Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Gotta get rid of this fat

Am 42 yrs old been riding for 3 yrs now ( road and XC ) been hitting the gym pretty hard for a year. I have put on probably 10 lbs of muscle which I know can be detrimental for cycling, thing is I can't get rid of the fat!! I am in the 16% BF range. I am in great shape otherwise, great stamina, strong, probably feel the best I have felt in 15 or so years but I am getting burned out from the lack of results in the mirror. I want to race my mountain bike at the end of this season and be competitive. What does a guy need to eat??

AZ
    banned
    What does your diet look like?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah, it's gotta be your diet if you are riding and lifting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well today I had 2 scrambled eggs (only one yolk) for breakfast with coffee, break time I ate some pickled beets and carrots, for lunch I had a can of Sardines in Mustard with some sugar free peaches. For dinner after riding the bike I will have steak a couple of boiled eggs, sweet potatoe and maybe something green. Now I will say I don't always eat this clean buy man I bust my azz whether I am on my bike or lifting in the gym, I also work in construction and am on my feet all day. I don't drink soda but do drink beer (I mean a guy has to have something) most I drink is a 12 a week an most weeks I don't at all. I just need someone to feed me like a dog LOL

mtbr member
    It is going to be the diet, most of all, and the regular eating. Even though the body will go into hibernation mode when it thinks there isn't a 'next meal coming', overall it is the prolonged stretches of little eating but long output exercise (think endurance events) that will change the rate and mode of your metabolism. I only found this to happen after extended hikes, scrambles, bike/hike/tours which got my body in better shape and lose excess fat. Instead of many many months, I could get in shape in weeks, comparatively.
    As I get older, this gets a bit more difficult (and fat goes on more easily!!!), but I am asking a lot as my time is more filled with sedate activity -I am not running around all happity-doo like when I was a whipper snapper. Very unscientific, but every time I resist the country-to-city mouse transformation, my body is still willing to drop all things and respond.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    IME it's all about what u eat. I used to bust my@ss at the gym but didn't lose weight till I got my diet under control. What it took for me was zero sugar, no calorie drinks of any kind (including beer), minimal meat, no bread or starchy stuff...
    whatever...

Save Jesus
    If I were u I would try:

Shift more calories towards the early part of the day
    Eat some more green stuff (do as I say, not as I do LOL)
    Look into leangains.com for intermittent fasting stuff (never mind that the author seems to be having a mental breakdown at the moment...)

bust a move
    Sounds like you're good on the activity side but for the short term I would spend some of that gym time doing longer moderate intensity road rides (2 hour plus) and cut back on sugar/corn syrup and bread/pasta until the fat is burnt, then go back to your prior workout regimen and moderate the food. This has recently helped me get rid of much fat. I have found that eating walnuts and almonds for snacking keeps me from craving as much junk. Good luck!
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anybody care to drop a list of what they eat in a day when trying to drop LBS

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoutdoors37 View Post
    Anybody care to drop a list of what they eat in a day when trying to drop LBS

Vegetables, fruits, nuts, 1 serving of whole grain and a couple of eggs. If still hungry, more vegetables and occasionally some fish. Drink a lot of water, stay hydrated and stay away from sugar and artificial sweetener.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Sounds like you are a really active dude OP.

I say eat as many quality carbs as you possibly can before, like, 4pm. No grains (IMO) but any kinds of potatoes and fruits; quinoa with sauteed onions and soy sauce is a favorite of mine. Try chewing chia seeds for protein and omega 3, a mouthful chewed for ten minutes does wonders!.

Your body will torch good stuff like this, making you feel like you are running on rocket fuel. Maintain your activity and avoid anything rich within 4 hours of bedtime.

No fruit juices or oily foods.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoutdoors37 View Post
    Well today I had 2 scrambled eggs (only one yolk) for breakfast with coffee, break time I ate some pickled beets and carrots, for lunch I had a can of Sardines in Mustard with some sugar free peaches. For dinner after riding the bike I will have steak a couple of boiled eggs, sweet potatoe and maybe something green. Now I will say I don't always eat this clean buy man I bust my azz whether I am on my bike or lifting in the gym, I also work in construction and am on my feet all day. I don't drink soda but do drink beer (I mean a guy has to have something) most I drink is a 12 a week an most weeks I don't at all. I just need someone to feed me like a dog LOL

Now there's your problem...

"For dinner after riding the bike I will have steak a couple of boiled eggs, sweet potatoe (sic) and maybe something green"

How about dinner first before the bike ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    if you must have that steak for dinner make sure its grass fed, lower calories and fat than regular meat.

mtbr member
    Go caveman or Paleo style. Worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Before taking mine or anybody else's advice, please taylor things to your own personal needs depending on your health needs, and consult a doctor.

I followed a no sugar, complex carbs and protein/fat diet and ran, used an eliptical and bicycled and most important, I weight trained. I went from 190 LBS and 18 % body fat to 150 LBS and 8% body fat in 3 or 4 months. More importantly, my strength, fitness and endurance went way up. I started being able to bench press 25 LBS dumb bells in each arm up to, in the end, 70 LBS dumb bells each arm 8-12 times. That was years ago. Life, job and other issues makes it hard, but I am back on the path. Changing my diet, and exercising more and more.

