mtbr member
    Apr 2013

How often to drink

I know how important it is to drink water. I know how much needs to be consumed per hour. My question is how often to drink. Many say a sip or tow every few minutes. Why is that better than a half bottle every half hour?

mtbr member
    Before you're thirsty... If you wait until you're thirsty (or hungry, for food), you've waited too long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    First of all, there's really no rule how much to drink. How much water (or fluid as you can have something else then water too) you need depends on effort you are making, on weather conditions (temperature, humidity...), on sport, and many other different things. But let's forget about this, and let's assume you know how much you need... as you are basically only one who really know how much >YOU< need.
    Why is little bit every few minutes better then half bottle every half hour? Simply, because there's no way you can drink half bottle at once when doing sport. You can't digest so much in so short time. Few sips are easier for you to handle, especially when you do this during high(er) intensity workout. Personally I still don't drink every few minutes, but in all this time I have been in sport (including quite few years of pro xc skiing), I have learned to drink every 15-20mins, so you slowly get this into subconsciousness and you automatically reach for bottle often enough that you never get thirsty or even dehydrated (you get dehydrated before you get thirsty).

mtbr member
    I always find this a difficult thing as well. During a workout or bike ride, I will feel so thirsty and parched but if I drink more than a couple mouthfuls I end up feeling bloating almost and it makes it harder to continue. I definitely agree to only drink a little but god that can be hard sometimes when your soooo tired and thursty

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thing is, you shouldn't even get to stage, where you feel thirsty. Pretty important thing is to stay hydrated through the day, which is especially important during hot periods. But thing is, during hot months it's actually easier to stay hydrated, as you have desire to keep on drinking, while during cold months you need to force yourself to drink (until you get this into subconscious and you drink automatically). So once you are well hydrated before workout, everything is easier then. Then all you need to do (still not so easy as it sounds), is to start drinking some 10, 15 or 20mins after workout starts, even if you don't feel thirsty, and keep drinking for rest of workout. Just one or two gulps will do, and this shouldn't give you problems. But of course this all depends on weather (temperature and humidity) as well as intensity of workout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Before you're thirsty... If you wait until you're thirsty (or hungry, for food), you've waited too long.
    This!

If I'm doing turbo trainer I will drink a bottle every 30mins (gulps every 5min)
    Outside if I'm doing 80% I will drink around 1 every 45-60min (gulps every 10min)
    If doing race rythm I will drink at the same pace as on the turbo trainer. (whenever the terrain allows, who cares about thinking on how long was the last time...you might not have another chance close enough)
    At the end I will always drink a full bottle.

When training no matter what, drink...force yourself to drink, that will teach the body to assimilate what you are giving him because he will learn that "pain" is nearby.

Also, if you want to eat "crap", after an hard exercise is the best time because the muscles will be so depleted that most of that "crap" will be turned into energy at a higher ratio than on a rest day.

mtbr member
    That makes a lot of sense. I will definitly try and make myself drink gulps every 5 mins or so instead of the entire bottle after 30 minutes. Thanks guy for the great tips