Thread: Hypoglycemic

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Hypoglycemic

Sorry I'm not a nutritionist by any means. My whole life I have had an incredibly fast metabolism. I have also never been very athletic except skateboarding throughout high school for fun and as means of transportation. In high school I would get these dizzy spells rarely and was tested to see if I were Anemic, and I was not. Then I started commuting in college on a bicycle and one day at work I got so dizzy I had to leave sick early and make a Dr. app. They tested me and the dr. said I was hypoglycemic and I ate too much starch (love for french fries and potato chips) and should eat things like beans more often. Since then in age (23 now) I have gained more weight and no longer look malnourished like when growing up and I partake in more outdoor activities.

My point is I feel like I burn food or nutrition faster than the average person. Often times on mountain bike rides or kayak trips I get dangerously hungry and if I do not stop to snack I will perform poorly, and often that can result in a crash while mountain biking. However, I feel foolish because I am usually the only person in the group who needs to snack and everyone else can go a whole ride. I'm relatively healthy except my addiction to pizza. I eat 3 meals a day and snack on a lot of nuts.

Does anyone else have this problem of a feelings of malnutrition while doing anything physically strenuous? I really feel like it has put a damper on my athletic ability my whole life. Any tips? I really hate the taste of bars. Power bars, luna bars, cliffs bars. Yuck!

EDIT: I read some "snack" forums in the nutrition thread and the reason for my asking is because I am only doing like 9 mile rides and still getting a little malnourished. So some similar insight would be nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm in the same boat as you are, at least, I think I am (very fast metabolism).. I've never been to a doctor or anything to get it tested, but my symptoms are "eat everything, no weight gain", extremely moody when I start to get hungry, especially in the morning; I find that eating 3-4 bowls of cereal clears that up though, due to the sugar content.

Again, I'm not sure what this is, or if it is anything, but I always travel with snacks and water. My snacks for a typical 6-8 hour ride include a hershey's chocolate bar for the first 1/4, a sack of trail mix with peanuts, sesame seeds, and m&m's for the 1/2 marker, and a few peices of teriyaki beef jerkey seems to keep me up to speed, per se. All the while, every 10-15 minutes, I'll have my water intake to 1 swallow of water. Depending on weather conditions, I usually go through 2L of water roughly.

My advice is to follow your "instinct" on when and what to eat, but don't be a glutton. If your adventure partners don't know, you should probably inform them, that way they don't think you're just some lightweight that is bringing the group down. If they disagree, then it is time to find a new group. Safety first, ya know?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not a nutritionist either, but I used to have hypoglycemia quite a bit. I found that it had a lot to do with how much sugar I ate. Your doctor recommended that you eat less starch because starch turns to sugar. Beans, veggies, fruit, whole grains, nuts are better because they metabolize more slowly. Check out this excellent video sometime when you have extra time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderland View Post
    I'm not a nutritionist either, but I used to have hypoglycemia quite a bit. I found that it had a lot to do with how much sugar I ate.
    Same here, I found that reducing the amount of sweet/sugary foods I consumed really, really helped in eliminating the feeling of "If I don't eat now, I'm going to kill someone".

mtbr member

Re: Hypoglycemic

Me four. I suddenly get to a point where I'm weak like some 80 lb dork and as crabby as a crazy *****. I've had girlfriends tease "oh, is it feeding time? "
    It's not funny feeling this way though.
    I also end with a migraine if I let myself get to this point.

Save Jesus
    Maybe you should bias your nutrition more towards protein and fats and fruits and veggies with fiber. They will leave you feeling full for longer and are a slower release form of energy.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    you can drink a lot of calories, which might be easier than snacking.

mtbr member
    I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia almost a year and a half ago. Nutrition is key to helping with the symptoms. Complex carbohydrates, veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats are important. I try to time my rides with my eating schedule. I usually eat something light but with complex carbohydrates and protein about an hour before I first start pedaling. Then throughout the ride I like to drink Hammer Heed with water, it helps keep my blood sugar at tolerable levels, but I find that it will only last me for about two hours max. Small snacks work as well, like sugar free peanut butter on a slice of 100% whole grain wheat bread and an apple. Just some suggestions, good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Desert RAT
    I too was hypoglycemic,until I became Vegan.My life as a whole got better. I got faster on my bike ,my mood changed and my hypoglycemia went away. You need more complex carbs, more fruit. Ditch those chips, ease up of the nuts. The nuts are protein and fat. You need good carbs. Candy bars are not good carbs either. Try eating dates on your rides they are the superfruit for cyclists. 811 is the key number 80% carbs 10% fat 10% protein.

mtbr member
    I recommend eating a high protein breakfast.

