Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Vegan on the S-Works

Cycling tips for weight loss.

People always ask me how I stay climber light all year long for the last decade and how I can eating so much food each day. Here is my tips so I don't have to keep typing it out.

For me, Ive found my diet has been the biggest factor. Sure ECA stackers and other stimulants work short term and at a sacrifice of long term health (hence why so many top athletes eventually chub right out ) but what have you's found as a longterm, healthy, sane and smart choices to maintain trim and fit longterm?

Please share your experiences this is mine.

Im 35, 6ft and 65kg plus or minus 10% and been that weight range for the last decade. It just depends if Im doing more bike racing or kick boxing etc.

As a personal trainer with my main focus on weight loss for my clients, I can honestly say that dieting NEVER works longterm. Sure anyone can starve for a bit but it never works lonterm. Even anorexics that dont die, mostly blow out in the end.

So what works in this western world where 70% of us are overweight? Time and time again we have proven that calories are not calories. Its not as simple as energy in, energy out. If you eat 4000cals a day from fast food you aint gonna look, feel and perform as good if you ate 4000cals a day from a low fat, high carb plant strong wholefoods diet? Everyone knows that but everyone forgets that unfortunately.

My advice to you would be to eat as much of your fav wholefood carbs as you care for. Cut out the oil, animal products and greasy foods that just add 'weight' to the body.You wont find a sumo wrestler that is on a low fat, high carb vegan diet!! Maybe thats a youtube vid I can do sometime..me spreading my plant strong propoganda to some sumo wrestlers that are laughing me out of the training den..

*Eat over 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day.*Keep your fat & protein intake under 10% of total calories.

*Count your calories SO you get enough and dont starve yourself all the way to KFC or the steak house. If you want to be fit and trim for the rest of your life then you need to exercise and last time I heard, exercise burns up a lot of glycogen! So carb up and count them calories just like you count the litres of petrol in your car so you can go the distance..

*Drink enough water each day so your urine is clear. If its yellow or straw, you need to drink more. Aim for at least 10times a day clear urination and a few times a night. Get a fruit juice bottle and wee into that. Thats what the 'pros' do.

*Eat a low sodium diet. Its ironic that the people that cramp the most are the ones that eat the most sodium in their diet...just get any average jim or jane out on a hot day and they are cramps on wheels wait'n to happen.

Now just watch the body blubber and salt retention just melt away from your high carb, low fat healthy diet that ramps up the metabolism and helps you stay motivated for exercise as your glycogen stores are stocked each day. Nothing kills motivation quicker than dehydration and glucose exhaustion..

Remember the more fat we have, the less hydrated we will be as fat requires way less water than muscle. So if we are over fat, we are dehydrated for sure. Be easy on yourself and have big health plant strong feasts each day. Hungry people are low standards people when it comes to what they will shove in their gob.

Sure everyone knows the person that 'eats whatever' but behind closed doors they are on the edge or breakdown sadly. Look at all the longterm health and fitness freaks out there..they are always healthy diet focused..

What we eat is what we are..eat the best to feel the best and eat more to live more.

Your a big guy and trying to eat weight watchers junk will not work. Big wholefood carbs feeds each meal of your fav choices.

Read books by Dr McDougall for great simple tasty recipie and the medical science behind it. Dr Esselstyn has a book called 'heart attack proof' and his son Rip Esselstyn (Engine 2) also worked with Lance to help get him back to health. The solution is simple, so simple that many are shocked at the answer.

The fat we eat is the fat we wear and the carbs we eat is the glycogen we get to stay fit with..just look at how fat and unfit our carb phobic society is...

I know hundreds of people personally that have tried to cut back on the carbs and just lost all motivation for a longterm fitness lifestyle and just blown out big time. I know guys with ripped abs turn into beer guts and the hottest fit chicks become fat and frumpy. Its sad to see. Carb phobia doesnt work longterm but high carb, low fat plant strong eating habits do..

I walk my talk, I stay trim and fit all year round with no stimulants, appetite suppresants, crash diets or other techniques that some of my industry peers unfortunately must do cos their dietary choices fail em.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    65kg for 6ft? To me that's underweight.

Allthough I respect everyone's choice of lifestyle and eating habits, I don't have to agree with them. And I don't agree with vegans or vegetarians. I'm a strong believer in the fact that too much or not enough of anything is not good for you and that the key to a healthy lifestyle is diversity and moderation in your diet which includes meat, fish, vegetables, fat, etc... (even the occasional burger...) combined with regular exercise. No need for extremes...

