mtbr member

Does anyone get headaches after riding?

Fighting a mild migraine as I type this. This only seems to happen to me if I ride in the morning. Last year the doc told me it was probably because I was eating sugar before riding, which made my blood sugar spike, then tank after riding.

Today I are two pieces of toast, three eggs, and a bottle of water. During the ride I drank 32oz of Gatorade/water mix.

I only ride 10mile or less usually in about an hour with a mix of up and down hill.

This year I'm not in the shape I was last year, but I was in pretty damn good shape last year and it still happened. It has never happened after afternoon or evening ride.

mtbr member

I also ended up getting really sick to my stomach this time. After laying in bed for a couple hours I feel better. My mother in law said it sounds like I could be having blood pressure issues, which does run in my family.

I just turned 30 and I'm 5'9" and 180lbs and have always had blood pressure around 120 over 80.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It happens to me from time to time, but it's always due dehydration on hot days and long rides, where I don't have chances to refill my bottles often enough. I know you will say, you only ride 10miles or less, but we are all different, and most important, we are in different shape. 80km ride for me might be same as 5km ride for some couch potato who never goes out. So if you are not in all that great shape, 10 miles can be enough to be counted as "long ride", and normally 1h is already something to get dehydration under right circumstances.
    Another thing is, proper body hydration is not about hydration during ride and half hour before ride, but at least through last day or 2 before rides. So if you didn't drink enough during last few days, or you were actually drinking some alcohol (and a lot of coffee), this water you have been drinking during ride won't be enough.
    My suggestion is, try drinking more during days before your ride... like a lot more then normal people are used to, because normal people are used to drink cup or two of water a day, when you should really drink 2+ liters a day. And another one, skip Gatorade and crap like that. No matter what people say, for recreational sport, just water is enough. You got more then enough electrolytes, salt etc. in those 2 pieces of toast and 3 eggs just just eat before you went, not to mention, you will get more then your daily need is, with lunch following your bike ride... and snacks during day, and dinner, and before sleep meal and...

mtbr member

I have been drinking to much coffee lately... I've been in really good shape since I was a teenager, but the last couple years have spun me on my head. After my wife got pregnant gym visits lessened, then after the baby was born and I started working 55hrs a week they really went away.

I'm still in better shape than most and I'm probably pushing my crappy cardio to far. I'm still very physically strong, but my cardio is suspect now.

I'll stop the coffee, drink a gallon of water a day, and clean up my diet.

Before I got married and had kids I ate clean, drank a gallon + water a day, and worked out 5 days a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to say you are not in good shape or anything similar. I was just telling that normally I have headache after workout, when I end up dehydrated. And good shape or no good shape, when it's warm weather (warm can be also +5c when I go xc skiing, so it's not necessarily to be +35c to have fear of dehydration), 1 hour of intense workout (with xc skiing when going hard, it's no problem for me to get to 150-160 average HR for hour or two) is more then enough to get these sort of headache if not drinking enough (during workout and day or two before those workouts, considering I'm trying to do something pretty much every day, this means drinking like crazy all the time ).
    If you can stop coffee good, personally I can't. I'm addicted to good espresso, so there's no way I could stop drinking coffee, but on hot days I try to keep it low, and I try not to drink it 3 or 4h before workout. I rather have two after I come back.
    As far as your stomach problems from second post go, I rather won't speculate on that, as for this, I would personally rather get some doctor's advice then someone on forum telling me what it could be, especially if this would happen often. If it was just one time, then I wouldn't bother. But I still wouldn't think blood pressure would have something to do with stomach problems, or even headache. With dizziness yes, but that's different. I have no idea how it's there where you live, but over here those home blood pressure measuring devices are relatively cheap (like 30-40eur), and even though not medical accurate, still good enough to get idea where you are, so why not getting one and you can check this yourself in few seconds.

mtbr member

I'm in the US and I already have one of the testers and will start using it.

I'm going to go back to the doc and see if they can figure anything else out. Within the last six months I had extensive blood work done and it was all normal.

It doesn't happen all the time and is very random. Has never happened if the ride is in the afternoon/evening, only in the morning.

mtbr member
    1) Get ample rest before riding day.
    2) Eat balanced breakfast. Avoid the sugary drinks, just drink water with breakfast.
    3) Don't assign your current health due to marriage, children, or whatever. It's about what you do to yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Where are your headaches starting? Back when I rode a lot of motocross and woods on dirt bikes I found I was death gripping the bars and by the time I was driving home my traps and between my shoulder blades were killing me. From time to time I still catch myself tensing up.

mtbr member

I rode today in the 90 degree heat and went the same route and about the same speed. I completely cut out caffeine and have been drinking at least 32oz more water than usual.

Went into the ride dog tired because I worked a 10 hour shift prior to riding. I tried to make sure I warmed up and cooled down on this ride AND used a camel pack and drank a lot of water. And poured a bottle of water on my head afterwards.

No headache at all and no other ill effects. I guess I will try to continue doing these things and I will try not to ride to hard until I get my cardio back up to snuff.

mtbr member

Went back to the doc yesterday and he said he doesn't think I have anything wrong. It seems to think that the change in routine, especially cutting the coffee could be triggering them.

He did give me some stuff to help prevent them and some imitrex incase I develop one.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Does anyone get headaches after riding?

I suffer classic migraine, meaning I get a migraine aura (visual disturbance) for 45 then a major headache and diminished cognitive ability and concentration long after. If you do mean migraine (usually accompanied by other symptoms) then it's all about finding triggers. Keep a diary to find them.

Surprisingly neck and shoulder tension can be a strong trigger for classic migraine (not often mentioned, usually it's food triggers in the literature) , which, means long rides exacerbate migraines. Cramped, shrugging positions on long rides do it. Once I discovered this, I got a physical therapist to look at my shoulder and neck tension and give me exercises and stretches. This has dramatically cut mine down. I'm stretching my neck and shoulders constantly now, 10-20 times a day.

Edit : Thor said the same - that's two of us!

Also, a clinical study showed a daily melatonin supplement at night reduced migraines by 30%. I feel this helps me too. At my peak I was getting one a week, now I'm one every 4mos or so.

http://www.neurologyreviews.com/home...e48a64dc5.html

mtbr member

I used to get bad headaches after riding but lately I noticed if i take off my helmet when climbing I experience lesser intensity or no headaches at all. I do put my helmet back on if the climbs get gnarly or if its a new trail.
    Last edited by Daxdagr8t; 08-05-2014 at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member

I'm just glad I'm not the only one to suffer this. I was worried it could be serious but the doc kinda shrugged it off. Riding tomorrow morning for the first time since I got the meds, we shall see what happens.

mtbr member
    Only if I'm dehydrated. I know I need to drink more because I'll get a hangover type headache which goes away shortly after I chug a liter of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member

Got a headache again today after riding...

Back to the drawing board.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I only started riding a week ago but the first three days of riding I got headaches after my commute to work.

What I did was get up ten minutes earlier in the morning and I have a really big cup of tea and some breakfast - egg on toast usually, something light. I also take a bottle of water with me so I can drink as I go.

Seems to have worked a treat.

I still get a headache after my ride home, though, because I don't get to eat between 2pm (lunch) and 8pm when I finish. I'm thinking I might just get some breakfast bars or protein bars and have one around 7.30pm before I ride home.

Don't forget man, that drinking whilst riding isn't the same as being hydrated properly - you need to be drinking plenty of water throughout the day. I also think that riding in a ketogenic state doesn't help (i.e. you need some food in your tummy.)

-sc00t

EMBA Member
    I have noticed that I have been getting headaches after riding but only when I do a longer and hotter ride then usual. I work swing shift so I get to ride in the mornings not the afternoon and that helps. I run a HR of between 140 and 150 avg and drink a lot starting an hour before the ride. Just started doing some research and what I have learned is straight water and lots of it while riding and I am going to try a sports drink after the ride to see if that might help. What I am most interested in is getting the sodium and potassium in a solution that will absorb quickly. I am no expert by any means but from what I have read it seems like the commercial drinks have way too much carb and calories. Feed Zone Portables by Thomas & Lin has been a great read. IMO of course. Slim
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've had similar problems when doing intense crossfit workouts. My sugar would drop and I would get a severe migraine / get super grumpy / couldn't concentrate. In short, I was over-training. I noticed I was getting weaker and felt like poo.

So I started to scale my workouts / eat better and it worked. I wasn't pushing myself nearly as hard but started to get stronger and feel better.

Same goes for biking...I've learned when I need to let off the throttle and let my body catch up.

Do you get any relief if you drink/eat something carby after the headaches comes? I remember laying flat on my back, sweat pouring, and start feeling chilly. I had an intense craving for sugar when I'd bottom out so I started packing a chocolate milk. Within 10 minutes the headache was gone and I started feeling normal.

mtbr member

Actually one of two things fixed mine, no aspartame or taking a couple aspirin before riding.

I started looking up common triggers and aspartame was one of them so I decided to quit consuming it. I was drinking diet pop and adding aspartame to my coffee.

Mother in law, who is an RN, suggested I try taking a couple aspirin before riding.

So far one of the two fixed it and I have a feeling it was the aspartame. I think this because the dull headache I got at work almost daily are completely gone...
    Last edited by Sickmak90; 08-28-2014 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Awesome to hear! Happy riding!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have this issue, my short after work ride is almost never an issue. If I do my 15 or 20+ mile rides I always get a killer headache afterwards.

Im not sure I consume anything with aspartame...Ill try to find out. Im gonna try to drink more water daily and try the aspirin before the ride. We talking 80mg? or a more "pain relief" dose?

Anyway, very helpful thread

mtbr member

I took a "pain relief" dose of two but plan on trying one next ride which is 325mg I believe.

I also got a MUCH better and more ventilated helmet which I'm hoping will help keep me cooler and possibly eliminate the problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Are you chewing any gum with aspartame?