Mix some whey with a glass a milk & cereal, and add a teaspoon of flaxseed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm Hypoglycemic as well also around your age, one thing I do is make sure I eat before a ride, don't ever ride on an empty stomach. My secret weapon is ensure plus its a "Meal replacement " and Pedialyte before I ride and I eat cliff shot bloks while I ride doing this I'm able to ride without breaks, give it a try...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I concur that a whole foods plant based diet will give you much better control than anything. Read the China Study for a good background on this and how it relates to diseases, diabetes etc. My wife is a type one insulin dependent diabetic and this diet has made a big difference for her.
    Here is a search I did with some interesting reading. https://www.google.com/search?q=hypo...ient=firefox-a

mtbr member
    I used to have reactive hypoglycemia, which is when your blood sugar crashes after having high glycemic index foods (sweets, etc). It took a few years and a lot of discipline but I was able to heal by eating well (cutting sugar mostly, adding lots of veggies and eating meat). I also practiced stretching out the time between meals. I went from having to eat every couple hours and now I can last all day without food.

I think breakfast cereals are the worst thing. Whenever I started my day off that way, the rest of my day was hard to manage.

The OP sounds like what I used to have exactly. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post

My point is I feel like I burn food or nutrition faster than the average person. Often times on mountain bike rides or kayak trips I get dangerously hungry and if I do not stop to snack I will perform poorly, and often that can result in a crash while mountain biking. However, I feel foolish because I am usually the only person in the group who needs to snack and everyone else can go a whole ride. I'm relatively healthy except my addiction to pizza. I eat 3 meals a day and snack on a lot of nuts.
    I had this type of problem of always being hungry in between meals but I solved that already. The problem was the wheat. Anything made with gluten like bread, pasta, cakes etc will make people hungry every 90 minutes. Cut out all wheat, barley, and rye food products and high carb foods like rice & potatoes. Eat protein and pleanty of good fats like coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds, avacados, and meat fats. The you won't be hungry for 7 hours. For more info see Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight.
    Get the whetbelly book too.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    My sister in law is a dietitian (and a good one too...CNN, local news, books, etc) and we've been trying to help me through similar conditions. I don't necessarily have a super fast metabolism but my issue is with the crashes on rides. I live in Georgia now and most of my rides are short, 8-12 miles of punchy climbs and short descents. I'm on a single speed most of the time so I'm putting out a pretty hard effort. Since I try to ride early she told me to eat oatmeal but not the instant crap because of the added sugar. I'll add frozen fruit, protein powder, flax seed, honey, granola and wheat germ. It burns slow and that's the key for me. Slow burning, low glycemic foods. However, I also find that I do need some sugars on those short rides so she actually had me try to mix powdered (powdered doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it) Gatorade and unflavored Heed. It seems to work ok for me.

However, I'm doing a 6 hour race next month and then an 80 mile race the month after that. Nutrition is going to be key so I'm experimenting and yesterday I tried a peanut butter sandwich with honey, bananas and some granola on wheat. I also had bottled Gatorade because it was hot as balls in TN where we were riding and that's all I had. Dude, I hit the wall HARD. I don't know if it's because of what I ate or if it's the Gatorade ( I didn't have my HEED with me) but whatever it was, I just hit the wall and couldn't climb or barely get out of the saddle for anything. After about 35 minutes I was fine.

I also get dehydrated like a mofo on long rides too...anyways, bottom line is you got to experiment and find what works for your body but cutting out simple carbs is probably step number one.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty