mtbr member

Electrolyte Replacement - Pro feedback?

Is anyone here a pro endurance rider, and/or sports nutritionist?

Am looking for objective opinions with more detailed analysis than "Tastes good, I like it" or "works for me".

I have tried most of the big names, and more recently Heed, First Endurance EFS, Osmo, Endurolytes Caps, and Salt Stick Caps.

Detailed reviews or comparisons are oddly hard to find. Many reviews seem to parrot the PR claims of manufacturers. My favorite is the Osmo claim that the research was subjected to "Peer Review". But no "Peers" or review conclusions are ever posted.

I know all these products help. And most seem to be similar concoctions. And perhaps there isn't much difference.

I often ride for 4/5 or more hours, and usually both days on weekends. I sweat like a leaky water truck, and am prone to bad cramps. Consistent use of any of the above seem to help. And a pro sports nutritionist recommended Slat Stick Caps for my metabolic profile -as they have a higher sodium count.

I use a 100oz camelbak w/pure water, a water bottle with powder mix, which I replenish, and a small bottle of either E Caps, or Salt Stick Caps. I "pre-load" for big rides.

First Endurance seems to offer the highest concentration of Electrolyte replacement. And their gel has even more sodium than Salt Stick. I have heard positive/compelling anecdotal feedback on their products.

1. Do we "max out" on the ability to replenish lost electrolytes on long/hot rides? (My shorts show salt stains after longish rides, but I tend to doubt that I can balance electrolyte loss/replacement)

2. Do any of the above products "stand out" as being significantly more effective than others?

3. Any other enlightening feedback appreciated.

Thanks!
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am a HUGE fan and proponent of coconut water. I drink it regularly as an electrolyte drink while on rides and after as a replacement. I have noticed recovery times much shorter using it as opposed to any of the manufactured products out there.

I am not a professional racer anymore but my road rides are getting longer and my trail rides are as well. I ride regularly and have been for over 20 years and have tried just about everything out there.

just my 2 cents but it may be worth a try. There is a dehydrated coconut water you can get that I have used and mixed in my water bottles that has been great.

cheers!
    Marzocchi USA
    1800-227-5579
    www.marzocchi.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Marzocchi - I had recently been interested in that as a natural supplement.
    Here's what Wiki says:
    "Coconut water has a high potassium content and contains antioxidants.[6] It also contains cytokinins[7] which promote plant cell division and growth. Other biologically active ingredients in coconut water include L-arginine, ascorbic acid and magnesium."

Quote Originally Posted by Marzocchi_USA View Post
    I am a HUGE fan and proponent of coconut water. I drink it regularly as an electrolyte drink while on rides and after as a replacement. I have noticed recovery times much shorter using it as opposed to any of the manufactured products out there.

I am not a professional racer anymore but my road rides are getting longer and my trail rides are as well. I ride regularly and have been for over 20 years and have tried just about everything out there.

just my 2 cents but it may be worth a try. There is a dehydrated coconut water you can get that I have used and mixed in my water bottles that has been great.

cheers!
    I like to bike.