Thread: Leg cramps

mtbr member

Leg cramps

I have found that when I drink plain water my legs (and sometime my hands) will cramp up frequently after a hard ride. But, when I drink powerade or gatorade instead of water, I don't get any of the cramping issues. Is there a supplement or something that I can take so that I don't have to drink 2 quarts of gatorade every time I ride? :-) Thanks,
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Are you looking for something sugar free? If so, I like hammer endurolyte tablets or nuun tablets.

If you want something with some carbs, skratch is the bees knees. That's what I use on 90% of my long rides and I love it

mtbr member
    Skratch Labs or Tailwind for nutrition and electrolytes.

Gu Brew, Nuun, or Hammer Endurolyte Fizz tablets (or similar) for electrolytes and no nutrition but flavors water lightly.

Hammer Endurolyte tabs or something like that if you just want to pop a pill.

You can also make your own. Lots of recipes floating around.

Keep in mind, many times (probably most of the time) cramps are from over use and not from hydration/electrolyte issues. In those cases, it doesn't matter what you take in. Cool down, stretching, massage are things that could help with that. I get the same thing on rides usually 40+ miles long and I use a combination of the above products during the ride and I still get cramps after the ride. Sometimes immediately after, sometimes it can be a few hours later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member

Re: Leg cramps

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Skratch Labs or Tailwind for nutrition and electrolytes.

Gu Brew, Nuun, or Hammer Endurolyte Fizz tablets (or similar) for electrolytes and no nutrition but flavors water lightly.

Hammer Endurolyte tabs or something like that if you just want to pop a pill.

You can also make your own. Lots of recipes floating around.

Keep in mind, many times (probably most of the time) cramps are from over use and not from hydration/electrolyte issues. In those cases, it doesn't matter what you take in. Cool down, stretching, massage are things that could help with that. I get the same thing on rides usually 40+ miles long and I use a combination of the above products during the ride and I still get cramps after the ride. Sometimes immediately after, sometimes it can be a few hours later.
    Good point on most cramping coming from overuse nubster, but he said he doesn't get cramps when drinking Gatorade so it sounds like it's related to hydration/electrolytes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    but he said he doesn't get cramps when drinking Gatorade so it sounds like it's related to hydration/electrolytes
    True.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Straight water.. I used to drink just that till my first race when I ended up on the ground all cramped out lol.

I prefer tailwind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Straight water.. I used to drink just that till my first race when I ended up on the ground all cramped out lol.

I prefer tailwind.

Do you use tailwind for shorter rides/races or just long ones? I wanna try it but man is it expensive. I think I'll buy some and just use it for 3+ hour rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like tailwind for shorter rides and absolutely prefer it for races and hard efforts.

Since I have not been doing any races
    I have been resorting to Gatorade, Powerade, and Vitamin Water since they are readily available locally.

Vitamin water had been the best of those three, but ideally I'd rather have Tailwind.

It's much more minimalistic, u control the strength, and it's just nice.

2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Do you use tailwind for shorter rides/races or just long ones? I wanna try it but man is it expensive. I think I'll buy some and just use it for 3+ hour rides
    Tailwind for long rides where you need the nutrition. Electrolyte tablets for short rides when you may need electrolytes but don't need calories. I like the fizzy tablets you drop in waters. It adds some flavor and about 10 calories and seem to work well for me at least. If I am expecting a really hot day on the bike and 40+ miles, I'll use both Tailwind and a tablet for extra electrolytes since I sweet heavily. No on the bike cramps since I started using these products. I still cramp after the ride but that's most likely from exertion rather than dehydration.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great info, I'm a noob on this stuff. I'll try some of the Skratch and some of the Tailwind mix and see which one agrees with me more.
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    IVe had great luck with simple, magnessium and potassium vitamins. Good minerals with out all the sugar.

mtbr member
    I got a bag of Tailwind, and so far, so good. :-) I'll prob try Skratch after this bag is gone and see which one I prefer. Thx again for the advice.
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I have found that when I drink plain water my legs (and sometime my hands) will cramp up frequently after a hard ride. But, when I drink powerade or gatorade instead of water, I don't get any of the cramping issues. Is there a supplement or something that I can take so that I don't have to drink 2 quarts of gatorade every time I ride? :-) Thanks,
    Add 2 pinches of sea salt to your bottled water. Works just like Gatorade.

mtbr member
    I have been using Tailwind but thinking about trying heed. Any experience with it.

mtbr member
    I get severe charlie horses that knock me off my bike. Not anymore. Now besides enduro light pills every hour, I chew a pack of Kramp Krushers every hour and haven't had a cramp since. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Dynami.../dp/B00HLU207I
    GGR Girl Wendy E