Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Guess how much protein?

I've been cutting back on my meat consumption but am trying to eat at least 150g of protein a day. I'm expecting it to be pretty challenging to consume that much protein without eating lean meats in a 3,000 calorie diet.

I'm going to track my food on MyDailyPlate.com for a few days to see how things breakdown. For breakfast today I had one serving of: oatmeal, walnuts, raisins and almond milk

Very healthy food, and protein sources could include the oatmeal, almond milk, raisins.

The breakdown is:
    25g of Fat
    64g of Carbs
    12g of Protein

43% fat, 48% carbs, 9% protein
    Last edited by bank5; 02-20-2012 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    textured vegetable protein (tvp), an awesome product you can buy in most health food stores or some bulk food stores. Add to anything like oatmeal or sauces.

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    Try a fruit smoothie/protein shake for breakfast or add it as a snack. I like designer whey strawberry protein or chocolate muscle milk....although mm is pricey.
    I add: 1cup frozen strawberries and blueberries, 1 cup milk, 1scoop of protein, spoonful of flaxseed, and throw it all in the Magic bullet(which is a great single serving blender)
    This fills me up for a few hours in the morning.....I also drink one for recovery after riding or weightlifting. Seems to work great for me

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RDylan View Post
    textured vegetable protein (tvp), an awesome product you can buy in most health food stores or some bulk food stores. Add to anything like oatmeal or sauces.
    Thanks for the tip. I've read mixed things on soy. Do you know how much isoflavones are it it?

I'm going to start adding some ground flaxseed to my meals too which has a few grams of protein and an ample supply of omega-3s.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie80 View Post
    Try a fruit smoothie/protein shake for breakfast or add it as a snack. I like designer whey strawberry protein or chocolate muscle milk....although mm is pricey.
    I add: 1cup frozen strawberries and blueberries, 1 cup milk, 1scoop of protein, spoonful of flaxseed, and throw it all in the Magic bullet(which is a great single serving blender)
    This fills me up for a few hours in the morning.....I also drink one for recovery after riding or weightlifting. Seems to work great for me
    I have a feeling I'm going to need to start eating more protein powder if I want to get 150g a day and eat mostly vegetarian. I'm going to start searching for the healthiest brands. One thing I like doing is making my own protein bars by mixing protein powder with peanut butter, oats, a bit of milk, and sometimes nuts, raisins, and ground falxseed.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I have a feeling I'm going to need to start eating more protein powder if I want to get 150g a day and eat mostly vegetarian.
    Yeah, especially since you are trying to go low carb, too. That is why most serious athletes have given up on being vegetarian. To get enough protein, you have to either get too many calories, or eat fake food. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Yeah, especially since you are trying to go low carb, too. That is why most serious athletes have given up on being vegetarian. To get enough protein, you have to either get too many calories, or eat fake food. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
    I'm not trying to go low carb. I'm looking for a diet of at least 20% protein, 50-60% carbs and 20-30% fat.

AZ
    banned
    I'm not trying to go low carb. I'm looking for a diet of at least 20% protein, 50-60% carbs and 20-30% fat.

Keep up the good work and don't let the naysayers dissuade you. There are plenty of world class athlete's that are vegetarian.

Who are some of the famous vegetarian athletes? - Yahoo! Answers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Keep up the good work and don't let the naysayers dissuade you. There are plenty of world class athlete's that are vegetarian.

Who are some of the famous vegetarian athletes? - Yahoo! Answers
    Interesting list. Tony Gonzalez should probably be removed from it tho - here's an interesting article on him - The 247 lb. Vegan - WSJ.com

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Ah, I misunderstood your immediate dismissal of rice as a healthy food on your other thread, then. My mistake. Carry on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cranberry juice with whey and yogurt will do the trick!

namagomi
    You're gonna need some beano and lactaid! =)

Vegan Athlete
    Thanks for the tip. I've read mixed things on soy. Do you know how much isoflavones are it it?
    Steer clear of the TVP, that stuff is junk. If you are worried about "bad" soy, that is it. Tofu, tempeh, edemame, etc. is the good stuff. The more highly processed the soy the worse for you.

Don't forget to include nuts and legumes in your diet. In the warm months I have a fruit shake for breakfast and put in pea protein, rice protein and hemp seeds.

My wife was worried that I was not getting enough protein in my diet so I tracked a typical summer (race season) day and ended up with twice as much protein as recommended. Of course that was consuming 8k calories in one day, but I eat a bunch and am thin.

150 grams of protein sounds like a lot. "Many sports nutritionistsrecommend as much as 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight." From: Vegan Guide to Sports Nutrition - OrganicAthlete

Btw, if any of you are interested in the racing and training of a vegan mountain bike racer: Hyland Fisher - Vegan Athlete | Facebook
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn View Post
    Steer clear of the TVP, that stuff is junk. If you are worried about "bad" soy, that is it. Tofu, tempeh, edemame, etc. is the good stuff. The more highly processed the soy the worse for you.

Don't forget to include nuts and legumes in your diet. In the warm months I have a fruit shake for breakfast and put in pea protein, rice protein and hemp seeds.