My method for fat loss:

Avoid starving yourself or eating too much sugar. Avoid added or artificial sugar. Sugar causes your body to release insulin which makes you store fat. Starving or going too long without food does the same thing, makes your body store fat. you want to burn fat. Also get enough sleep. This is what you need to build muscle. You need to build muscle to both become stronger and to become (temporarily) less efficient, so you burn more fat.

No added sugar. No processed food. Avoid bread. Get a list showing foods and their glycemic index. Eat slower complex carbs. Eat mostly only stuff found on the outside of the grocery store aisles. Fish, poultry, eggs, fruit and veggies, nuts (if not allergic) complex carbs like whole grain brown rice and steel cut oats. Avoid juice, alcohol etc. Eat enough complex carbs, protein and un-saturated fats to have energy to ride and/or do other sports and activities. Eat many times a day. Split up your meals. Not just 3 meals. Eat every 2 to 3 hours. You must eat breakfast. DO NOT SKIP ANY MEALS. After breakfast, a few hours later, have a snack. Eat lunch, then eat a snack a few hours later. Eat supper. Cycle, run, weight train. Measure your body fat once every day or so (scales have this feature) and keep your eye on it.

Let my simplify it a bit:

1) Avoid sugar, bread, juice, alcohol and high glycemic foods
    2) Eat fruits, veggies, nuts, protein (fish and poultry) and complex carbs
    3) Eat every few hours.
    4) Exercise including some strength training, either weight training, or sprinting/intervals while cycling. Running and eliptical, swimming are also good.
    5) Get some rest.

You don't have to do the above indefinitely, just until you reach a level of fitness and lower fat that you are happy with. Then carefully alter your diet a bit but always check body fat and revert to the above if you need to burn excess fat.

Good luck.
    Last edited by morkys; 04-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I try to eat like a King for breakfast, a Queen for lunch , and a Pauper for dinner.
    Snaks in between are lots of apples, bananas,dates,raisens.
    And lots of water , once or twice a week i'll have a couple of beers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Morkys is right!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the input, I pray that I get this straightened out because it is starting to burn me out.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Simple: You are eating too much!!

I was like you, worked out all the time and ate "right" but was having a hard time losing fat. It was coming off but very slowly.

I mentioned this to a guy at work who was quite overweight and sedentary, had just lost a lot of weight. He said, " It's simple you're eating too much." First I thought, " You don't work out, so you don't get it, I need to eat."

Well, I took his advice and logged everything I ate. While it was very healthy, it was too many calories. So I started with reducing portions, then sugar, etc. Sure enough the weight fell off.

You need to burn more than you put in....that's it. Doesn't matter if everything you eat is super healthy, vegan, organic. If it's too many calories than you will store it as fat.

P.S. - Expect to be super hungry for the first two weeks until you get used to it. Also, try to do this during off season such as winter. I tried this while riding and crashed hard. Was very successful during the winter when I was only going to the gym and could be tired and hungry.

mtbr member
    Your bf% is 16 but what is your height and weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ditto what people said about diet.

How much are you riding and working out? I've been an avid biker for years (3-4 times a week) and ws surprised that it was still hard to lose weight.

In January, I hired a coach who promised he could make me faster (and he did). I've increased biking to 5-6 time per week and an average of 10 hours a week and I've really reduced the intensity. I used to kill myself trying to go fast every time I went out so I couldn't bike more than 3-4 times a week. Now, I can get more hours in and they are more pleasurable hours. Suddenly, I noticed that pounds had come off.

So, in addition to food intake, look at your biking. From your post, I could't tell how many hours a week you bike or at what intensity. If you are like I was and went out with high intensity about 3-4 times a week, try throttling back on the intensity and going for longer rides.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Calories in - Calories out. You gained 10lbs of muscle working out and staying active, but you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. This is called a bulk cycle. I've been there done that, you're eating too much and need to track your calories. The food you mentioned don't mean crap if you're eating three to four servings of everything putting you on a surplus. Get a scale, look at portions and get on a meal plan that will enable you to hit all your macros everyday while being in a slight deficit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    how are you not bonking on every ride eating only proteins?
    carbs aren't the enemy.
    like others said: it's simple math. you have to eat fewer calories than you burn or burn more calories than you consume.

mtbr member
    Try a free app called My Fitness Pal to track everything that crosses your lips as well as all your cardio output calories burned. It will also track protein, carbs, sugars, fiber, fat, etc. It even has a bar code reader to scan packaged food. As others have indicated, it all about math and you'll probably be surprised by how many calories you are eating, especially if you continue to include steak and sweet potatos. The app will also help you pick which beer you choose if you, like me, arent going to completely give it up. Only 136 cals in a 16oz Coors light, or splurge 20 more cals and drink a 14.9oz Guiness draught can. The key is you have to stick to just one to get all the good stuff you need and still keep the calories where they must be.

Desert RAT
    If you eat good carbs (fruits and veggies) you will not gain fat, your liver can store up to 2lbs of glycogen in it hidden away. You need to drop all the fatty meats and heavy protein and carb up. Don't be afraid of carbs and don't listen to all the western world marketing hype that carbs are bad and all you need is protein. A whole food, plant based diet will change your life and performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast