mtbr member

During Ride Drink

So I work on a bike and ride 20+ miles throughout my shift (not a whole lot for a entire shift). I also ride a lot in my free time, rec and endurance.

I am looking for a drink with no sugar (healthy), but is good at replenishing electrolytes. Any suggestions?

Would be drunk daily so cant be too expensive.

Thanks

All this harmonica stuff
    Once you begin a routine intake of Water, there's no replacement and it keeps you lean.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Vitalyte doesn't have much sugar, and it's pretty cheap. If you want no sugar at all you may have to roll your own. On the plus side that could be the cheapest option out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    These hydration products contain no sugar.

Nuun | Optimal Hydration

mtbr member
    GU Brew is the same. Hammer Nutrition makes one too. Or you can get electrolyte capsules that have no calories. Or make your own. It's easy and cheap. Add it to your drink or make your own capsules.

As far as no sugar, if you are riding long/hard/far enough, you'll want some carbs to keep you fueled for riding. 100-200 calories per hour depending on intensity and length of ride. If I'm riding less than 3 hours or 40 miles, I'll generally take water. Anything more than that and I'm taking calories/electrolytes with me too. That's on the road. Mountain biking, two hours would probably be a good time range but the miles will be less. Certainly anything 20 miles or more and you'll want to have an energy source with you on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I guess I worded that wrong. I dont really care about "no sugar" just didnt want it to be a really unhealthy drink.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix an All Natural Sports Drink | Skratch Labs

a combination of water and the above works for me. Perhaps try just plain water and an electrolyte tablet (endurolytes - salt stick etc..) both options work for me

mtbr member
    I'm a big believer in the Skratch Labs product. I drink 20oz before a ride and plain water before. I can notice a real difference when I don't take it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Why not use a drink with sugar in it? I mean, unless you're diabetic, sugar will help give you a good pep up during a long ride. You don't have to drink the super powered, off the shelf Gatorade straight from the bottle, but watering it down 2 to 1 will make it pretty balanced between electrolytes, hydration, and sugar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    I guess I worded that wrong. I dont really care about "no sugar" just didnt want it to be a really unhealthy drink.
    Again, I worded that wrong, I am ok with sugar, just looking for something not terribly unhealthy as it would be a daily drink.

mtbr member
    Anything short of Gatorade or Powerade or similar is going to be costly and even those aren't that cheap. Do you really need such a drink daily? I mean unless you are really going all out max effort, 20 miles isn't that much riding...not so much that water can't take care of your hydration needs and you shouldn't need the energy boost. As far as electrolytes, you can get those fairly inexpensively or make your own, again, if they are even needed for daily use. For longer rides I'd certainly recommend looking into something like Tailwind Nutrition and/or an electrolyte replacement...I personally am using GU Brew fizz tablets right now with good results as well as Tailwind for my nutrition on the bikes needs.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Unless you're hammering a hard ride, you probably get enough electrolytes in your food. Any low sugar drink that tastes good enough to encourage you to hydrate is probably fine. I'd avoid fake sweeteners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hnetsrik View Post
    These hydration products contain no sugar.

Nuun | Optimal Hydration
    I use his and like it a lot. Will add one full tablet to my hydration pack or half a tablet in a water bottle.

saddlemeat
    Apple juice mixed with water is good, ~25% apple juice.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    coconut water has the highest natural source of electrolytes. i've drank it after a race when my legs were cramping, works fast. make sure you get it in the natural section of your grocery store, that way there's no sugar added.

mtbr member
    I like it as a pre-ride too. I'll drink some and a bunch of water to make sure I'm hydrated before I even venture out.

mtbr member
    I drink water/gatorade 50/5o mix, which I like (orange flavor)
    Last edited by Polished Fuji; 08-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    A Camelbak full of iced Vanilla Coke!

...oh wait, no. Iced water always suits me fine.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Water in my Camelbak, Tailwind Nutrition mixed in my 26oz water bottle. Tailwind is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Water in my Camelbak (long rides or super high heat only), 20 oz bottle of Accelerade on the bike. Water only first hour, then sip Accelerade in high-heat as well as water. Sugar is not the enemy when doing intense exercise. Be sure to find something that sits well in your stomach. Accelerade never bothers me and gives me a huge energy boost by topping off Glycogen stores as well as providing the sodium I need in high-heat. Short rides under 12 miles I do no pack at all, and just the bottle with water.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I pretty much only drink water when riding. Every now and again I'll spice it up with a lemon or a lime but good ole' water works for me.
    MTB DIGEST
    Reviews, Giveaways, Raffles & Much More
    Website - Facebook - Instagram

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    So I work on a bike and ride 20+ miles throughout my shift (not a whole lot for a entire shift). I also ride a lot in my free time, rec and endurance.

I am looking for a drink with no sugar (healthy), but is good at replenishing electrolytes. Any suggestions?

Would be drunk daily so cant be too expensive.

Thanks

I am replying only because I have an issue with something

"I am looking for a drink with no sugar (healthy), but is good at replenishing electrolytes."

Nubster has it right....

no sugar (healthy) ...what are you saying, that electrolyte replacement drinks with sugar are unhealthy ? because that is incorrect.

it can be used incorrectly, such as sitting on the couch and that is all you drink...
    same as putting your hand in kitchen sink disposer can be unhealthy if you use it incorrectly

but if you are riding, a drink with sugar can be more healthy than one without. 60 grams carbs per hour is pretty standard
    ------------
    as far as daily and cheap...I buy bags of gatorade powder by the case and stick them in the cabinet, and mix up gatorade bottles for each ride. I just throw away what doesn't get used when I roll home...mix it weaker or stronger but it does the job fine and doesn't cost much. do NOT order the cans...every damn time someone shipped me cans they arrived broken...bags don't break

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    Hi Alex,

I think the common thread here is that you need to look at the type of riding you are doing. What you use will vary depending on if you are "riding at work" vs. "a rec ride" or an "endurance ride".

Riding at work might be comprised of short stints on the bike with periods of rest in between. In this case, your normal meals just might be enough supplemented with some snacks. As someone mentioned above, the American diet typically has more than enough sodium in it from an electrolyte perspective.

For a recreational ride less than hour, water is typically fine assuming you're starting with a full tank. Generally speaking we have about 1.5 hours worth of fuel in our glycogen stores to fuel us. Between 1-2 hours, aim for 100-200 calories and some electrolytes depending on how hard you are going. Finally, 2+ hour rides you do want to stay on top of your caloric intake per hour as well as your electrolytes because you are depleting your glycogen stores and the sodium is helping you stay hydrated.

Everyone is different, and I'm the first one to say experiment with different approaches and see what works for you.
    Tailwind Nutrition
    www.tailwindnutrition.com
    www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition
    Twitter: @gotailwind