My wife was worried that I was not getting enough protein in my diet so I tracked a typical summer (race season) day and ended up with twice as much protein as recommended. Of course that was consuming 8k calories in one day, but I eat a bunch and am thin.

150 grams of protein sounds like a lot. "Many sports nutritionistsrecommend as much as 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight." From: Vegan Guide to Sports Nutrition - OrganicAthlete

Btw, if any of you are interested in the racing and training of a vegan mountain bike racer: Hyland Fisher - Vegan Athlete | Facebook
    I second what vuduvgn said. TVP is highly processed; I would stay away from it. With soy, tempeh is fermented so it is easier for your body to digest and use than tofu or edemame. Get a good wide variety of beans, brown rice, quinoa, whole grains, sprouted grains with lots fresh fruit and vegetables especially green leafy ones and you will get enough protein plus a boatload of macronutrients. A lot of the new studies I have read lately are saying around 0.8 gm of protein per kg body weight is enough for most people with some athletes requiring 1.2gm per kg.

~Disc~Golf~
    what's wrong w/ eating meat?
    it's more natural than a lot of the PROCESSED crap that is out there.

I understand there are some ethical issues - and I'm willing to 'go there' if any of y'all want, but I'm mainly asking about the nutrition side - why do you think it's bad?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    what's wrong w/ eating meat?
    it's more natural than a lot of the PROCESSED crap that is out there.

I understand there are some ethical issues - and I'm willing to 'go there' if any of y'all want, but I'm mainly asking about the nutrition side - why do you think it's bad?
    Let them eat their vegetables... If they bother you about eating meat then you can say something!

Speaking about nutrients ONLY

Most vegetable proteins are not complete and you need a complete protein to build muscle which is what all th trouble is about here. There are plant alternatives, but they are inferior sources.

Health wise, meat isn't great for your gut. There have been some studies that a meat heavy diet increases the risk of cancers of the stomach.

Not that it really sways me either way since your vegetables are likely dosed up with enough pesticides to grown in the dark.

mtbr member
    Another great protein source is hemp powder or hemp nuggets. use it in place of whey, it's less processed. https://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein/

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm just now adding protein supplements to my diet, and I'm furious I hesitated this long. I've been using Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex as a breakfast replacement and post ride supplement. Each serving is 60g protein and it's a blend of fast and slow acting protein. It's only been a month and I have no complaints. My legs are exploding and my recovery time is cut in half. I can't imagine consuming the same amount of protein with diet alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hemp protein and rice protein would make an easy protein shake that would be easy to digest

JDM
    mtbr member
    Are you still eating eggs?

Helmetless Crasher
    Fish, fish and more fish. A nice helping of salmon or grouper is loaded w/ high quality protein omega 3's and little else.

So is stuff like mussels, shrimp, scallops, grilled calamari.

I incorporate a lot of this into my diet, along w/ a protein shake or two (depending on what I'm doing). Zero red meat. My body love it. Been cutting flab and adding lean muscle to my frame consistently for months now.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Fish and other seafood are still meat.

I've been trying to cut soy out of my diet completely, I'm not into it and don't like how processed it gets. Quinoa and legumes. Lentils, chickpeas and dark green leafy plants. You have to eat more of it to get the same amount of protein as you would a steak but I think it's better.

The book "Becoming Vegan" is an excellent resource.

mtbr member
    Why the cutback on meat?

You might look into spirulina powder too, added to a smoothie...adds a little highly nutritious protein kick. Hemp suggestions are good. Soy, depends on if you believe in the estrogen increase or not. Also watch out because most soy is GMO if that's a concern. If not, eat/drink away. Spinach, avocado, broccoli, asparagus, peas are a good veggie source. Quinoa is a great source, 18g per cup cooked. Beans, Lentils and Legumes are good sources. Of course dairy is a good source if you're not going vegan. Grab some whey powder at Costco, $50 for a bag with 75 28g servings. Made by the same people that make Muscle Milk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Hemp protein! Trader Joes has the best price around if you've got TJ's nearby.

My gf and I put quinoa in any dish that calls for rice. Cook it up in fruit juice, coconut water, almond milk, etc to change the flavor. It's great with yogurt and fruit. Makes for great veggie burgers with beans or lentils. And it's a complete protein.
    Store cooked grains in ziploc bags rather than tupperware so they retain their moisture better, not sure why it works so well but it does.

Silken tofu can also mix very easily into any smoothies, yogurts, salad dressings, sauces, etc.

Have you tried making seitan? Super protein-rich and soy free meat substitute, made from vital wheat gluten. It's probably the best and easiest meat substitute to make at home, make a big batch and freeze what you dont use for later consumption. It's expensive to buy pre-made and is labor intensive to make, but it's easier to make a ton at once and freeze what you dont think you'll eat within the week.

Dark leafy greens are essential for their iron content. Most have decent protein counts as well.

Dont underestimate the nutritional ingredients in yams and sweet potatoes. They're loaded.

Might want to look into using dates as sweetener as well. Great potassium source, more protein than sugar. Great for blending in to smoothies or any baked goods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    why do you want to eat so much protein in the first place?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    why do you want to eat so much protein in the first place?
    huh? OP is shooting for 20%. That's not a lot by any stretch. When I lifted, I consumed 250-300 grams per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast