mtbr member
    Jan 2012

hydration pack advice

im looking to buy a hydration pack but i need one that can hold a lunchbox of food, tools, a bottle of water and possible a jacket. i have a budget of up to 30-40 pound.

could anyone help?

thanks

mtbr member
    Look at the Osprey line of packs...very nice and feature-laden.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Rides the Desert
    Yea Ospreys is good.

mtbr member
    The magnetic bite-value is no-joke, I LOVE IT. No more tube bouncing around. I have had Camelbak products for years and they are fine, but the Osprey just is much nicer IMHO. I have a smaller pack, the Viper 7; I rarely ride more than 2 hours and am always a short hike back to civilization.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I'm having the same problem. I now use my old army bag which is a giant CamelBak "Mother Load", way to big for what I need. I need something slightly bigger than the Osprey's, carry small tool kit, first aid, extra tubes, pump, and snacks, also water bladder. Anybody have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Look at the Osprey line of packs...very nice and feature-laden.
    +2 I have had camelbaks and a new Osprey pack. The Osprey feels better, and has way more options. Nothing against Camelbaks but the Osprey is a really top notch pack.

mtbr member
    The Osprey options are probably pretty limited for only 40pounds. They are on the highend of the price range when it comes to hydration packs. That said, they are good quality and certainly worth the money. CamelBak is good stuff as well. Personally, I love my HydraPak though the one I got is a little small. When I can afford it, I'll get a larger pack, another HydraPak.
    Last edited by Nubster; 05-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Rides the Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by tatt22d View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I now use my old army bag which is a giant CamelBak "Mother Load", way to big for what I need. I need something slightly bigger than the Osprey's, carry small tool kit, first aid, extra tubes, pump, and snacks, also water bladder. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Osprey can go as big as you need. Look at Syncro 15, Viper 13, and Raptor 14 or 18 depending on what you want. You could probably get by with just a 10 since I carry all that stuff in mine plus some extras like paracord, binoculars and a Ka-bar depending on the occasion....I would suggest a larger one though because I cant fit much along the lines of even the lightest spare clothing. One the stretch pocket on my Raptor 10 I can barely fit work gloves.

I have a thread forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/osprey-781813.html

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have been quite content with my Camelbak Mule. I think it will hold what you need. Also depends a bit on how much water capacity you want.

Maybe when it breaks I will step up to an Osprey.