mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Easiest way to eat shot blocks while riding?

I bought tons of shot blocks at walmart on closeout. I tried pushing them out like a push up pop but they get stuck and you have to rip the package open more and my gloves get sticky. It's frustrating to have to stop and fiddle with the package to get them out. I put them in a plastic bag but it's still a PITA with gloves. I'm sure at least a few people feel this way, maybe someone has a better solution or it's just the nature of the beast.

mtbr member
    Intravenously?
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good one

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Easiest way to eat shot blocks while riding?

I stop to eat mine since I keep them in my camelbak, but if you want to eat them without stopping, why not just cut the top of the package off before your ride? Then it shouldn't be a problem to push them out on the go. When it's half way out, just grab the blok with your teeth.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by zerokoo149 View Post
    I stop to eat mine since I keep them in my camelbak, but if you want to eat them without stopping, why not just cut the top of the package off before your ride? Then it shouldn't be a problem to push them out on the go. When it's half way out, just grab the blok with your teeth.
    This all ways work's for me.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Try to keep them cold (freeze the night before?) They probably stick a lot more than normal once they get hot from sitting my a jersey pocket. I had these once, but kept them in a saddle bag. The package was a pain to open on the go. Normally, I'd consider these as more of a mid ride snack. I prefer the goo packs. Actually tape them to my top bar and rip them off as I'm riding. Looks ghetto, but works.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It works well to cut the top with scissors before the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This is more of a roadie tip, but it will work for mtb as well.

Cut the Shot Blocks into 2 or 3 block sections . Lick the bottom of the Shot Blocks and stick it to the top tube (Near the head tube).

This actually works. If you think this is gross, you most likely should not be riding in the dirt anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good ideas, I never thought of cutting it before. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Those Clif Shots take so much chewing that I can't eat them anymore. I prefer the honey stinger chews and you can also find them on closeout. One trick that I use for gels is well is cut the top just a bit and use electrical tape on your stem. When pull the them off from under the electrical tape they are open and ready to eat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I do something similar with the Gu packs. Just tape them to my top tube when I go road riding (just for exercise though, my true love is dirt). A roadie saw it and said I was brilliant. I agreed.

Honeystinger's are good. Fair warning, if you keep them in your camemback for a couple rides (~5), they tend to fall apart. Fine if you're stopped but when riding, they can get messy. I've recently gotten into grabbing gummy bears from my kid's candy stash. Not as good as the shot blocks, but easy to eat on the trail if you just want a quick burst of energy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Put a zip tie around your bars and string shot blocks on them. Not good if it's really muddy. Also, if it's too hot, they'll slide off by themselves. If it's single-digits, you can't get them off the zip tie. Works well in all other conditions.