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking time to distill your thoughts and sharing.

What worked for me? After 9 months, I just reached my own fitness goal: waist to hip ratio of 90%. I'm not a fan of using body weight as a definitive metric since it lacks specificity, i.e. you could reach your target weight by starving yourself or add pouds through weight training.

In my case, I wanted to lose belly fat while retaining muscle mass, so wrapping a tape measure around my gut and bum once a month was the only way to confirm progress. And to ensure I didn't lose muscle mass and consumed sufficient calories, I kept an eye on strength training benchmarks, i.e. maximum lift or reps with certain weights.

But I would definitely agree that exercise and counting those calories are essential components of an effective fat loss effort. I also steer clear of flour-based foods--pizza, pasta, bagels, cakes, cookies, etc--since they represent considerable calories with little nutrional value.

Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Well, if you want to use cycling, I strongly suggest riding a singlespeed, mostly for the intensity factor. You are more often out of your comfortable zone. You use your upper body alot more. You need less time to get in better shape. I'm a strong believer in training more intensely for less time.

My opinion only.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Also, what is the purpose of peeing in a bottle? I apologize if that is a stupid question.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    to "durianrider",i apollagize in advance,and i am grateful for you info and effort, but what exactly are the items your eating?
    i read that before but it's always " eat natural food".
    What are you folks buying ? lettuce?carrots?yams?beans?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye680 View Post
    Also, what is the purpose of peeing in a bottle? I apologize if that is a stupid question.
    To check if it's clear!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDESLOW View Post
    to "durianrider",i apollagize in advance,and i am grateful for you info and effort, but what exactly are the items your eating?
    i read that before but it's always " eat natural food".
    What are you folks buying ? lettuce?carrots?yams?beans?
    Want to know also...

mtbr member
    Second the idea of dodging stuff with wheat flour, including all the whole grain stuff. Read 'Wheat Belly' and you'll see why. Weight left me immediately after cutting out bread, pasta etc., and energy went up to the point where I shake my head when I read about sport nutrition plans the prescribe carb loading from that stuff. Before doing anything drastic, I recommend to anyone that they try 10d w/o wheat and see how they feel.
    NSMBA Member

Vegan on the S-Works
    # Peeing in a bottle saves getting up if you don't want too. Empty it in the garden to boost nitrogen content in the soil.

# Im a BIG fan of sweet fruits like ripe bananas, dates, mangoes etc. Steamed rice, corn, whole wheat past, quinoa, aramanth, millet etc are all great too. Eating low fat high carb allows for max blood flow. Look up the effects excess dietary fat has on oxygen transfer to the cells aka lipemia. Eat a fatty meal and notice how your legs feel heavier the next day. Do some experimentation.

# The guy that wrote Wheat Belly is actually overweight himself lol! Im sure he is a nice guy but he has no idea about nutrition and weight loss if he is that round.

# To be a good cyclist you gotta have a low bmi. People drop big coin on bike parts but the best gains are had by eating healthy and training to a proper programme so you avoid burn out and can stay lean and fast for life relative to your own individual potentials. Here is a youtube video showing how light weight cyclists can get.

mtbr member
    @durian Bjarne Riis is pretty slow these days, does that mean he can't coach the team ?
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The human body needs animal protein. Regardless of your political or spiritual orientations, the fact is that your body is meant to consume meat. Vegans/vegetarians always look like 8 year old boys, all skinny and whatnot. Not healthy or attractive at all.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Carbs, protein and fat all play a vital role in nutrition. People should learn about each macronutrient before getting too worked up over nutritional ideologies.

Quote Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
    *Keep your fat & protein intake under 10% of total calories.
    Where and how did you come up with number? Considering it's less than what the CDC and FDA recommend you may have trouble convincing most on here. Each macronutrient plays a vital role -- if you eliminate or severely limit one, you're going to be malnourished.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Drink when you're thirsty not to make your wee a certain colour.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Drink when you're thirsty not to make your wee a certain colour.
    Respectfully, this is quite possibly the worst advice I've seen on mtbr. Where did you get your information??

