mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Diabetic rider badly needs nutrition advice

So I have been mountain biking casually for several years. But this year I've kicked it up a couple notches and decided to train hard and ride as hard as I can. I tend to get my ass kicked by my diabetes most of the time. One of two things happens. I start with a normal blood sugar, and end up with a severe blood sugar crash that leaves me ruined. It happens even if I am pulling gatorade from my camelbak. Its just not enough to keep me sustained from a normal blood sugar. The other thing is I try to load up on carbs beforehand, my blood sugar goes high and I dehydrate from it in 30 minutes of hard riding or less. I can't seem to walk the line. Any other diabetic riders out there have any advice? Thanks in advance - Scotto

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    From my experience, don't load up on carbs before you start, but take enough to replace them as you ride. I check my glucose level before I leave. If it's normal, I'll bring a Powerbar and/or a pack of energy chews (like Gu Chomps) for every 45 to 60 minutes I expect to be out, and then one more in case I end up riding longer. It's very important to replace carbs as you ride, especially if you're grinding up a long hill, or spinning on a fast flat.

Your ratios are probably different. One book that really helped me get it figured out was The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook by Sheri Colberg. The first few chapters are full of general information, then she goes into specifics for each sport. It's a lot of good info.

I had a lot of similar sounding problems last year, when I was first starting out on longer rides. I read that book during the winter, and haven't had any issues this year.

You'll need to figure out how many grams of carbs to eat each hour. That book has tables based on your weight. Powerbars and Clif bars seem to be better for keeping my levels normal as I'm riding. If I do feel low, energy gels or chews seem to bring it back up more quickly than Powerbars, which is why I carry both.

The key is to eat something before you crash. I listen to music on my phone while I ride, and I sometimes set a reminder to go off in 60 minutes. Otherwise, I'm tempted to keep going until I feel woozy, which is not very safe.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Authalic thank you so much for the timely and wise advice. I appreciate hearing from other riders who have the same challenges and have been able to get past them. That book is something I have seen mentioned in several other threads I read about this. I will certainly be picking that up. Thanks again for the timely response.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    One thing that helps stabilize blood sugar levels is a good fish oil supplement, it certainly wont fix your problem but it can help. One brand that is very good is nordic naturals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Plus one thing.......are you taking a long acting insulin?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrn12 View Post
    One thing that helps stabilize blood sugar levels is a good fish oil supplement, it certainly wont fix your problem but it can help. One brand that is very good is nordic naturals.
    Do you have scientific research demonstrating a link between glycemic control and fish oil supplementation?

I am not aware of this information and it would be interesting to read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrn12 View Post
    Plus one thing.......are you taking a long acting insulin?
    Yes I'm using Levemir 25u AM and 25u PM.Not sure if I can use fish oil supplements. I've had an intermittent allergic type reaction after eating seafood. Not sure if a fish oil supplement would set it off, but a bit nervous about trying it. I can hardly wait to get my hands on that book. Ordered it off amazon the other night.

mtbr member
    I haven't biked with any diabetics, but i've played other sports with them. For the most part they got by with gatorade. Some sort of sugary energy chew would probably be good too, but you would need a more liquid to help digest etc. If it were me I would try drinking more gatorade, but I know sometimes that bloaty feeling sucks.

Have you talked to a doctor or dietician?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Trial and error Scott. There is no easy answer and all our bodies respond differently. Also as soon as you have it figured it may change.

Personally, I pack a pound of candy just incase, test often, have a small snack before riding and back off insulin pump.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the replies folks. I did receive the book "The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" that Justin recommended, and I must say it is a wealth of knowledge. I have already seen some improvement, having been on two rides with no blood sugar crashes or extreme highs. Still not really dialed in, but definitely a small improvement. Lahrs is right, trial and error, but mostly error so far. The book does provide a great foundation to work from. Mountain biking is so weird to deal with because of the sudden extreme extended bursts of energy with the not so intense periods in between. I've been able to play football and do long periods of manual labor without having this problem, but mountain biking brings it out. I pack a big bag of skittles in my saddle bag and a packet of gatorade chews in my pocket. The skittles are a last resort. I usually fill one bottle with gatorade and wear my camelbak with water. The gatorade alone cannot keep my booldsugar stable and it tears up my stomach while working out. I found something new called Skratch, a hydration formula full of natural complex carbs. I'm going to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Skratch Labs is awesome. My favourite drink. It doesn't give me gut rot like Gatorade etc. I mix it stronger on hotter/harder days.

