mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Have some training nutrition questions (what to eat during the day)

Ooops, didn't realize there was a nutrition subforum. Can someone delete my post in "XC Racing and Training"?

Any "nutritionist" type people on here? Have some questions about protein shake/etc
    Anyone here that know "more than they read online" about nutrition?

I'm having a hard time getting that last 7 pounds of fat off my body (want to get to 8% body fat from 12%), (5,10, "big boned" and at 167lbs) and am thinking of trying to replace some of my "scavenging/snacking" with a regulated protein/meal replacement shake twice a day to help manage my appetite and calories.

My idea is:

Breakfast: 250 calorie Clif Bar, 100 calorie Banana (have to eat on the run in the AM, no eggs/etc, don't have time or desire, I tried )
    Snack: 150 Calorie Protein Shake or Slim Fast or something like that
    Lunch: 600-700 Calorie Sub from Subway or similar lunch
    Snack: 150 Calorie Protein Shake or etc
    Dinner: 700-800 Calories
    Snack: 200 Calorie of PBJ or etc

That should rock me out ~2300 calories so when I do a 800-900 calorie work out at night (1.5 hours on the bike), I end up with a net of ~1400-1500 leading me to lose some fat.

On days where I don't work out, I'll skip one of the protein shakes and knock down lunch and dinner by ~100 calories each and end up with 2000 for the day which will "maintain" me on those days.

What I do today is scavenge and end up eating lots of fatty nuts, mini snicker bars, drier fruit (sugar) as snacks, which aren't nearly as nutritionally friendly as the shakes.

Thoughts? Comments?

Save Jesus
    I think u have too many carbs in your diet. Many people respond well to a reduction in carbs, but not all. Try to aim for the 100-150g range, and more if you really need the energy.

Cliff bar : Boom! 39g
    Banana : Boom! 40g
    Foot long subway Boom! 80g
    PB&J (I'm afraid to even look it up)

Try to replace the carbs with protein, healthy fats, and or slight carbs + fiber + micronutrients (fruits and veggie)

For breakfast, you could reheat in the microwave hard boiled eggs from last night and a thick slice of ham, plus fruit and maybe protein shake if you are really lazy.

These days, I try to work real food protein sources into my diet, and only use the powder if I feel I'm not going to hit the x g per kg of recommended protein per day, or I had a really tough ride and use that as part of a recovery drink.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I think u have too many carbs in your diet. Many people respond well to a reduction in carbs, but not all. Try to aim for the 100-150g range, and more if you really need the energy.

Cliff bar : Boom! 39g
    Banana : Boom! 40g
    Foot long subway Boom! 80g
    PB&J (I'm afraid to even look it up)

Try to replace the carbs with protein, healthy fats, and or slight carbs + fiber + micronutrients (fruits and veggie)

For breakfast, you could reheat in the microwave hard boiled eggs from last night and a thick slice of ham, plus fruit and maybe protein shake if you are really lazy.

These days, I try to work real food protein sources into my diet, and only use the powder if I feel I'm not going to hit the x g per kg of recommended protein per day, or I had a really tough ride and use that as part of a recovery drink.

This is true. The main problem is that all of your carbs (in the Clif Bar, banana, and breads) are high glycemic index carbs which create a blood insulin spike which, in turn, promotes fat absorption. If possible replace your daily carbs with low GI carbs. Save your high GI carbs for a low fat recovery meal/shake.