mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Energy levels falling earlier in rides than usual?

Normally if I ride anything up to 2 hours I won't eat until I'm home or back to the car. If I know I'm riding 2.5-3+ hours I'll eat at the 1-1.5 hour mark and every 45 mins thereafter and that has worked well for me.

A couple months ago I got a power meter on my road bike and did an 8 week training program of twice a week intervals. My 20 minute power levels rose by 9.5% in that period. My training book said that you will peak in performance around the 8 week mark then start to fall flat.

So... do you think I'm falling flat or does my increased power mean I am burning up glycogen stores at a faster rate and I now need to eat earlier in the ride?

mtbr member
    Riding harder WILL burn more fuel so if your not eating more fuel you'll empty the glycogen tank more quickly and more often, basic maths really.

There might be other reasons but this is the one that gets me every time, my 5-6hr rides have me burning 600cal - 900cal p/hr so I'll burn north of 3500cal on a long ride if I've been doing 2 x 20min intervals or slightly longer sweet spot intervals earlier in the week and don't keep up the food intake bad things happen, both on the bike & at work etc.
    Basicly I'll eat 300 - 400cal p/hr on the bike when doing longer than ~2hrs and ~10g of carbs p/kg of body weight per day training or not.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The odd thing is that my perceived exertion level is like 6/10 now when it was 9/10 before for the same speed. So it feels like I'm just out having fun instead of working out, but I'm starting to gas out a lot sooner.

What do you eat to get 400 calories per hour? The honey stinger gels I have only have 100 calories I think. Eating 4 per our would get expensive haha. I usually eat my first one at the 1-1.5 hour mark and every 45 mins after that if I'm going to be riding 2.5-3+ hours.

mtbr member
    Mostly dates and home made energy slice/cake cut into ~ 200cal - 250cal pieces and eat one evey 30 - 40 mins also mix in a banana or 3 for longer rides and sometimes sport drinks but prefer to eat real food and drink plain water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    The odd thing is that my perceived exertion level is like 6/10 now when it was 9/10 before for the same speed. So it feels like I'm just out having fun instead of working out, but I'm starting to gas out a lot sooner.

Should also mention your probably fitter now so riding at a higher pace feels easier, thats what is supposed to happen when you get fitter...... it's a good thing BTW,
    but that doesn't mean your burning less fuel when it feels easier, the exact opposite is true your burning more fuel, you can ride harder for longer so long as you keep the fuel going in.
    My slices cost me about $2 for over 7'000 cals, that's what 70 gels? that's why I don't bother with them too expensive, just flour, sugar, water and add anything you like to spice them up.

EDIT: You don't have to eat 400cal/hr! thats the upper limit for me on longer rides at a lower but still solid pace. Some people can only handle
    200 - 300cal/hr, if all I ate was gels and drinks at 400cal/hr I'd get bloated and sick in the stomach, that's why I prefer to eat cals drink water.
    Last edited by aussiebullet; 3 Days Ago at 02:59 PM.

Formerly of Kent
    I just took a look at the SRM on my road bike. I've put in 24hrs on the road bike this month, and burned 18,000+ kj. That's 750kj/hr. It's slightly lower on the MTB, from memory, but I can't remember how much.

I'm only 145lbs. I have to eat once an hour, or I'll hit the wall quite quickly. At your size, you can store more kJ of glycogen in your muscles, but you'll also burn it faster, in theory, if you're producing more power.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!