Like I alluded to before, once your body gets used to the harder riding it will hopefully not drop bsl as much as it does initially.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    Skratch Labs is awesome. My favourite drink. It doesn't give me gut rot like Gatorade etc. I mix it stronger on hotter/harder days.

Like I alluded to before, once your body gets used to the harder riding it will hopefully not drop bsl as much as it does initially.

Cheers.
    so I'm not the only person who feels like I've been kicked in the gut if I drink Gatorade while working out? Haha! I thought I was just a freak. I see so many people drinking Gatorade without any problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Other drink powder options I've used that have minimal artificial flavors and colors -
    Refresh (clear), Hammer HEED

Laramie, Wyoming
    Scott, what type diabetes do you have?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Scott, what type diabetes do you have?
    with 25 units of Levemir morning and night I would assume Type 1, but I don't know the doses some Type 2s are taking...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would suggest talking to your Dr, or a nutritionist.

mtbr member
    Lots of great info here. I am not a diabetic, but all except two people in my family are, so I try to follow a the diabetic diet in an effort to avoid/ stave off the problem. Gatorade always tasted sickeningly sweet to me and hurt my stomach too. Does anyone have any comments/feelings on the sweetness/syrupy level of Skratch, Refresh (clear), Hammer HEED?
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

Specialized Myka SE disc 26"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Maim View Post
    Lots of great info here. I am not a diabetic, but all except two people in my family are, so I try to follow a the diabetic diet in an effort to avoid/ stave off the problem. Gatorade always tasted sickeningly sweet to me and hurt my stomach too. Does anyone have any comments/feelings on the sweetness/syrupy level of Skratch, Refresh (clear), Hammer HEED?
    IME Refresh and Hammer are still sweet-ish because they are carb drinks, but not as syrupy and fake-tasting as Gatorade. Hammer is quite mild, and Refresh Clear (my current fuel) is pretty mild too.
    You can buy single servings of HEED so it's cheap to test out for yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    because of certain restrictions and it taking a good bit of planning it doesnt work for everyone but have you ever considered a ketogenic diet? I do it off and on for weight loss purposes but it has shown to be very beneficial for diabetes. I can tell you that personally, coming from someone who consumed a good deal of carbs that cutting them out of my diet makes me feel the best that i have in years. Consistent energy and no crashes

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Do you have scientific research demonstrating a link between glycemic control and fish oil supplementation?

I am not aware of this information and it would be interesting to read.

I am so sorry I did not pay attention to this thread and did not respond earlier...here is one study Fish oil supplements may help fight against type 2 diabetes -- ScienceDaily

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    not a scientific study but IMO this company makes great supplements ProOmega Blood Sugar - Nordic Naturals Pro

mtbr member
    Just checking in as a fellow type 1 rider. I'm 31, type 1 since I was ten, insulin pump. I started riding 2 years ago and have been relatively successful with riding with diabetes. Usually requires eating a few cliff shots during the ride. Recently been experimenting with lowering my basal rate about an hour before the ride as per endo's advice.

Sunday I went for a ride with a group that is faster then me but I tend not to push past my limits. If i get far behind them I dont stress, they wait at intersections. Anyway it was a tough ride, hot, humid. I ate too many carbs on the ride and my sugar was skyrocketing when I got off the trail. When I stopped riding I felt a little off...figured i was over heating and just got in my car and blasted the ac. I started to drive away and a few minutes in realized I couldn't. Had to pull over because I was getting light headed and dizzy.

Ambulance came, whole 9...ended up in the ER getting 2 bags of fluid.

in retrospect I realize i didn't drink much water the day before, so even drinking water while riding maybe I dehydrated from not having enough in my system to start with. I'm not 100% sure though if I dehydrated from my sugar going high or if they aren't really related. Probably made it worse. Maybe if my sugar wasn't shooting up to the moon I would have been able to rehydrate with fluids myself.

Anyway the whole thing obviously freaked me out. My sugars came back down pretty quickly in the ER but I haven't felt 100% since. No dizzyness but still some very faint light headedness or just generally feeling off.