Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knee Pain

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Knee Pain

I am 28 years old, 6', 175lbs and have been riding for just over a year consistently now. I typically average anywhere from 30-50 miles a week of moderate trail riding. Saturday I set out for a 15 mile ride at 5,500' with no problems. I ended the day with a concert which I was on my feet for a fe hours. Sunday morning, I woke up with pretty severe pain in my right knee primarily in the upper inside part of the kneecap. Does anyone have any suggetstions on what to do? Trying to stay out of the Doc's office for a couple days to see if I can just nurse it for a little bit.

I have iced it and taken minor pain medication to help with some of the pain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Did icing it help? Are you going clipless? Is it swollen?

mtbr member

Knee Pain

I've had this, best way to deal with it is just rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrn12 View Post
    Did icing it help? Are you going clipless? Is it swollen?
    Icing may have helped. I took some ibuprofen so that might have done it as well. I am running clips. Have been for about 10 months now. It doesn't look swollen.

Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    I've had this, best way to deal with it is just rest

I know everyone is different but how long did it take you to recover?

mtbr member

Knee Pain

Well I took me just less than a week but I caught it before it got really bad

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    Well I took me just less than a week but I caught it before it got really bad

That's what I am hoping for. I didn't feel anything during the ride, I think it might have gotten tired from the concert afterwards. Going to take a week off and see how I feel on Sunday.

mtbr member

Knee Pain

Yea, it wasn't the first time it's happened to me, the first time was a lot worse. Took me almost 2 weeks. In pretty sure it's from over usage of the knee or lots of stress on the joint

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Considering maybe removing the clips for a little bit to see if that helps out on the stress. Any thoughts on that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Decided to hit the doctors office today. Did a few resistance tests and some X-rays. Should find out more tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

check foot angle

Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Decided to hit the doctors office today. Did a few resistance tests and some X-rays. Should find out more tomorrow.
    I hope your test show it's nothing too serious. When you get back to biking check your cleat angle relative to your natural foot angle. I've cut and pasted some info below that might help you. best of luck
    " Some knee problems result from incorrect placement of shoe cleats. Everybody has a natural angle that each of their feet prefers to be at; some are duck-footed, some are pigeon-toed, whatever. When you walk or ride with plain pedals, your foot assumes this angle, and everything is hunky-dory. If you use cleated shoes and matching pedals, it is important that the cleat is adjusted so as to permit your foot to be at its natural angle. If your cleats are misadjusted, the resulting twist on your lower leg will affect the alignment of the knee joint, and cause serious problems.This is less of an issue if you ride pedals with "float" (limited rotational freedom) in the cleat attachment. Most newer clipless pedals offer at least some float."

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Knee Pain

I appreciate it. I also have found some articles about that. I plan on making some changes to the cleats and the seat angle to correct this. Might also change up the pedals every couple of weeks on my longer rides.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Knee Pain

Considering maybe removing the clips for a little bit to see if that helps out on the stress. Any thoughts on that?
    Switching to flat pedals? That helps if the cleats are not aligned well, as mentioned here, but they do have zero float through the pedaling motion - your foot stays where you put it on pins - and can make it worse, not better.

If you think a random bout of pain is troublesome, wait until you in you forties+. . Just rest it, and get one of those rollers to loosen up your leg muscles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just thought it might have something to do with the angle of the toes (inward or outward) so that might help. I am already stretching on a roller and have taken the week off. Planning on trying to do a short ride Sunday to see how it feels.

bikerbert

Knee Pain

When was the last time you had a bike fit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Knee Pain

It was fitted for me when I was looking at models. Having a dropper post doesn't help though

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Knee Pain

I have the same problem I find mine increases with hard hard pedaling with my 1x system I am awaiting my bike with x01 I'm hopping this will help a little

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Keep icing it. Try flats or different cleats......being tired should not cause pain.....something is not right. And a x-ray will not show much...if this continues......get a MRI as it will show soft tissue....x-rays are good for seeing bone. Where are on your knee was the pain? Center like down the center under your knee cap? Left or right of your knee cap?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Knee Pain

Did a relatively flat 7.5 mile trail ride at about 20%. Felt pretty good but I didn't want to push it. Before the ride, I slid my seat back and adjusted the pad on the bottom of my shoes away from the toe.

The pain in the knee is in my right knee cap towards the inside, top at about 2-3 o'clock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After a solid 4 week build up back into riding, it came back again on a short and relatively flat mountain ride. Going to keep stretching and taking it easy. Any other suggestions? Trying to avoid another doc appointment for a little bit but I am sure it'll be needed within the next couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Stop icing it and heat it. There is insufficient evidence to suggest that cryotherapy improves clinical outcome in the management of soft tissue injuries. Study included in link.

People, We?ve Got to Stop Icing. We Were Wrong, Sooo Wrong. | MobilityWOD
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think that article is talking about applying ice directly to the injured area. I usually use a towel as a barrier to avoid any damage to the skin. If I had the ability to get heat pads at work after working out, I would do so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think that article is talking about applying ice directly to the injured area. I usually use a towel as a barrier to avoid any damage to the skin. If I had the ability to get heat pads at work after working out, I would do so.
    No it's not, RICE is crap, don't do it. Read bro. Stop being the twat that asks for help but doesn't take the advice.

Sports Injuries - RICE: Why We Do Not Recommend It | Caring Medical
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Irisihpitbull it's not really this simple. Cooling muscles/tissue/joints down works perfectly fine, just as well as warming them up does. But it depends on injury, so there's no "RICE works great every time" as there's also no "RICE is crap stop doing it". For some cases ice is solution, for other heat is solution. When it gets really bad, it's pretty easy to see which option you use. Basically it is, if your muscle/joint is hot, use ice, if it's cold use heat. But problem is, injuries need to be pretty severe to feel yourself if it's hot or cold, and here's the hard part to know which one you would use.
    But one thing I stick with... I stay away from all sort of todays "health and medical gurus" you find on internet (and unfortunately more and more often in fitness centers and all sort of "healing" facilities). Most of them were cashiers in store or whatever their yesterday's profession was, until week ago they found out holly grail which changed their life, they read two web pages, one book and maybe went to seminar of another such "expert" who was in this business for whole week already, and all of a sudden they know everything about everything... including treating injuries. So unless you have lots of experiences and knowledge yourself, I suggest you try to find person with good knowledge and some official medical degree, not someone self proclaimed "expert" and listen what they tell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Knee Pain

I'm got an appt with my physical therapist next week. He's a former NY Mets trainer so hopefully he knows what he's talking about.

mtbr member
    Did you at all hear a pop during the ride or later that evening (i'm guessing not if it was at a concert)? One of the most common knee injuries is a meniscus tear, and it is actually quite easy to occur. The upper inside of the knee can also indicate the MCL (medial collateral ligament). Have you gotten results from the MRI? I agree with everyone that cold therapy is really important. Once the swelling is down (and hopefully any internal inflammation), you need to start getting the blood flowing in there. The knee has the least amount of blood flow of any part of our bodies, this being why knee injuries take so long to heal. I wish you all the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast