Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Guess how much protein?

I've been cutting back on my meat consumption but am trying to eat at least 150g of protein a day. I'm expecting it to be pretty challenging to consume that much protein without eating lean meats in a 3,000 calorie diet.

I'm going to track my food on MyDailyPlate.com for a few days to see how things breakdown. For breakfast today I had one serving of: oatmeal, walnuts, raisins and almond milk

Very healthy food, and protein sources could include the oatmeal, almond milk, raisins.

The breakdown is:
    25g of Fat
    64g of Carbs
    12g of Protein

43% fat, 48% carbs, 9% protein
    Last edited by bank5; 02-20-2012 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    textured vegetable protein (tvp), an awesome product you can buy in most health food stores or some bulk food stores. Add to anything like oatmeal or sauces.

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    Try a fruit smoothie/protein shake for breakfast or add it as a snack. I like designer whey strawberry protein or chocolate muscle milk....although mm is pricey.
    I add: 1cup frozen strawberries and blueberries, 1 cup milk, 1scoop of protein, spoonful of flaxseed, and throw it all in the Magic bullet(which is a great single serving blender)
    This fills me up for a few hours in the morning.....I also drink one for recovery after riding or weightlifting. Seems to work great for me

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RDylan View Post
    textured vegetable protein (tvp), an awesome product you can buy in most health food stores or some bulk food stores. Add to anything like oatmeal or sauces.
    Thanks for the tip. I've read mixed things on soy. Do you know how much isoflavones are it it?

I'm going to start adding some ground flaxseed to my meals too which has a few grams of protein and an ample supply of omega-3s.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie80 View Post
    Try a fruit smoothie/protein shake for breakfast or add it as a snack. I like designer whey strawberry protein or chocolate muscle milk....although mm is pricey.
    I add: 1cup frozen strawberries and blueberries, 1 cup milk, 1scoop of protein, spoonful of flaxseed, and throw it all in the Magic bullet(which is a great single serving blender)
    This fills me up for a few hours in the morning.....I also drink one for recovery after riding or weightlifting. Seems to work great for me
    I have a feeling I'm going to need to start eating more protein powder if I want to get 150g a day and eat mostly vegetarian. I'm going to start searching for the healthiest brands. One thing I like doing is making my own protein bars by mixing protein powder with peanut butter, oats, a bit of milk, and sometimes nuts, raisins, and ground falxseed.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I have a feeling I'm going to need to start eating more protein powder if I want to get 150g a day and eat mostly vegetarian.
    Yeah, especially since you are trying to go low carb, too. That is why most serious athletes have given up on being vegetarian. To get enough protein, you have to either get too many calories, or eat fake food. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Yeah, especially since you are trying to go low carb, too. That is why most serious athletes have given up on being vegetarian. To get enough protein, you have to either get too many calories, or eat fake food. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
    I'm not trying to go low carb. I'm looking for a diet of at least 20% protein, 50-60% carbs and 20-30% fat.

AZ
    banned
    I'm not trying to go low carb. I'm looking for a diet of at least 20% protein, 50-60% carbs and 20-30% fat.

Keep up the good work and don't let the naysayers dissuade you. There are plenty of world class athlete's that are vegetarian.

Who are some of the famous vegetarian athletes? - Yahoo! Answers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Keep up the good work and don't let the naysayers dissuade you. There are plenty of world class athlete's that are vegetarian.

Who are some of the famous vegetarian athletes? - Yahoo! Answers
    Interesting list. Tony Gonzalez should probably be removed from it tho - here's an interesting article on him - The 247 lb. Vegan - WSJ.com

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Ah, I misunderstood your immediate dismissal of rice as a healthy food on your other thread, then. My mistake. Carry on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cranberry juice with whey and yogurt will do the trick!

namagomi
    You're gonna need some beano and lactaid! =)

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Thanks for the tip. I've read mixed things on soy. Do you know how much isoflavones are it it?
    Steer clear of the TVP, that stuff is junk. If you are worried about "bad" soy, that is it. Tofu, tempeh, edemame, etc. is the good stuff. The more highly processed the soy the worse for you.

Don't forget to include nuts and legumes in your diet. In the warm months I have a fruit shake for breakfast and put in pea protein, rice protein and hemp seeds.

My wife was worried that I was not getting enough protein in my diet so I tracked a typical summer (race season) day and ended up with twice as much protein as recommended. Of course that was consuming 8k calories in one day, but I eat a bunch and am thin.

