trainer
    Nov 2010

Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?

I have seen a few comments from riders using a hydration bladder in a frame bag. Does anyone have any experience with this? It sounds like a great combination to me. I have a Revelate Tangle frame bag and would like to give it a try. Are there any issues with "draw from a bag mounted horizontally? etc? I appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    seems like it would work well. you would want a bite valve that keeps air from getting back in to the pack, OR just make sure the hose outlet is at the lowest point on the bag. i have not done this myself though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did a test run with a 6L bag filled up about half way in a frame bag that sits all the way in the bottom of the frames main triangle. I didn't like the feel for a couple of reasons. The pack bulged out and frequently my ginormous (LOL) calves would rub. The sloshing seemed to be detectable, but I am willing to chalk that up to an overactive imagination. It also seemed like it would be stressful on the pack.

I wound up carry a full 6L MSR dromedry and a 3L HydroPak on my back and did not have any issues at 46 years old and 155lb.

I might consider having something custom made, but if you set up bike up correctly for carrying the weight on your back then you should be ok.

trainer
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Bill and GHam, good advice on the bite valve. I am only looking to carry about 100 oz in the fram bag to eliminate carrying the back pack. I am a big guy 6'1" and 220 and want to avoid the back pack especially in hot weather when I need the fluid the most!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can relate to the no hydration pack on back thing ..I went through that a few years back. You might consider getting the MSR dromesdry bag as it holds it's shape better than most and can with stand oiling and freezing. The tubes for drinking directly out of the bladder are sold separately. tho.

nocturnal oblivion

here's mine

I use a platypus 2L reservoir with the soda cap type opening. The big, camelback style openings just take up too much space in the bag.
    I route the hose up to the bar and keep it clipped to a cable by a name badge alligator clip thing.
    Works great, the weight is very centered and low so it really is not very noticeable. Manuals, jumps, other foolhardiness is not significantly affected. The benefits are obvious (no backpack).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?-p8270065.jpg  

"...like sex with the trail." - Boe

nocturnal oblivion
    And that setup ^^^ holds about 1.75L max water with cell phone, couple cliff bars, couple gels, tube, and patch kit.
    The above is maximum capacity for that Jandd bag, note the pump attached to the frame. If I want to carry a bit more I put on the seat bag.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

trainer
    Nov 2010
    Stumble, Thanks for the info and pic your setup looks like what I am looking for!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    I use a platypus 2L reservoir with the soda cap type opening. The big, camelback style openings just take up too much space in the bag.
    I route the hose up to the bar and keep it clipped to a cable by a name badge alligator clip thing.
    Works great, the weight is very centered and low so it really is not very noticeable. Manuals, jumps, other foolhardiness is not significantly affected. The benefits are obvious (no backpack).
    Is that this pack:?

Frame Pack
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Maybe a hydro bladder with some airpressure to squirt the drink up to you =
    Hydration Packs with In-line water Filters and Pack Bladders by Geigerrig

WHen my pack needs a new bladder considering this one....
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    Nice. I want to try this.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went this route two years ago and have never looked back. I bought my frame pack from Joe Tonsager, J.Paks LLC he makes custom frame bags after you send him a template of your frame. My reservoir is on the non drive side and can hold a 100oz bladder, non drive side also has two pockets for other stuff. The drive side is one big pocket that holds my pump, pump straps hold it in place, and two small ockets for my multi tool, snacks, etc. The possibilities are practically endless. Joe is a pleasure to deal with, very customer focused, he is a mountain biker, and knows what our needs are and designs accordingly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?-dscn0014.jpg  

Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?-dscn0013.jpg  

Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?-dscn0011.jpg  

Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?-dscn0016.jpg  

Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?-dscn0015.jpg  

Hydration Bladder in a frame bag?-dscn0012.jpg  

mtbr member

Have my jpak on order! Looking forward to losing the backpack!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member

Had my paks for awhile now, love not carrying a backpack anymore. Due to my frame I had to go to a smaller hydration bladder but if concerned I can always haul more water on the front forks. HIGHLY recommend jpaks and getting a frame bag for 90% of the population!

Sent from magic wish granting phone