mtbr member

Interesting observation on cramping

I ride Mountain Bike on singletrack and a recumbent on the road. I never cramp MTBing. Even on the hottest days. However, I go through periods that, occasionally, after about 35 miles on a hot day on the recumbent the adductor muscle in my right leg cramps. I do have nerve damage in my right leg from back surgery. Doctor thinks it's because my muscle doesn't fire right and with my legs equal to or above my heart, it leads to cramping. Any experts want to chime in?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm not an expert...

I ride large volume 29er's everywhere... 3,400+ miles worth last year (and occasionally recumbent trikes and quad wheeled tandems).

I occasionally feel my left adductor cramp briefly (with leg below heart)- tends to occur when I do a standing quad stretch (heel touching rear) before or after a ride. I rode 87 miles on my MTB the other week and didn't feel it at all... so it is not distance related in my case. I've never felt my right adductor cramp.

FWIW- I had ACL replacement surgery 10 years ago on my right knee (1st major injury after 30 years of playing soccer). Fully recovered (with more than 1 year of rehab!) though my right leg never can quite fully extend since the surgery...

Get to dah choppah
    Cramping is rare while MTB'ing mostly because the effort level is rarely sustained for a long enough duration to induce spasms.
    If your leg strength is unequal, the weaker will overload more quickly.

I've not heard a claim that riding a recumbent leads to cramps more quickly than a conventional bike.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c