150 grams of protein sounds like a lot. "Many sports nutritionistsrecommend as much as 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight." From: Vegan Guide to Sports Nutrition - OrganicAthlete

Btw, if any of you are interested in the racing and training of a vegan mountain bike racer: Hyland Fisher - Vegan Athlete | Facebook
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn View Post
    Steer clear of the TVP, that stuff is junk. If you are worried about "bad" soy, that is it. Tofu, tempeh, edemame, etc. is the good stuff. The more highly processed the soy the worse for you.

Don't forget to include nuts and legumes in your diet. In the warm months I have a fruit shake for breakfast and put in pea protein, rice protein and hemp seeds.

My wife was worried that I was not getting enough protein in my diet so I tracked a typical summer (race season) day and ended up with twice as much protein as recommended. Of course that was consuming 8k calories in one day, but I eat a bunch and am thin.

150 grams of protein sounds like a lot. "Many sports nutritionistsrecommend as much as 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight." From: Vegan Guide to Sports Nutrition - OrganicAthlete

Btw, if any of you are interested in the racing and training of a vegan mountain bike racer: Hyland Fisher - Vegan Athlete | Facebook
    I second what vuduvgn said. TVP is highly processed; I would stay away from it. With soy, tempeh is fermented so it is easier for your body to digest and use than tofu or edemame. Get a good wide variety of beans, brown rice, quinoa, whole grains, sprouted grains with lots fresh fruit and vegetables especially green leafy ones and you will get enough protein plus a boatload of macronutrients. A lot of the new studies I have read lately are saying around 0.8 gm of protein per kg body weight is enough for most people with some athletes requiring 1.2gm per kg.

~Disc~Golf~
    what's wrong w/ eating meat?
    it's more natural than a lot of the PROCESSED crap that is out there.

I understand there are some ethical issues - and I'm willing to 'go there' if any of y'all want, but I'm mainly asking about the nutrition side - why do you think it's bad?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    what's wrong w/ eating meat?
    it's more natural than a lot of the PROCESSED crap that is out there.

I understand there are some ethical issues - and I'm willing to 'go there' if any of y'all want, but I'm mainly asking about the nutrition side - why do you think it's bad?
    Let them eat their vegetables... If they bother you about eating meat then you can say something!

Speaking about nutrients ONLY

Most vegetable proteins are not complete and you need a complete protein to build muscle which is what all th trouble is about here. There are plant alternatives, but they are inferior sources.

Health wise, meat isn't great for your gut. There have been some studies that a meat heavy diet increases the risk of cancers of the stomach.

Not that it really sways me either way since your vegetables are likely dosed up with enough pesticides to grown in the dark.

mtbr member
    Another great protein source is hemp powder or hemp nuggets. use it in place of whey, it's less processed. https://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein/

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm just now adding protein supplements to my diet, and I'm furious I hesitated this long. I've been using Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex as a breakfast replacement and post ride supplement. Each serving is 60g protein and it's a blend of fast and slow acting protein. It's only been a month and I have no complaints. My legs are exploding and my recovery time is cut in half. I can't imagine consuming the same amount of protein with diet alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hemp protein and rice protein would make an easy protein shake that would be easy to digest

JDM
    mtbr member
    Are you still eating eggs?

Helmetless Crasher
    Fish, fish and more fish. A nice helping of salmon or grouper is loaded w/ high quality protein omega 3's and little else.

So is stuff like mussels, shrimp, scallops, grilled calamari.

I incorporate a lot of this into my diet, along w/ a protein shake or two (depending on what I'm doing). Zero red meat. My body love it. Been cutting flab and adding lean muscle to my frame consistently for months now.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Fish and other seafood are still meat.

I've been trying to cut soy out of my diet completely, I'm not into it and don't like how processed it gets. Quinoa and legumes. Lentils, chickpeas and dark green leafy plants. You have to eat more of it to get the same amount of protein as you would a steak but I think it's better.

The book "Becoming Vegan" is an excellent resource.

mtbr member
    Why the cutback on meat?

You might look into spirulina powder too, added to a smoothie...adds a little highly nutritious protein kick. Hemp suggestions are good. Soy, depends on if you believe in the estrogen increase or not. Also watch out because most soy is GMO if that's a concern. If not, eat/drink away. Spinach, avocado, broccoli, asparagus, peas are a good veggie source. Quinoa is a great source, 18g per cup cooked. Beans, Lentils and Legumes are good sources. Of course dairy is a good source if you're not going vegan. Grab some whey powder at Costco, $50 for a bag with 75 28g servings. Made by the same people that make Muscle Milk.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

mtbr member
    Hemp protein! Trader Joes has the best price around if you've got TJ's nearby.

