mtbr member

Hauling water makes me sweat!

Ok I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem but my hydration pack makes my back sweat like crazy! Even on short rides I come back and under the pack my shirt is soaked. I tried switching to a much smaller, lighter pack and if its helped any I haven't noticed. So what packs have the best ventilation? I'm not looking for something that resembles a daypack, a couple of pockets is all I need. All I care about is it holds water and doesn't make me lose it as fast as I drink it!

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    These look pretty good what one are you using?

AZ
    banned

Laramie, Wyoming
    Could just go to a water bottle on the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're not drenched in sweat all over after a ride you are doing it wrong
    Last edited by willembad; 09-29-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added smiley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Could just go to a water bottle on the bike.
    I use a water bottle but that does not hold enough water for my rides. Also my backpack holds my bike gear not just water..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Ok I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem but my hydration pack makes my back sweat like crazy! Even on short rides I come back and under the pack my shirt is soaked. I tried switching to a much smaller, lighter pack and if its helped any I haven't noticed. So what packs have the best ventilation? I'm not looking for something that resembles a daypack, a couple of pockets is all I need. All I care about is it holds water and doesn't make me lose it as fast as I drink it!
    Doesn't mean you're getting wet there means you're sweating more than without a pack. You're sweating the same amount but the pack prevents the sweat from evaporating quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Vaude Hyper Air and similar Deuter have the best back ventilation, I live in HOT Tucson. Hyper Air 14+3 liter is my favorite pack.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    You could go with a totaly different system, check out the Fit Sip. Awesome product check it out! I think that it should solve your ventilation problems.
    FitSipĀ® - 100% Hands-Free Hydration
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKnRDR View Post
    You could go with a totaly different system, check out the Fit Sip. Awesome product check it out! I think that it should solve your ventilation problems.
    FitSipĀ® - 100% Hands-Free Hydration
    Are you kidding this thing holds less then 7 OZ, that wouldn't get me out of the parking lot..
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Actually 14 ounces it is on both arms. Not enough for a two hour trek but it is enough to wet your mouth on a 45min commute.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had the same problem, even with a wingnut, even though that helps. I ditched the pack and went with water bottles and have never looked back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I had the same problem, even with a wingnut, even though that helps. I ditched the pack and went with water bottles and have never looked back
    I wore a pack for years until the day I forgot it at home and was forced to use bottles. So nice not wearing a pack. Two bottles and a saddle bag is all I normally need. However for some really long rides or of I need to carry extra clothing I will wear a pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My pack saved my life/ability to walk when I crashed down the mountain.

banned
    Apr 2009
    yeah I ride a 29er hardtail with 2 water bottle cages. can't do that back pack, need freedom of movement. just ride 1.5 hours after drinking a bottle of water/gatorade first..

then for a 2 hour ride or longer either double back to the car for more drinks I have frozen first at home. or its easy to find corner stores down from trails..