Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fish Oil

mtbr member

Re: Fish Oil

Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    you guys should look into resveratrol and curcumin
    Yes, they are great, but we are talking omega 3, not antioxidants...
    I personally take both.
    Curcumin for its anti inflammatory properties.
    Last edited by jazzanova; 09-23-2013 at 03:23 PM.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    you guys should look into resveratrol and curcumin
    I have been taking Country Life Ultimate Resveratrol and put organic turmeric on my chicken strips ( a HUGE amount) each week.. I look 20 years younger than I am (proff's and boss's have lost bets on how old I am....)

U $ 4 O?
    Agree with most of the info and experience posted here, especially the curcumin

Check out designsforhealth.com, think this one was called Omega avail dha, but can't exactly remember what funky name they use. Good quality products

Village Newbie
    Sep 2012
    I take 1 Krill oval in the morning, it has a joint supplement that helps with arthritis in my cervical region, and I am polishing off a bottle straight krill I got by mistake. Krill is more pure and less likely to have heavy metals in it like mercury.

I used to take Omega 3, 6 & 9 when i lifted, I was taking 6 1000mg Omega 3's per day, the 6 & 9 were whatever the dose was. After my injury I only use krill because I don't have access to the stuff that was sold at my gym.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've taken Cod liver oil since I was a about 1 years old (almost mandatory here in Iceland). I just wanted to give you one advice if you don't like the taste (which I hate), if you take the oil, and then have a sip of coffee afterwards the taste completely goes away, and it will even rid you of the terrible burps afterwards

Unpredictable
    fridrikh raises an interesting issue about cod liver oil. Cod liver oil is not "fish" oil and is not recommended as an omega fatty acid supplement or for heart health. It is a concentrated source of fat soluble vitamins and in an environment with limited sunlight (half the time), it probably acts as a Vit D supplement, although it was always said to be for immune support when I was a kid.

I take fish oil and I do believe there is convincing evidence it can help with lipid balance (more by increasing HDL than lowering LDL), reducing joint pain and as an anti-depressant. However, when you start saying a refined supplement is a safer alternative to seafood, then I think you are really missing the point. Fish, krill and calamari (squid) oils contain no iodine, no protein and are not a food. The real deal is still an essential part of our diet and cannot be supplemented.

Reliance on minimalism in nutrition is really the realm of research and appeals to nutritionists who frankly have done more to hurt the population than help it. The "science" of nutritionism has led to some serious lies. For example - eating only lean meat (muscle only) makes no sense and restricting saturated (natural) fats is already being observed to and will be confirmed as contributing to inflammatory artery disease and Alzheimers. Goodness knows what percentage of kids behavioural and educational issues stem from this sort of restrictive and supplementary nutritional advice. Eat food not pills and labels!

Back to fish oil - Nordic Health and Bio-Ceuticals were the only 2 of about 20 fish oil supplements tested independently in Qld that actually contained the doses of EPA and DHA stated on the label. Mercury etc should not be part of these medications (which they are, not just supplements).

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph456 View Post
    It also plays an important role in weight loss, thus it improves the fitness level.
    It is fish that is important to weight loss and fitness, not fish oil. Fish muscle protein, plus calcium from bones, all fish fats and connective tissue proteins, roe and iodine help fitness and muscle quality, not EPA and DHA. Minimalism in nutrition is not wise.

Otherwise what you said is basically correct, helping normalise lipid ratios with fish oil may reduce plaque accumulation and may lead to plaque regression. It also may not and the simple fact is that significant arterial plaque burden responds best to statins. Fish oil has many benefits and few risks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3