My gf and I put quinoa in any dish that calls for rice. Cook it up in fruit juice, coconut water, almond milk, etc to change the flavor. It's great with yogurt and fruit. Makes for great veggie burgers with beans or lentils. And it's a complete protein.
    Store cooked grains in ziploc bags rather than tupperware so they retain their moisture better, not sure why it works so well but it does.

Silken tofu can also mix very easily into any smoothies, yogurts, salad dressings, sauces, etc.

Have you tried making seitan? Super protein-rich and soy free meat substitute, made from vital wheat gluten. It's probably the best and easiest meat substitute to make at home, make a big batch and freeze what you dont use for later consumption. It's expensive to buy pre-made and is labor intensive to make, but it's easier to make a ton at once and freeze what you dont think you'll eat within the week.

Dark leafy greens are essential for their iron content. Most have decent protein counts as well.

Dont underestimate the nutritional ingredients in yams and sweet potatoes. They're loaded.

Might want to look into using dates as sweetener as well. Great potassium source, more protein than sugar. Great for blending in to smoothies or any baked goods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    why do you want to eat so much protein in the first place?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    why do you want to eat so much protein in the first place?
    huh? OP is shooting for 20%. That's not a lot by any stretch. When I lifted, I consumed 250-300 grams per day.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

mtbr member
    Eggs are about the best "non-meat" source.

Most plants aren't a complete protein. Quinoa exempted. Vegetarians have to stack to get complete proteins. Rice and beans is an example. Even then, you only get a few grams of protein, and probably 10x as much or more of carbs. Not overly efficent, IMO.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Eggs are about the best "non-meat" source.

Most plants aren't a complete protein. Quinoa exempted. Vegetarians have to stack to get complete proteins. Rice and beans is an example. Even then, you only get a few grams of protein, and probably 10x as much or more of carbs. Not overly efficent, IMO.
    I'll race ya!

It's really not that complicated to get a complete and balanced diet from plants. The difficulty/complexity is terribly over-hyped. It's also a lot easier than it used to be, plus you don't get all that pesky cholesterol and artery hardening.

mtbr member
    I dare you to find me anything credible that a diet high in saturated fats or cholesterol puts you at risk for atherosclerosis or cardiac disease. The lipid hypothesis is dead, unquestionably.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I dare you to find me anything credible that a diet high in saturated fats or cholesterol puts you at risk for atherosclerosis or cardiac disease. The lipid hypothesis is dead, unquestionably.
    Seeing as how I am not a nutritionist by trade I doubt anything I provide will be convincing. Am I to assume you also disqualify the research done by Dr. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn?

mtbr member
    Quinoa is the closest thing to a complete protein. It's missing just a few amino acids. As others have said mix it with beans or legumes and there you have it. Also kale is unbelievably healthy and packed full of vital nutrients. You can steam it, sautée it, braise it, eat it raw, etc. You might also look for kaniwa. It is related to quinoa, just as healthy, cooks the same and is roughly the size of cous cous. It doesn't have the saponin some quinoas might have. Almond or rice milk are always good. Typically the more colors you have on a plate the better off you are. I enjoy a lot of fresh salads over the summer. Lots if leafy greens, beans, nuts, grilled or seared tofu. Just my .02.

Save Jesus
    The current theories regard atherosclerosis have to do with things like inflammation, lack of anti-oxidants, oxidized fats (saturated fats are resistant to oxidation), etc. It has very little to do with the ingestion of saturated fats or cholesterol. Having said that, a Vegan diet is probably good for heart health due to the abundance of nutrients you get from plants. The only problem is that being vegan gives you a righteous attitude which offends those around you. Don't be like DurianRider LOL.

This is a good site to learn about cholesterol
    The Daily Lipid: Fat and Cholesterol

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The only problem is that being vegan gives you a righteous attitude which offends those around you. Don't be like DurianRider LOL.[/url]
    Yea, some of us are worse than others and I have certainly go in phases of up on the soapbox or listening quietly. I have a friend who recently decided to go vegan and it was because of DurianRider, not kidding.

mtbr member
    The only problem is that being vegan gives you a righteous attitude which offends those around you. Don't be like DurianRider LOL.
    How do you know you're in the room with a vegan?

He'll tell you.

mtbr member
    How do you know you're in the room with a vegan?

He'll tell you.
    i couldnt agree with you more. the percentage of annoying and pretentious vegans is waaaay too high.

and thats coming from me, someone who doesnt eat meat.

Hi.
    The current theories regard atherosclerosis have to do with things like inflammation, lack of anti-oxidants, oxidized fats (saturated fats are resistant to oxidation), etc. It has very little to do with the ingestion of saturated fats or cholesterol. Having said that, a Vegan diet is probably good for heart health due to the abundance of nutrients you get from plants. The only problem is that being vegan gives you a righteous attitude which offends those around you. Don't be like DurianRider LOL.

