mtbr member

Hydration Bladder Hygiene

What's your thoughts on cleaning your hydration bladder? After 3 years of riding I've yet to wash mine or have any funky growth inside. Here's my secret.

After each ride I drain or fill my 2L bladder to L - L based on the time of year. Hot summer days may even constitute me leaving a full liter in the bladder. I then use the hose to blow the bladder up with air. Once it's pretty tout I lay it on its back in the freezer with the fill port and hose up, making sure the water level is below both. 30 minutes before I leave for my ride I take it out of the freezer to let mainly the fill port thaw. I remove the cap, fill it full, then have ice cold water for hours. By putting the bladder in the freezer not only do I have ice water to drink, but gunk don't grow inside the bladder because it's in the freezer. Anybody else have a better method?

2015 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Only major components that are still stock on my bike is the Reverb dropper and SLX brakes.
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Only major components that are still stock on my bike, the Reverb dropper and SLX brakes.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Soap and water every once in awhile. Camelbak bladders in my experience, rarely have issues.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    Soap and water every once in awhile. Camelbak bladders in my experience, rarely have issues.
    My first hydrating pack was an off brand Ledge Sports Jem. The bladder was much easier to deal with than my Camelbak Charge. With the Charge the hose has a quick connect and I remove the bladder after each ride but leave the hose routed through the Camelback. That concerns me as it could have growth in it.

2015 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Only major components that are still stock on my bike is the Reverb dropper and SLX brakes.
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Only major components that are still stock on my bike, the Reverb dropper and SLX brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by IRBent View Post
    My first hydrating pack was an off brand Ledge Sports Jem. The bladder was much easier to deal with than my Camelbak Charge. With the Charge the hose has a quick connect and I remove the bladder after each ride but leave the hose routed through the Camelback. That concerns me as it could have growth in it.

2015 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Just blow the air out of the hose and let it dry. You can buy just the hose for under 20$, so if it worries you, it might be worth changing the hose every year or so.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Camelbak also sells a cleaning kit that is pretty effective. They even have a hose brush.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Denture cleaner tablets give my Osprey its minty fresh taste.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcs View Post
    Denture cleaner tablets give my Osprey its minty fresh taste.

Yep, throw about a half dozen in there and rinse afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
    It's fine. Don't try to categorize everything. Except e-bikes, those fall firmly into the "suck" category.

mtbr member
    I've never done anything to my hydration bladders. I come home, hang it up till the next ride. When it comes time to fill the bladder...I just rinse it out and add water. I've never had any funkyness inside. It's going on four years of regular use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I put a teaspoon of baking soda or sea salt in when I fill up. That funky stuff doesn't like it and some extra electolyyes for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    1 word:

FREEZER

3yrs, no funk, same hose, no issues.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

eri
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought a big plastic handle of gin at the supermarket. The cheapest stuff. I labelled the bottle well and it lives under the kitchen sink.

Every week or so I fill my 3L osprey bladder with gin. Let it sit overnight, then drain back into the bottle. Then leave it out to air dry (the gin speeds that massively.)

Seems to have halted the crud and everything tastes of juniper (which I adore.)

mtbr member
    Well, that's a first I bet. LOL

2015 Santa Cruz Bronson
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson

mtbr member
    Usually just wash it out with soap and water but on the odd occasion I've forgotten and it's gone a bit many I've thrown one of these in: http://amzn.to/2r0CCV7

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I've never done anything to my hydration bladders. I come home, hang it up till the next ride. When it comes time to fill the bladder...I just rinse it out and add water. I've never had any funkyness inside. It's going on four years of regular use.
    Same here for the most part, but I don't even drain or rinse; just add more water. Been doing this for mine and my son's for years without any issue. As long as it is straight water, you are OK.

mtbr member
    Freezer for me, when one isn't being used for awhile. When it's being rinsed and refilled regularly, I don't worry over it.
    If you want to avoid using soap that can be hard to rinse out, or having to buy tabs, try mouthwash.

Really liking that idea of freezing it partially full of water. Packing it with ice cubes works, but that'd be one less thing to do before heading out the door.

mtbr member
    I just rinse it out and dry it. As long as it's totally dry nothing is going to grow in there. I also rinse it before filling it.

We have Hydropack bladders which open fully at the top. It's such a good design I don't know why more people haven't adopted it.