Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Call me Phred

Homemade Sports Drink - Anti-Cramp Elixir

Here's the magic ingredient, a potassium chloride & salt mixture:

My recipe, in a 2 quart pitcher:

1 1/2 tsp Morton Lite Salt
    1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
    1 healthy squirt lemon concentrate (about 1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup sugar
    and fill the rest with water

I vary the fruit juices for different flavors.

I also use twice the salt mixture as the original recipe/formula calls for since I've always been prone to severe cramps upon some dehydration, and I weigh 260 lbs.

here's the original recipe along with the scientific reasoning from this site: CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS

Gatorade (tm) is formulated to give the following per 8oz serving:

14grams Carbohydrate (5.9%)
    110 mg Sodium
    30mg Potassium
    52 Calories

Alternatives to this commercial product can be made using one of the following recipes:

Recipe #1

10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
    .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
    1 package of unsweetened Coolade mix for flavor
    Water to make 2 liters

Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of 124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2% concentration.

14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
    53 calories
    103 mg Sodium
    121 mg Potassium

You'll notice that the amount of potassium is quite a bit higher than Gatorade, but the rest is pretty close. As excess potassium is eliminated from the body by the kidneys, and some experts feel a high potassium helps to minimize muscle cramps - and hypertension if taken long term - this is not necessarily bad. However, if you wanted to reduce the potassium to the level of a Gatorade product, another option would be to use 1/2 tsp. each of regular salt and the Morton Lite Salt. This would change the composition to:

104mg sodium
    40mg potassium

Call me Phred
    just wanted to add

I've never gotten cramps since using this formula. Two hours of high intensity sweating without it will put me into a very dangerous zone of severe cramping in many muscle groups.

So this stuff works. I take it on every ride.

And I drink it when doing yard work; to me yard work consists of everything from cutting grass to soil cultivation, gardening, landscaping, and tree and limb removal.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the recipe, nice to try something different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Mmmm i like how you could change the flavor by adding different kinds of fruit juices. I will most definitely try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds very tasty.I can't wait to try it.thanks for the recipe

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just wondering, but using fruit juices will raise the carbohydrate levels right? Are you concerned with having too much carb during a ride? Do you adjust the amount of sugar in your mix for different juices?

Call me Phred
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    Just wondering, but using fruit juices will raise the carbohydrate levels right? Are you concerned with having too much carb during a ride? Do you adjust the amount of sugar in your mix for different juices?
    Sure, it would change them a little. No, I'm not really concerned about carb levels changing with differing fruit juices. That seems insignificant to me; it's not like it's a milk shake or something high-cal like that. I do adjust the sugar to whatever tastes passable to me.

I'm not really a stickler to get a gatorade clone; I mainly just need the salt and potassium.

The reason I chose fruit juice over Kool-ade is because I detest chemical flavorings and dyes and juice is the more natural choice.

Same with sugar; it's natural so I don't worry about it.

Thanks to everyone for the nice replies!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I bought some Lite Salt to try out but wasn't sure. I have been cramping on longer rides so the higher potassium level is something I definitely want to try out.

I know some people are sticklers for carb/calorie counts but I guess a slight change in sugar level won't affect the drink that much.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yup, saved this recipe... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just made an account just to say this - Thank you so much for posting, it has helped me so much and will save me a lot of money!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    sorry but modern science is still out as to what exactly causes cramps, but most studies show that it is not a lack of electrolytes as this myth has been perpetuated by sports drink companies without any factual basis. Suggested reading:
    Joe Friel - Muscle Cramps and Mythology
    Joe Friel - Muscle Cramp Theory
    and if you want some really in-depth research see here:
    The Science of Sport: Search results for cramps

I'm not trying to trash your thread or your drink recipe, I'm glad you've made something you enjoy drinking while exercising and doing yard work, but please don't call it an "anti-cramp elixir" because that's just what gatoraid wants you, and all of us, to believe.

Call me Phred
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    sorry but modern science is still out as to what exactly causes cramps, but most studies show that it is not a lack of electrolytes as this myth has been perpetuated by sports drink companies without any factual basis. Suggested reading:
    Joe Friel - Muscle Cramps and Mythology
    Joe Friel - Muscle Cramp Theory
    and if you want some really in-depth research see here:
    The Science of Sport: Search results for cramps

I'm not trying to trash your thread or your drink recipe, I'm glad you've made something you enjoy drinking while exercising and doing yard work, but please don't call it an "anti-cramp elixir" because that's just what gatoraid wants you, and all of us, to believe.
    You seem not to have read my posts above. I have LOTS of life experience in dealing with the issue. Salt and potassium works. I don't care what science says. The stuff works.

Call me Phred
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguypete View Post
    I just made an account just to say this - Thank you so much for posting, it has helped me so much and will save me a lot of money!!!
    I'm glad it helped. Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hundun View Post
    You seem not to have read my posts above. I have LOTS of life experience in dealing with the issue. Salt and potassium works. I don't care what science says. The stuff works.
    Cool man, glad it works for you, honestly. Just trying to spread some knowledge around about cramps because it is definitely one area where different people react in very different ways. I've only had cramps once and it was decidedly due to me going out in a race at a pace I could not sustain for longer than my fitness allowed. It was my first race and a great learning experience. Looking back now, I'm actually glad the cramps in my calves forced me to stop/slow down because I was probably getting close to heat exhaustion as well as it was the first properly hot day of the year.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Do you think this will muck up a camelbak/hydration pack? I suppose you could keep the sugars down/out and perhaps it would be okay... Looking for home made elixirs for that purpose as I frequently ride in 100 plus temps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've had several mixes in my camelbak and they have always washed out without any lingering tastes.

mtbr member
    What's the difference between regular salt and 'lite' salt? Wouldn't using less of the regular salt be the same as using more of the lite salt?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    What's the difference between regular salt and 'lite' salt? Wouldn't using less of the regular salt be the same as using more of the lite salt?

Ask an Expert: Morton lite salt

Call me Phred
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    nag

mtbr member
    OP,..thx man for putting this up here. I sweat like a mo-fo when I ride and do yard work. Hell,..I literally break into a sweat if the temp is 75f or higher.
    The kinda *****es about having to buy Gatorade every two weeks. But if this stuff can replace what I've sweated out,..and still save us some dinero,..Hell, I'm gonna give it a try.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone have any ideas on reducing the calories on this? I was thinking reducing sugar and using a substitute. 53 cals/8 ounces means my camelbak 100oz would be a lot more than I want, lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've tried this same recipe with orange juice, but never tried any other juices. Any ones in particular work good with this receipe? Weither it helps cramps of not, electrolytes are a must and I'm not a big fan of all the high fructose corn syrup drinks out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by latemp View Post
    I've tried this same recipe with orange juice, but never tried any other juices. Any ones in particular work good with this receipe? Weither it helps cramps of not, electrolytes are a must and I'm not a big fan of all the high fructose corn syrup drinks out there.
    I made mine with my favorite cranberry juice and skipped the sugar altogether. Used about 2 cups of cranberry for the whole 100 oz bladder so whatever the calories are for that amount.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This seems like a great pre-ride drink since I prefer to keep my camelbak flavor-free. And I love grapefruit juice! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use Himalayan salt with fresh lemon (I use a juicer). The salt is high in nutrients and a fresh lemon is alkalizing to the body. I don't like using commerical fruit juices they contain too much sugar and chemicals, i prefer to juice fruits instead.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast