mtbr member

Just started biking again, need tips for energy.

I just got my Cobia last week and started training for a 150k MS ride I'm doing with my son end of Sept.
    I haven't ridden in 10 years so I'm way behind on nutrition for pre, during, and post rides.
    Can you give me some examples of what I should consume prior to a ride, what should I have in my bottle/pocket during a ride, and what should I have afterwards to recover?

I'm riding at least 3 times a week with shorter (5 mile) high cadence 90-95rpm and a longer weekend ride if at least 10 miles at 85-90 rpm.
    As the weeks go by I'm adding more miles to each session. Any recommendations or advice?

Sent via mental telepathy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nutrition is different for everyone but I will tell you what works for me. When I started riding a few years ago I thought I needed to eat huge amounts of food the morning of a ride to feel strong for that day's ride but later learned this was only hurting me with digestion issues, etc. These days I'll eat 300-500 calories before a good ride then use gel or a powder like perpetuem (for 3+ hour rides) during the ride. I really like fruit smoothies before rides as they give me plenty of easily digestible fuel and don't give me any weird digestion issues. Other great options include oatmeal with a bit of peanut butter and honey, whole fruits and veggies (watch the fiber intake though), a couple pancakes, etc. As I mentioned before, I prefer gels or powder mixes while riding, simply for the convenience. With running or road biking, I find liquid fuels are a must as solids give me severe cramps but with mountain biking I can eat things like clif bars or even sandwiches without issue. After a ride, it's good to re-up your body with some lean proteins and even some carbs. Just about any decent meal will suffice. As with anything, you'll have to find what works for you. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Are there during ride gels or packs you recommend? I read about one brand that you buy and use to refill a little reusable flask about the same size as those packs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I really like Hammer Gel because it tastes good and goes down easy but I like Gu Gels as well. Hammer does come in a big 20oz jug so you can put it in a flask which is nice because you don't have to worry about the little packets falling on the ground and making us look bad! No need to over-think it for now. Just do some browsing through the nutrition section and see what works for others, then do some experimenting. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks for the info. My LBS recommends hammer as well. They said there's a flavor that has a little caffeine in it as well so I may try that to.

Save Jesus
    Check the endurance riding forum for food tips for really long rides.

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    Have heard alot about athletes picking up a protien snack post-workout. Almonds have worked great for my oldest son during base training for XC this year. Keep well in the heat and whatnot. I've never had much luck w/ any solid snacks less than 3 hours before or during workouts. Not sure if this works for you, but might help to carb-load the evening before your long ride, with pasta or rice, and very little meat. As mentioned above, fruits are great for the moning of a long ride, with some grains if you've got enough time to digest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Im no nutritionist, but I never overload before I go on a ride. I eat a normal portion for breakfast ( or lunch, whatever time of the day im riding) or even on the leaner side. An hour or so before ill blend up 2 bannanas 4 strawberries a handfull of mixed berries. spoonfull of peanut butter and im ready to go. Clif bar on the ride and im set. I try and stay on the leaner side so my blood sugar doesnt go haywire

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i forgot about the orange juice with a hint of cranberry!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice. I did my first long run today. 13 miles maintaining a minimum of 80 rpm the whole way. I started the morning at 0600 with some fruit, honey dew, cantelope, and strawberries followed by a tropical hammer gel diluted. A glass a water and I headed out to the garage to stretch and go over my tire pressures and general inspection. It took me an hour because on one hill I would have had to give it every thing I had and I was only half way home. At the 30 minute point I knocked down another gel and the whole way I was drawing water off my Osprey pack. I sweat a lot.
    I did use something that did wonders for me. I got a sunblocker head cap called the Halo. It fits like a stocking but has a rubber strip that goes across your forehead on the inside. It kept the sweat out my eyes the whole time.
    Now I'm going inside to drink a Hammer Regenerate protein shake.

Thanks again for all your advice.

mtbr member
    When I am going to ride 15+ miles with the fast fellows, I add NoSHOTGUN to some water 30 minutes before. It's a pre=workout powder but keeps you charged up and focused. I usually only go with 1 scoop (I use 2 when lifting) and it seems to give me a little edge.

As for food, I eat my normal meals. I am a pretty healthy eater and I don't change my diet regardless of next day activity.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM