Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    OP, great recipe. Works very well for me. Thanks for posting.

Anyone recommending sea salt is missing the point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyv View Post
    Idinomac, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I agree that you definitely need to test what you are going to use in training. Generally speaking, for Tailwind, we recommend starting off with 250 calories/24oz of water/hour and then adjusting up or down from there. This is dependent upon how efficiently your body processes calories (avg. human processes between 200-300 calories/hour). Also, although Tailwind is designed as a sole fuel source, you can take in other calories and dial back the calorie concentration accordingly. For example, let's say that you also plan on consuming 100 calories in food per hour, then dial back the concentration to 150 calories/24oz of water/hour.

As for electrolytes, both CarboRocket and Tailwind contain way more electrolytes than other drinks out there which is why you typically don't need to supplement with salt tabs or salt pills. The average human sweats sodium (0.9 gram/liter), potassium (0.2 g/l), calcium (0.015 g/l), magnesium (0.0013 g/l) and other trace minerals (and this is the same profile we used for electrolytes in Tailwind).

So, with both CarboRocket and Tailwind you can dial in the amount you need based on the number of scoops you use. Hope this helps.
    It's all good Jenny,I haven;t been on here much myself, I know about cutting back when I eat but I was just stacking the numbers with TW and CR 333 with the TW it has 25grams of sugar per scoop with CR333 it only 25ish grams per three scoops (so how is CR getting higher carbs with less sugar? unless I'm reading their label wrong) I know that I will get that sick felling with to much sugar at about the 18th hour in a 24 solo. Dean

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    I looked up the ingredients for CarboRocket, and they use a 2:1 ratio of maltodextrin to fructose. My guess is they are listing the fructose as "sugar" and calling the maltodextrin "carbohydrate". They list 84g of "carbohydrate". So it's really maltodextrin sugar, just not called that on the label.

There are three main types of carbohydrates:
    1. Simple carbohydrates: composed of 1 or 2 sugar units that are broken down and digested quickly.
    2. Complex carbohydrates (also referred to as starch) are made up of many sugar units. They are structurally more complex and take longer to be broken down and digested. Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate.
    3. Indigestible carbohydrates are also called fiber. The body is unable to breakdown fiber into small enough units for absorption. It is therefore not an energy source for the body but does promote health in many other ways.

So, CR does have roughly the same amount of sugar as Tailwind and the same amount of carbohydrates (because they are the same thing).

Hope this helps!
    Jenny
    Tailwind Nutrition
    www.tailwindnutrition.com
    www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition
    Twitter: @gotailwind

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyv View Post
    I looked up the ingredients for CarboRocket, and they use a 2:1 ratio of maltodextrin to fructose. My guess is they are listing the fructose as "sugar" and calling the maltodextrin "carbohydrate". They list 84g of "carbohydrate". So it's really maltodextrin sugar, just not called that on the label.

There are three main types of carbohydrates:
    1. Simple carbohydrates: composed of 1 or 2 sugar units that are broken down and digested quickly.
    2. Complex carbohydrates (also referred to as starch) are made up of many sugar units. They are structurally more complex and take longer to be broken down and digested. Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate.
    3. Indigestible carbohydrates are also called fiber. The body is unable to breakdown fiber into small enough units for absorption. It is therefore not an energy source for the body but does promote health in many other ways.

So, CR does have roughly the same amount of sugar as Tailwind and the same amount of carbohydrates (because they are the same thing).

Hope this helps!
    Jenny
    It does help thank-you so much!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat View Post
    I have to caution against to much potassium, you can easily get into a state of hyperkalemia, potassium poisoning: it can be fatal. I'd recommend sticking to the ratio that salt stick uses posted above. Use regular salt to bring up the sodium while cutting back on the potassium. Hyperkalemia can cause heart dysrhythmias, a weak or slow pulse and paralysis.

Seriously, look it up.
    Just wanted to comment on this since I did some looking up today. The recommended daily allowance of Potassium is 4700 mg. To give you an idea, one banana is about 500mg.. After looking into my diet, im probably only getting 2,000mg on the highest days.

Here is a link I found that lists some foods with potassium: 10 High Potassium Foods / Nutrition / Vitamins and Minerals

The OP's recipe of 1-1/2 tsp of light salt (1/4 tsp is 350mg of potassium) would yield 2100mg.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    math is good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hundun View Post
    No, I'm not really concerned about carb levels changing with differing fruit juices

The reason I chose fruit juice over Kool-ade is because I detest chemical flavorings and dyes and juice is the more natural choice.

Same with sugar; it's natural so I don't worry about it.
    !
    We agree on these things. I'll take real sugar over any crap they are making to replace or mimic it. Thanks for the recipe I can't wait to try.

mtbr member
    Used this recipe last weekend for a 3+ hour ride w/ 4K climbing and it worked great, in combination with a mid ride Bannana

Ohh Gnarly!!
    I made a 2 qt. batch the other day and thought it was great! I can't remember exactly what the original Gator Aid tasted like,but I thought mine reminded me of it.
    Made a few adjustments:

1tsp Mediterranean sea salt
    1/2tsp light salt
    1 cup orange juice
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    a little less than 1/4 cup unfiltered honey
    fill the rest with water

I think I might mess around with a mix (minus the salt) to drink anytime.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I only use 1/4 tsp lite salt and 1/4 tsp regular salt per 2 quart mix. More than that and I thought it was rather salty. I did make a batch up without the salt like you said you may mess around with, but it just wasn't the same. I always liked Gatorade but prefer this much better as it is more natural, and tastes great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    Yep. That's my recipe.

3 tbsp wild honey
    1/2 tsp of salt
    750 ml water
    This seems like it would be great to cut some of the honey out and blend in a few dates instead.

Here's another recipe I've been meaning to try:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive Homemade Sports Drink Recipe (raw)
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Juice of 1/4 lime
    3 dates
    2 cups water
    1 Tbsp agave nectar
    1 tsp coconut oil
    sea salt to taste
    Source: Thrive Sports Drink | No Meat Athlete

It's pretty close to the recipe sslos posted just with more dates and less honey. Dates have more potassium by weight than bananas and are a great natural sweetener. I normally munch on them like shot blocks on a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Here's a recipe that I use:

1 1/2 Tablespoon of organic, local honey
    1 1/2-3 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice (to taste)
    1/4 Teaspoon of good quality, unprocessed sea salt (not table salt or kosher salt!)
    24 oz. filtered water

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a family history of pretty bad night cramps in the legs. I suffer from it, my mom and brother suffer from it, and my grandmother had them bad, as well as her father. I'm going to make some today and have the family start using it in hopes it changes our lives. Thanks for the post OP!
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Just wanted to comment on this since I did some looking up today. The recommended daily allowance of Potassium is 4700 mg. To give you an idea, one banana is about 500mg.. After looking into my diet, im probably only getting 2,000mg on the highest days.

Here is a link I found that lists some foods with potassium: 10 High Potassium Foods / Nutrition / Vitamins and Minerals

The OP's recipe of 1-1/2 tsp of light salt (1/4 tsp is 350mg of potassium) would yield 2100mg.
    So if the entire 2 quarts of product is 2100mg, we would need a gallon of this elixir, a couple bananas, and more before we broke the daily potassium allowance. Is that right? That's before we account for how much potassium we lose. Can someone elaborate how drinking this will kill me? Personally, I only eat 2 of those high potassium foods regularly. I believe my potassium intake is below the daily allowance.

For the record, too much anything can kill you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thread resurrection!

I ran into some gut cramping issues about 3 months into my training. Plain water, an occasional electrolyte tab, some hammer gel was no longer cutting it. The cramps wouldn't stop me in my tracks but they were uncomfortable and very distracting. I read around this site, researched the topic, found this post, gave your recipe a try and it works. I didn't have any cramps, not even the hint of one beginning. I have to tweak the taste a bit, but I'm very happy with the results.

Thank you, SSLOS!
    SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In my country I can't buy that "Morton Lite Salt", so, will adding just potassium chloride with other ingredients have same effect?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    seems like that would work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is anyone tried something like that?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i'm sure they have. google it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks mate

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I set up an account so I could comment. I made this drink & it tastes EXACTLY like sports drink! Thank you so much for the recipe!!

mtbr member
    Good thread. I am the perfect guinea-pig as I suffer from terrible cramp, typically after maybe thirty-miles but last year it came on thirteen-miles into a fifty-mile ride and by the end I could hardly walk.

Once the cramps in my calves start they just get worse no matter what I do. Stop and rest, push on, rub my legs, makes no difference. I've tried eating a lot, not eating much, different drinks, just now I'm on High5 4:1, but nothing stops them.

I'll make up some of the drink listed here and see what happens. If it works I'll be a happy pig! ;0)

mtbr member
    1 1/2 Tablespoon of organic, local honey
    1 1/2-3 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice (to taste)
    1/4 Teaspoon of good quality, unprocessed sea salt (not table salt or kosher salt!)
    24 oz. filtered water

So I'll try this one, but do you need the lime juice? Could you use another juice in stead?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3