mtbr member
    May 2010

(late)off-season training schedule to share?

It's end of January, I feel riding is coming by May here in Toronto area.

I'd like to take Feb March and April to get in shape BEFORE I start riding.

I have a local gym membership, but am looking at going 3-4 days max, 45mins-1hr max per visit.

Care to suggest a training regimen/schedule I could follow to beef up leg power, overall strength suited for riding, and endurance?

Help!

I'm a 35 year non-smoking male FYI.

Trouser Malfunction
    Steady diet is all. Leg workouts are tough because of the many muscles. I do a bunch of sit-up variations; basic side crunch. Balance, knees and feet raised (mid-situp stance), alternate a medium dumbell across my waist in an arch. This has to be done w/o having one or both legs change their attitude. Kettle-bell type excerise (dumbell on end works) that targets the core -- find grip, lower a weight to the floor between your legs, knees bent, and begin a raising motion of the weight from the shoulders, elbows rigid, rising-stance until standing-fully and the weight at arms length vertical in the air. Keep your core-muscles totally rigid, your back truly straight at all times, or it becomes a failed-effort. Lower the weight in the same fashioned arch and assume the crouched position once more. This one, it's extremely tough because the counter-balance of the weight and the standing activity test your back and abs -- badly! But it's a good plateau to reach.

I don't lift weights to achieve max-weight, I never did. Focus on consistant motion, longer negative-rep movement, and that's the better goal to keeping a routine. Good Luck!

Also, don't just use dumbells in the handle area only. Using a lighter-weight but holding at the end in an excerise, introduces stabilizer muscles. Very important, much like leg muscle development.
    Last edited by Haint; 02-01-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Ommited key techniques
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

Trouser Malfunction
    Another tip requiring no investements other than yourself. When doing a single Dumbell exercise (in-place of two) hold the ends of the dumbell & have a grip like you're trying to rip it apart when in use.

For example, overhead tricept-extensions - you could cup both hands under an end and hang the weight that way, or hold both ends and isolate alot of stabilizers with the firmed, tight-hold.

Comp-type stuff like these are a great way to keep excercise fresh.

mtbr member
    I tend to agree with Haint as far as I focus on core strength with attention to proprioceptive intrinsics rather than lifting for bulk. You didn't say what type of riding you do but if I had four days a week to train I would incorporate spinning into your schedule. This will help greatly with your endurance. Perhaps strength train on days 1 and 3 and spin on 2 and 4. I absolutely hate spinning but I find for me that it's a necessary evil. Those early in the year races are brutal for me if I don't ride/spin during the off-season. I would evaluate and tighten my diet as well. Good luck with your goals, Spring will be here in no time!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Trouser Malfunction
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthoguy View Post
    I tend to agree with Haint as far as I focus on core strength with attention to proprioceptive intrinsics rather than lifting for bulk. You didn't say what type of riding you do but if I had four days a week to train I would incorporate spinning into your schedule. This will help greatly with your endurance. Perhaps strength train on days 1 and 3 and spin on 2 and 4. I absolutely hate spinning but I find for me that it's a necessary evil. Those early in the year races are brutal for me if I don't ride/spin during the off-season. I would evaluate and tighten my diet as well. Good luck with your goals, Spring will be here in no time!
    Something I forgot to mention was with that grip, you get to use much lighter weight -- like half as much.
    Try it as a cool-down set, do them around the House. Definitely alternate muscle-groups and workout dynamics like Orthoguy suggested.

Another trick is to keep Oxygen feeding the body during workouts. So train a set of muscles, triceps for ex., and then w/o much time between, go do calves. Or upper back, and then leg extensions. You get the idea, while growing muscle, the oxygen-replenishing infrastructure in the body gets a workout. After a while of finding a set of weights to use, then you can find the benefits of altering your grip/hold/or half-rep type sets.
    Always breathe out when exerting, and breath in when returning to start a motion.