mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Looking for workouts to be done away from home

Hey guys looking for some advice from you travelers that have spent time away from home and still kept your fitness up. I'm a new airline pilot and spend about 3-4 days away from home at a time. My schedule right now as a new commuter pilot is not ideal for a steady training regimen and most of my overnights are not at a location with a 24 hr fitness and I would say less than 50% of the hotels have a gym inside.

Any input on what you guys would do for some core/leg strength would be greatly appreciated. I would like to try and put together a hotel workout regimen or list of workouts that I can do in an hour or less per night once my trip is done to help not lose everything I gain in my days off.

Also curious if anyone has used the No Gym No Problem e book from Bike James.com, every time I click on the learn more tab it redirects me to a different website.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to seeing what you guys have for ideas.

Steve

mtbr member
    depends where I'm at with training but so many ways to get a workout. Think "power hour"
    -Run up, walk down stairs. Take 2 steps at a time for more of a leg raise. Can often find a pipe to do some pull ups on in the stairway too.
    -Burpee and other forms of push-ups, sit-ups, leg raise, squats, lunges, right in your room
    -go for a run, ride, or swim and mix in 3+ sets of pull-ups, sit-ups, dips etc.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Are you looking for bike performance style of workout, strength, aerobic, or what?

I've been doing this routine for a couple of months. It's very scalable and the coach who put it together is great with the progressions. Only complaint is that it is a bit boring. But the results have been promising.
    Welcome to GymnasticBodies - Strength, Mobility, Performance for Anyone

Most of it is body weight but you'll need a suspension style trainer or rings.

Suspension trainers are pretty good for traveling. Combined with resistance tubing you can put together some pretty comprehensive programs. These are great for traveling because they pack well and can be used anywhere you have a door.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    There must be at least a hundred phone apps for tracking bodyweight workouts.
    So many trails... so little time...