Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you prefer liquid or solid nutrition on long rides?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  swingset 
#1 · (Edited)
on rides of more than 3 hours, who sticks to liquid nutrition? For those that bring food, what works for you?

Opinions?

#2 ·
Since everyone's habits/needs are different this is strictly what does it for me:

Shorter rides, typically just carb up at the start and stay with just plain water throughout the ride.

Longer mountain rides, carb up to start, solid fuel through out, plain water.

Longer road rides, carb up to start, solid fuel through out, half and half liquid nutrition and plain water.

Side note, all of the "solids" I eat usually are in the form of shotblox, chomps, moons, nuts and other similar items. I cannot eat all willy nilly as it will ruin my stomach and I will feel like crap the entire ride. I used to ride a dozen or so road centuries a year and I learned real fast what my body will and won't tolerate. If you are experimenting with eating and nutrition, I would highly suggest taking a roll of tums in your pack in case you find the losing combination for you.

#7 ·
almond + oatmeal + blueberry + banana smoothie = WIN before any 2-4 hr ride.

Overall its a great balance between complex/simple carbs. The almonds contain protein and vitamin-e to reduce muscle fatigue while supplying you with quality energy without drawing too much blood for digestion... a smoothie before you start and a quality energy bar half-way towards the end of the ride works great for me and can sustain you until a full meal afterwards.

#12 ·
Perfect hydration: 2:1 ratio of coconut water to purified or filtered water. I buy Vita Rain coconut water by the case at Costco, took me a while to develop a taste for it but now I crave it and find it really helps to avoid cramps and dehydration. No high fructose corn syrup (really damages your liver), no added glucose or artificial sweeteners. And it has magnesium, potassium and other minerals to help support what you lose during your ride.

#13 ·
No high fructose corn syrup (really damages your liver)
The only science I've seen on HFCS and liver scarring suggests it exacerbates liver disease in high quantities, but does not cause it or harm the liver in normal quantities, in healthy adults. This is all from a single study, IIRC.

I'm certainly open to any findings of the contrary.

#14 ·
Good point, do you think that means high quantities in single doses or overall? Because if you eat any processed foods, tree fruits (oranges, pears, apples - most now are genetically modified and produce more fructose than glucose), candy, most protein shakes, etc... You are getting fructose (not just HFCS) and that is triggering a response from your liver as well as insulin response from your pancreas. I'm very carefully choosing my energy bars and gels these days due to this, maybe you should too (unless you work for a manufacturer of HFCS and they demand you eat their products) LOL

#15 ·
I try to watch my intake of all sugars, like I do sodium, carbs, etc. I've never been particularly concerned about HFCS in and of itself because if it were as bad as alarmists tend to say, we'd be seeing massive, sweeping health problems with the amounts most people eat and we do not. It's clearly not that unhealthy. And, I tend to think that goes with all foods that are cautioned against.

Moderation has always been the real issue, from aspartame to processed foods, etc. Eat too much of anything, and it's bad. Eat too much fruit, bad. Drink too much water? Bad. Too much HFCS? Bad.

In small quantities, HFCS is just sugar...and your body needs it and will use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.