This is a good site to learn about cholesterol
    The Daily Lipid: Fat and Cholesterol
    +1. Inflammation is bad. Real bad.

It's one reason--among many--I don't label my dietary habits. Pretentious self-righteous vegan ********s. I hate them. Where's Tone's L'axemen's thread?

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Great. This has turned from a forum user looking for some input into his diet to a vegan bashing event.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    nah, vegans are fine. group hug. hug it out, y'all. oh, okay, thaaat's nice. i feel better.

~Disc~Golf~
    Great. This has turned from a forum user looking for some input into his diet to a vegan bashing event.
    exactly as planned
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I watched the movies "forks over knives" and "food matters", both pretty convincing. What i got out of it is that ALL animal protein is bad for your arteries, including dairy (whey is dairy). And you can't possibly get all the vitamins and minerals you need from today's food, must take multivitamins.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    I watched the movies "forks over knives" and "food matters", both pretty convincing. What i got out of it is that ALL animal protein is bad for your arteries, including dairy (whey is dairy). And you can't possibly get all the vitamins and minerals you need from today's food, must take multivitamins.
    You are severely misinformed.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I haven't seen Food Matters, but Forks Over Knives covers the animal protein part of your comment. They also say you can get all the sustenance you need from whole food plant based nutrition, no need for supplements except MAYBE B12.

Save Jesus
    What i got out of it is that ALL animal protein is bad for your arteries, including dairy (whey is dairy). And you can't possibly get all the vitamins and minerals you need from today's food, must take multivitamins.
    How were cavemen able to survive on soy, TVP, and Centrum?

Hi.
    I haven't seen Food Matters, but Forks Over Knives covers the animal protein part of your comment.
    And Forks Over Knives is so full of inaccurate and misleading statements it's scary.

An eloquent, yet detailed critique here: http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/for...-and-critique/

Being a vegan is great, but people incorrectly think it makes you immune to disease and aging. Vegans still get heart disease, and they still get cancer, and they still die "young." Yes, it is a healthier lifestyle than most, but other environmental factors and genetics play an equal, if not more important role than diet.

^^Too true. I'm an "extremely picky eater" and even with my awesome diet I am at a high risk for heart problems because of genetics. I'm 27 and very active and have an exemplary diet and still have slightly high blood-pressure due to genetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    ^^Too true. I'm an "extremely picky eater" and even with my awesome diet I am at a high risk for heart problems because of genetics. I'm 27 and very active and have an exemplary diet and still have slightly high blood-pressure due to genetics.
    There was a guy my wife worked with who ran miles and miles each week. And he ate at least as well as an average person, probably better. He was the first guy in his family to live to be 50. He still had a heart attack in his 40s, but had enough interlacing of the arteries on his his heart that only a small portion of muscle died. Sometimes your genes just aren't in your favor.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    How were cavemen able to survive on soy, TVP, and Centrum?
    Neanderthals life expectancy was just over 30 years old.

mtbr member
    Neanderthals life expectancy was just over 30 years old.
    Yeah, but that had more to do with a lack of dentistry, or loosing their usefulness among their tribes, and i doubt many, if any, died from cancer, or heart disease.
    Round and round we go

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    And Forks Over Knives is so full of inaccurate and misleading statements it's scary.

An eloquent, yet detailed critique here: “Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique) « Raw Food SOS

Being a vegan is great, but people incorrectly think it makes you immune to disease and aging. Vegans still get heart disease, and they still get cancer, and they still die "young." Yes, it is a healthier lifestyle than most, but other environmental factors and genetics play an equal, if not more important role than diet.
    Link fight!
    Here is a rebuttal of Denise Minger's critique of Forks Over Knives: Has Denise Minger Read 'The China Study'? -- A Collective Rebuttal - 30 Bananas a Day!

I'm vegan, I have a number of friends who are vegan and I don't know any vegans who think they are immune to disease or aging.

In the China Study (what inspired the movie Forks Over Knives) Campbell argues that though genetics do play a role in your health they are not the be all end all of your health. He goes on to say that genetics are a very popular refrain at this time in history and there is too much emphasis being put on them.
    I am not a geneticist or a doctor or a nutritionist, so I cannot deny or verify his claims.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Yeah, but that had more to do with a lack of dentistry, or usefulness among their tribes, and i doubt many, if any, died from cancer, or heart disease.
    I am not trying to imply their hunter gatherer diet did them in at an early age. They lived IN the food web and in a feudalist society and probably died very frequently from infections. Our society in safer (in general) nowadays and medicine has come a long way. We even know where babies come from these days. Science is cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast