% fat cream (whipped), 2-3ml of truffle oil - (but probably not for the hardcore athlete! or just omit the cream)

Mayo is basically a salad dressing that's been emulsified with egg yokes, if you are making it all fresh with natural flavours it has a much stronger, more complex and fresher taste than any store bought type - so you don't use as much per serving. I don't see what is so wrong with the homemade type, as long as your not overdoing it - certain types of fat are essential to good physical health and 45% cream (and butter) once in a while is essential to my psychological well being.
    To make it all you have to remember is to add the oil to the eggs / flavours slowly with the food processor running.

Our philosophy with food in general is rather than controlling every gram of fat and carbs to use fresh, organic and where possible local produce and ensure we have a reasonably balanced diet. But then I am not a hard core athlete

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My family friend was a professional body builder, and he can't stand what so many people are taking about regarding what your diet should consist of. I work out and am 6ft 190 with not an ounce of fat; and I put a very thin layer of Real Mayo on my chicken sandwiches 4 times a week; drink 6 glasses of 1% milk 3 days a week on my workout days; have a hamburger from a fast food restaurant once a week. Eat right with all natural products everyday with exercise, and you will live a long and healthy life. Depending on whether you want to lose weight or gain, will depend on how much you take in.

Stick with the Real Mayo; all of the low fat/calorie Mayos have fillers in it that are not good for you. Just like with those fake butters and milks, just stick with the all natural stuff. And 100% pure sugar, not the chemically created surgarless stuff. As long as you exercise and have a good diet it will not matter. Your body needs fats and saturated fats(all your organs are lined with it) to function properly. Don't get caught up in all this diet stuff, just stick to all natural foods and you will be fine.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

Give it a crank
    Those homemade mayo recipes sound really tasty. I can't imagine the taste of freshly made mayo right in the kitchen. I'll have to try it someday, thanks for posting!
    Last edited by Mtn-Rider; 05-21-2012 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    I can't go without mayo. Good info in this thread -- I try not to use too much.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Try Vegenaise,egg free,gluten free,and really taste good!
    I don't know about that! I'll stick to real mayo. I can't stand the taste and smell of the fake stuff.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    It's TRUE....if you exercise enough - a little Real Mayonnaise is not going to hurt.

I'm 8% body fat and my former bodybuilding buddies always say avoid anything labeled Low Carb, Fat Free and anything sweetened with Saccharin or NutraDeath. Hell, we still eat Pizza, Burritos, and Burgers....just not Super-Sized portions of it.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I spent a summer in the quality assurance department of a major food company (mostly potato salad, macaroni salad, etc. They make 90%+ of all potato salad in stores regardless of the brand on the package, including KFC!)

After seeing how the mayo is made and seeing it pumped out of what was essentially a firehose at 500lbs per batch of salad.... never again.

mtbr member
    Machine,

Soybeans are not even close to the most engineered food out there. Corn would be number one followed by cotton. Soybeans are self pollinated, that closes a lot of doors.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    I spent a summer in the quality assurance department of a major food company (mostly potato salad, macaroni salad, etc. They make 90%+ of all potato salad in stores regardless of the brand on the package, including KFC!)

After seeing how the mayo is made and seeing it pumped out of what was essentially a firehose at 500lbs per batch of salad.... never again.
    one reason i never worked in food. i have a very good relationship with it, and don't want to jeopardize that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    one reason i never worked in food. i have a very good relationship with it, and don't want to jeopardize that.
    Also the hours are long and pay is s**t

mtbr member
    My genes prevent me from avoiding mayo, trust me I have tried. That and making rock walls. It must be a Scottish thing. Thankfully there are finally better-oil, better tasting based mayo's out there, and without that hated preservative.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    My genes prevent me from avoiding mayo, trust me I have tried. That and making rock walls. It must be a Scottish thing. Thankfully there are finally better-oil, better tasting based mayo's out there, and without that hated preservative.
    Do they make it out of the same oil they use to deep fry mars bars in Glasgow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast