mtbr member
    Dec 2013

kentogenic diet and energy

Is any one here on this diet I have been told by my doctor to start this due to my sugar being high. Does you energy stay the same while riding and what should I use for fuel on the trail as well I have no clue any help would be great thanks.

mtbr member
    I tried it. It sucks. A person can only eat so much meat and fat before they start feeling like garbage.

A friend of mine has juvenile diabetes and has an insulin pump and he does well eating a diet high in protein and lots of veggies and some fruit. Basically he's Paleo.
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-18-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    OK

first, don't try to control blood sugar with severe ketogenic diet alone, and expect to hammer. if you can control it with diet but not go severe ketogenic that is advisable. what is more advisable is use insulin and just eat like a normal person and test blood sugar. of all the prescription ways to control blood sugar insulin is the cleanest (but also most dangerous if done badly)

actos, metformin...all those pills that can control type 2 or very mild type 1 wreck you on the bike when going super hard super long

------------------
    OK aside from that what to do on the bike ? you drink a sports drink like any other rider would. try to ingest 20-24oz water and 60 grams carb per hour for sustained hammering.

to pre-fuel for events, carbo loading is the way to go, but if you have blood sugar issues that might not be doable. so you just need to ride more and more on a paleo or partial keto diet and your body will get used to burning fats better for fuel. but you will need to carb up sometime...that is why I suggest insulin...type 1 type 2 doesn't matter you can carbo load like a normal person, to a point.

anyway your mileage will vary. you need to use keto test strips for urine and blood sugar testing if you REALLY want to sort this out for yourself accurately. And do not forget, while on the bike and mashing the pedals, 60 grams carb per hour intake.

now in rare circumstances some athletes blood sugar goes up during hard efforts, if this is you then perhaps no 60 grams carb per hour...but this is truly rare.

test test test blood sugar before and after efforts, and test test test urine is the true answer

*NOTE: by effort and hammering I am thinking 2-3 hours in the big ring minimum

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the answers guys I am not diabetic but my doctor is worried that is coming. I look into some other choices for diets and see I will also talk to him to see what he recomemds about my riding and fuel intake thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So he wants to control the potential of you developing diabetes.

None of us know your situation and you should always see a doctor for any advice but if this way me I would get a second opinion on that one. Going to a diet like keto as a preventative measure is drastic, maybe you need a drastic change I have no idea.

But personally I would
    1.Go see another trusted doctor for a second opinion.

2.Go see a sports nutritionist after the doctor with a referral to speak more in depth about diet options and how to eat day to day and on exercise days.

That is what I personally would do in that situation, I am not qualified in anyway and don't know your situation so take any advice here at your own risk. You should always follow your doctors advice as they know your personal condition.

mtbr member
    ^ as an insulin dependent type 1 hammerhead, I agree with Driftking.

I will add: see en endocrinologist who specializes in diabetics if you can find one and double, one who specializes in sports and diabetics (they exist but are rare)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

127, what is a "very mild type 1"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    127, what is a "very mild type 1"?
    someone whose c-peptide is low proving type 1 but still produces enough insulin that they may get away with managing it with type 2 drugs for an undetermined amount of time...or manages it with insulin but extremely low doses. type 1 is not always all or nothing, it can start slowly and get worse over time. in the early stages, that is what I meant by 'mild'

put it another way:

-severe would be in the category of one day without insulin would equal coma, blood sugar above 1600. that is essentially zero insulin made by the body

-mild would be 4 months without insulin would make you feel pretty cruddy, blood sugar around 600

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Good explanation.

I spose my question stemmed from people saying 'good' and 'bad' diabetes. Eg. Oh, you have an insulin pump, you must have bad diabetes?

I'm also a type 1 hammerhead. Get my 25 year pin this year

Cheers.