If you wait until you're thirsty before you drink water, you're already dehydrated to the point that will affect performance. You definitely want to keep your urine light yellow or clear.

mtbr member
    Hey, I know Durian. I watched a bunch of your videos a few months ago. You should join the roadbikereview forum too. Interesting you have negative rep. I'll have to check out why.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    Respectfully, this is quite possibly the worst advice I've seen on mtbr. Where did you get your information??

If you wait until you're thirsty before you drink water, you're already dehydrated to the point that will affect performance. You definitely want to keep your urine light yellow or clear.
    I have to agree, what you quoted it bad info.
    As a infantryman in the Marine Corps I know first hand how serious hidration is to your overall health and performance.

A lot of overweight people would be shocked to notice a boost to fat loss by drinking a lot more water. It gives you energy, fills you up, and helps process the food your eating.

One problem is that when your body is used to getting a lot more water intake on a regular basis you tend to dehydrate faster because your body doesn't retain as much water regularly.

Also as for peeing in a bottle... I go in a white toilet, I can tell what color it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post

While that is an excellent resource it does not address waiting to hydrate until you feel thirsty. I agree with the others that if you wait that long you will be on your way to dehydration.

mtbr member
    The human body needs animal protein. Regardless of your political or spiritual orientations, the fact is that your body is meant to consume meat. Vegans/vegetarians always look like 8 year old boys, all skinny and whatnot. Not healthy or attractive at all.
    I agree with you, but a little caution about the quantity of meat you eat, because it can dramatically increase the calories you have to burn off with workouts.
    The reason vegie people are thinner is they have less to work off since they dont eat the meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Carbs, protein and fat all play a vital role in nutrition. People should learn about each macronutrient before getting too worked up over nutritional ideologies.

Where and how did you come up with number? Considering it's less than what the CDC and FDA recommend you may have trouble convincing most on here. Each macronutrient plays a vital role -- if you eliminate or severely limit one, you're going to be malnourished.
    Well the the OP probably believes the food pyramis is upside down, or something like that.
    I tend to agree with the idea he has, but I think extremes should be avoided.
    Less meat/fat and more vegatables and fruit.
    I didn't say, no meat/fat though. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    great info

mtbr member
    This tread seems confused. Starts out as a Vegan spam type thread and then ?
    -Pee in a bottle?, no thanx, It's really not a problem to get up.
    -Should be getting up 1-2x a night? No, you should be sleeping and if you're not drink less before bed.
    -Have to be low bmi to be a good cyclist? No, some of the fastest, strongest riders i know are not.
    -If being Vegan is you're choice that's cool, there's many benefits, but eating some animal product has some too.
    -Think hydration needs vary lots, some people drink little and are fine and it's what you get used to also. Not to say that people who are fine drinking a little wouldn't be better if they drank more. But it's pretty safe to say that everyone should start hydrating at least an hour before exercise, especially when it's hot, or by the time you're thirsty, you're already playing catch-up.
    -Drinking with meals doesn't help "process food", drink less with meals so enzymes and food don't get diluted, drink more in between meals.
    -Mtbing is fun and that's why you should do it. Sure it's good for you, especially the less active, but if weight loss is your goal, it's much easier and faster to control your diet, than to burn the calories.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    you got it backwards.... think this way instead 90% diet 10% exercise

if you think you feel hungry. your probably thirsty and mis read your pangs.
    Bart Brejcha
    Design-engine.com
    engineer retraining

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    While that is an excellent resource it does not address waiting to hydrate until you feel thirsty. I agree with the others that if you wait that long you will be on your way to dehydration.
    How bout a more in depth analysis by one of the more respected cycling performance gurus, Joe Friel:
    Joe Friel's Blog: Hydration and Exercise, Part 1
    Joe Friel's Blog: Hydration and Exercise, Part 2
    Joe Friel's Blog: Hydration and Exercise, Part 3
    Joe Friel's Blog: Hydration and Exercise, Part 4

Here is an even more scientific analysis in five parts, but part three really talks about drinking when thirsty:
    The Science of Sport: Fluid intake, dehydration, and exercise: Part III

Part one addresses where all the misguided ideas about over-hydrating started with the "sports" drink industry spreading its propaganda to sell more drinks and it is clear from comments in this thread and others on MTBR and runnersworld that the general public completely believes gatorade/powerade/whoever instead of real scientific studies.
    The Science of Sport: Part I: History of fluid intake and a conflict of interest

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast