Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Knee Pain

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Knee Pain

No pop. They got the MRI back and it just showed a lot of inflammation. Just been taking it kind of easy compared to what I've done in the past. Thanks you all for the feedback

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    All,

I can relate to the knee pain topic. I've wanted to join a forum like this to shine some light on this topic, as I am a licensed physical therapist who just underwent knee surgery for the removal of my medial plica. Island, my knee pain started the same way - medial knee pain that came after a long ride. It was my first of the season and my rig wasn't set up properly (seat too high). From there, my last riding season was affected by knee pain on and off, i.e. there was inflammation that would come and go.

First thing I did was get my bike fit dialed by a professional, but unfortunately once the inflammation cycle starts, it is hard to break, and unfortunately for me this recurrent cycle caused the formation of painful scar tissue in my knee. Inflammation is a part of a natural healing process, but it doesn't discontinue if there is repeat damage (from riding).

So here I am, 3 days out from my plice removal. Everything else looked pristine in the my knee joint, so removing the scarred/mechanically irritating tissue should be the fix. Knee is swollen and stiff (normal for post-op), but I know in a month it's going to be all good. Looking back, I wish I knew more about natural anti-inflammatory agents such as Concentrate Tart Cherry Juice. I get the best naturally grown Montmerency cherries directly from the farm in Michigan (King Orchards). Take a peak at this website: Choose Cherries | Cherry Marketing Institute too. IF I could go back, using this product could have kept my inflammation under control and decreased the amount of scar tissue formation, thus causing less pain. It will take commitment; I drink the concentrate 2x/day now. Let me know if you have any questions.

Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I also wanted to mention that there are several other mechanica factors that can contribute to your patellofemoral pain. These can include tight soft tissue structures that cause a malalignment of your patellar tracking. This can also be due to weak quad muscles (VMO) and weak hip muscles. I encourage you to see a local PT that works with athletes. There is so much to review with the anatomy and physiology. Talking about it online doesn't do this justice. Either way, look into the cherry juice concentrate and highly consider a regimen. I noticed changes in 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Knee Pain

I'll check that stuff out tonight when I get home. Thank you for your feedback!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seems like a good concept. Not cheap by any means though! I am going to have to look around at local shops first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbis View Post
    I also wanted to mention that there are several other mechanica factors that can contribute to your patellofemoral pain. These can include tight soft tissue structures that cause a malalignment of your patellar tracking. This can also be due to weak quad muscles (VMO) and weak hip muscles. I encourage you to see a local PT that works with athletes. There is so much to review with the anatomy and physiology. Talking about it online doesn't do this justice. Either way, look into the cherry juice concentrate and highly consider a regimen. I noticed changes in 2 weeks.
    Great post. I was going to comment along the same lines.

Last time I had lower back pain I went to my doctor and asked for a script for a Physical Therapist. I really doesn't make any sense to me to have a doctor evaluate my motor function. I had great results with the PT plus it saved me a ton of money skipping all of the other diagnostics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Some states allow physical therapy to be "Direct Access", meaning you can skip seeing your primary physician and go right to PT. I see patient's through direct access on a daily basis. We will check patient's insurance to ensure there will be no coverage issues beforehand, so I recommend you and others do the same. Therapists' expertise is in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal system. Spread the good word!

PT, DPT

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I thought the same thing when I saw the price! Then I realized how much I would spend on Advil, Ibuprofen, etc. And then I thought about how much I put into my bike! It's really a nominal fee for your health. Without feeling good nothing else matters. Give it committed try. What do you have to lose, $20? Well worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbis View Post
    Some states allow physical therapy to be "Direct Access", meaning you can skip seeing your primary physician and go right to PT. I see patient's through direct access on a daily basis. We will check patient's insurance to ensure there will be no coverage issues beforehand, so I recommend you and others do the same. Therapists' expertise is in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal system. Spread the good word!

PT, DPT
    A my work we have numerous physical therapists at our finger tips. They found a lot of inflammation so he has me on a recovery workout for the next couple of weeks.

Picked up some tart cherries and supplements and they aren't too bad. Going to give them 3-4 weeks and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    .GET a LYME antibody test if pain does not resolve in 2 weeks

Dirt Huffer
    If it's happening to only one leg, that leg might be your short leg. You may want to shim that sides cleat.

mtbr member
    I have read in other forums that adjusting seat height helps. Most say this type of injury occurred when the seat was too low.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i got rid of my QR seatpost clamp.... for a regular one, to ensure my fit stays consistent, thus reducing the likelihood of knee pain (my left knee)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2