Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil

mtbr member

Re: Fish Oil

They are some with lemon or orange flavor. The lemon ones taste good enough to me.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Are there some fish oils on the market that don't taste . . . fishy?
    Yes and they are labeled as such.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    To reply to the OP, you don't have to take fish oil to gain the benefits from Omega Fatty Acids. There are non-fish-derived supplements to get DHA, EPA, etc. They are simply derived from algae, which is where the fish are getting it from in the first place. Another benefit to the algae-derived supplements is that they are harvested outside of an oceanic environment so you will not be consuming the heavy metals (mercury, etc.) that are bioaccumulated by fish in the ocean. Amerifit makes a good DHA/EPA supplement.

Amerifit Nutrition - Ovega-3 500 mg 60 softgels [Health and Beauty]:Amazon:Health & Personal Care

mtbr member
    Back on topic though, I usually eat a decent amount of flax seed and thought I was doing good only to recently find out it's not a great sole source of Omega Fatty Acids. Last week I started taking TheraTears for my eyes at the request of my eye doctor in prep for LASIK surgery next week. It seems to have a much better OFA profile with the EPA, DHA, and ALA that just Flax is missing. Once I don't have to take these anymore, I do want to find a good quality supplement to take and continue taking them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Back on topic though, I usually eat a decent amount of flax seed and thought I was doing good only to recently find out it's not a great sole source of Omega Fatty Acids. Last week I started taking TheraTears for my eyes at the request of my eye doctor in prep for LASIK surgery next week. It seems to have a much better OFA profile with the EPA, DHA, and ALA that just Flax is missing. Once I don't have to take these anymore, I do want to find a good quality supplement to take and continue taking them.
    Flax oil gives you mainly omega 3 fatty acids in the form of ALA. Your body then has to convert this into EPA and DHA, but the conversion varies between individuals and is generally low (especially to DHA). In addition to ALA, you need EPA and DHA. Don't stop taking flax. Instead, you could simply add that algae supplement that I linked to earlier that contains good quantities of EPA and DHA. If you had to choose between the two for any reason, definitely choose the EPA/DHA supplement.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I still take flax, I actually like the taste of it on salads and in my smoothies. I use whole seeds and grind them as I use them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    If you are interested in learning more about the modeling and how they perform under advanced statistical analysis,
    I'm interested in learning more about fish oil and other omega 3/6 supplements. Maybe someone can start a thread about them. I'd hate to get off topic in this global warming thread.

mtbr member

This should give you someplace to start. It review & tests for what is in it.ConsumerLab.com

Sorry link didn't work, but that is the site.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm interested in learning more about fish oil and other omega 3/6 supplements. Maybe someone can start a thread about them. I'd hate to get off topic in this global warming thread.
    Well, if u want to get lots of O3 in EPA and DHA, then it's basically ocean food for you. That algae thing does sound kind of interesting, though.

You could also cut back on the O6, which most people don't have a shortage of, and this drops your O3 requirement a bit since it is the ratio that is important.

banned
    Apr 2009
    take ONLY Omega 3 (Not standard fish oil)---and take ONLY this brand (Nordic Naturals)--

the Ultimate Omega (with Vitamin D-3)----if there was only one vitamin/supplement I would take, it would be an Omega 3..

Fish oils have Omega 6--they cause inflammation..

In Europe they give Omega 3 instead of Pharmaceuticals (for everything from Heart Disease to Depression---don't ever need any Prozac..)

--for any clown who tries to deny this, the healthiest people on the planet have the most Omega 3 in their diet!!!!--See which areas of the planet people have these in their diet and see what Cancer, etc.. they NEVER get compared to others who standard America (conventional, processed, non-organic food)---

mtbr member
    The amount of Omega 6 in fish oil supplements would be insignificant compared what you already get in your diet, and would not be an inflammation concern.
    And the people with with the highest omega 3 intake are healthy as you say, and they get the omega 3 from fish, not from purified omega 3.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Eating fish today isn't healthy. They are pretty much swimming ddt/pcbs/cadmium/lead/dioxins (and now also radioactive) accumulators.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Eating fish today isn't healthy. They are pretty much swimming ddt/pcbs/cadmium/lead/dioxins (and now also radioactive) accumulators.

If you want to eat fish, you could choose those lowest on the food chain, ie sardines, kipper, or fresh caught freshwater fish, such as trout, crappie, bass, etc.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    You should try and get your O3 from food sources. Taking the supplements is not a good idea unless your doctor suggests it. As mentioned above, the O6/O3 ratio is important. The average American diet is somewhere around 10-15:1. Ideal is closer to 1:1 So if you try to reduce the O6 in your diet, and then take O3 supplements you may be blowing the ratio out the other direction with no benefits. Some evidence suggests megadoses of O3 may inhibit your immune function, and many people report unpleasant and embarrassing bowel problems with fish oil supplements (i.e. leakage and diarrhea).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    You should try and get your O3 from food sources. Taking the supplements is not a good idea unless your doctor suggests it. As mentioned above, the O6/O3 ratio is important. The average American diet is somewhere around 10-15:1. Ideal is closer to 1:1 So if you try to reduce the O6 in your diet, and then take O3 supplements you may be blowing the ratio out the other direction with no benefits. Some evidence suggests megadoses of O3 may inhibit your immune function, and many people report unpleasant and embarrassing bowel problems with fish oil supplements (i.e. leakage and diarrhea).
    Unless you are taking super gigantic doses of O3, there is no way you are going to "blow the ratio out the other direction".
    A diet considered healthy:
    2000 kcal
    25% fat = 56 grams of fat
    92% unsaturated = 52 grams
    10:1 typical ratio O6/O3 = 47g O6 : 5g O3

To get that ratio to 1:1 you would have to supplement with 21 gs of O3 which would be something like 60 1 g fish oil caps per day ( while cutting out that much O6).

As far as food sources, I see no problem with fish oil caps, since they have been shown to have less contaminants such as mercury and PCBs than fresh fish:

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/...contamination/

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/he...real.html?_r=0

Fish oil and cod liver as safe and hea... [Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

~ B A D A S S ~
    The best omega 3 caps are moleculary (is that spelled correctly?) centrifuged to separe the good stuff from the toxins (different density of all things) . this is the exact same process used in all type of pharmaceutical indstry and can get very clean results.

I like omega 3 and sometime I take heroic doses, no just kidding but 6g a day isn't even close to overdoing it. A bottle a day thats overdoing it.

Every thing thats from nature, unpatentable and works will always have these contradictory research results. Every year there are studies suggesting mobile phones gives you cancer, and every year there are studies saying they don't.

The truth with research studies today is that if you come to a conclusion that the ones that pay your salary don't like, then you get no funding ever again. Every thing is bought, bribed and paid for in this world. Objective unbiased research doesn't exist. Not any more.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Could we maybe call the stuff by the right name?

ω-3 or n-3.

O3 is not a proper abbreviation for omega 3 fatty acids. O3 could be ozone. But, it is not omega 3.

You don't call a stem a goose neck or pedals paddles?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post

ω-3 or n-3.

O3 is not a proper abbreviation for omega 3 fatty acids. O3 could be ozone. But, it is not omega 3.

Pretty sure we all knew what he meant

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post

ω-3 or n-3.

You are right.
    Excuuuussse me!!!

I don't have an omega key, but I wish I did!

I've seen a lot of people talking about peddles and breaks on this forum, and I wonder, is gooseneck ok, or did the Ahead set make that term obsolete? (Rhetorical, please don't answer!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Pretty sure we all knew what he meant
    I kenw smeonoe wulod cmomnet aubot porepr nmanig bcuaese we colud udnrsetnad waht tehy mnaet.

There is a reason for using proper terminology - ensuring others understand the ideas you are communicating.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You are right.
    Excuuuussse me!!!

I don't have an omega key, but I wish I did!

I've seen a lot of people talking about peddles and breaks on this forum,
    And seats.

Specialized sucks ass.

Village Newbie
    I take a Krill oil pill once a day, it has hyaluronic acid in it which greatly decreases the pain from my arthritis in my neck. I take one of those vs the 6 fish oil pills I was taking when I was able to lift weights. Schiff makes it - joint care is how its marketed. Works well for me, YMMV.

Save Jesus
    I'll continue to call it O3 out of spite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickWilly8019 View Post
    I take a Krill oil pill once a day, it has hyaluronic acid in it which greatly decreases the pain from my arthritis in my neck. I take one of those vs the 6 fish oil pills I was taking when I was able to lift weights. Schiff makes it - joint care is how its marketed. Works well for me, YMMV.
    I don't think there is hyaluronic acid in it, but it does reduce joint inflammation, and Krill oil definitely seems to be interesting stuff.

Here's a good research paper on it. 1.5 grams of Krill oil daily lowered LDL 35%, compared to 3 grams of fish oil daily which lowered LDL 4.5%
    To me that's a pretty exciting result.

One of the differences in Krill oil compared to fish oil is the Omega 3 (O3 ha ha) FA's are in a phospholipid form, and more bioavailable.

http://www.howardgroupinc.com/Portal...rlipidemia.pdf

~ B A D A S S ~
    you guys should look into resveratrol and curcumin

Specialized sucks ass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast