Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Creatine

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Creatine may also help slow the onset of age-related dementia.
    That might not mean too much to you, but just wait about 30 years....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HighAltitudeNaturals View Post
    ... My definition of "clean" is a diet of primarily fresh organic in-season vegetables, cage free eggs, and minimal meat. Nothing processed and NO fast food...
    That is basically the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate, which is derived from the 'Mediterranean Diet'. This diet is good for the majority of the population. Some individuals may have different conditions or physiologies that would deviate from that, however it will benefit most. Don't need to emphasize organic, as there is no health reason or food quality advantage to favor organic. If you wish to favor organic for personal or ethical reasons, go ahead.

There really is no such thing as an unhealthy food, only an unhealthy diet. There is such a thing as too much of any one food, even a food considered 'healthy'.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    That is basically the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate, which is derived from the 'Mediterranean Diet'. This diet is good for the majority of the population. Some individuals may have different conditions or physiologies that would deviate from that, however it will benefit most. Don't need to emphasize organic, as there is no health reason or food quality advantage to favor organic. If you wish to favor organic for personal or ethical reasons, go ahead.

There really is no such thing as an unhealthy food, only an unhealthy diet. There is such a thing as too much of any one food, even a food considered 'healthy'.
    So pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, and gmos are ok?
    Last edited by theMeat; 04-13-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Try Phelypiracetam. You can buy it on Amazon. LiftMode is the brand I use. It's a legal nootropic that the Russians developed for increased athletic performance. It helps with focus, and increases cold and pain tolerance.

They test Olympic athletes for it, so you know it actually does something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Try Phelypiracetam. You can buy it on Amazon. LiftMode is the brand I use. It's a legal nootropic that the Russians developed for increased athletic performance. It helps with focus, and increases cold and pain tolerance.

They test Olympic athletes for it, so you know it actually does something.
    Phenylpiracetam. It might do something for some people, but it didn't do anything for me. Creatine, on the other hand, did.

It's just that creatine tended to cause a good deal of weight gain from water retention, so I figured that the kidneys might not be all that happy with it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Phenylpiracetam. It might do something for some people, but it didn't do anything for me. Creatine, on the other hand, did.

It's just that creatine tended to cause a good deal of weight gain from water retention, so I figured that the kidneys might not be all that happy with it....
    I never take it with any food on board, and I always stack it with caffeine. Try it on a completely empty stomach.

For me, nootropics don't have an "on/off" effect. It feels like they ramp up slowly and subtly to the point where you just notice that, "hey, something is different." It's not a pronounced thing, but it's there. I think people expect to be high or wired on a lot of nootropics and they write them off as being junk because it's not like NZT-48 from Limitless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I never take it with any food on board, and I always stack it with caffeine. Try it on a completely empty stomach.

For me, nootropics don't have an "on/off" effect. It feels like they ramp up slowly and subtly to the point where you just notice that, "hey, something is different." It's not a pronounced thing, but it's there. I think people expect to be high or wired on a lot of nootropics and they write them off as being junk because it's not like NZT-48 from Limitless.
    Well, you may have never yet had any REAL 'nootropics', because I have, and there is most definitely an 'on' switch, that stays on for a good 8-12 hours. One of the original nootropics, discovered by Albert Hoffman, the 'father of LSD', was another ergot derivative dubbed 'Hydergine'. It actually caused brain cells in aging brains to grow new neurites. When combined with phosphatydyl serine, and DMAE, it could lift my friends' father, a fairly advanced Alzheimers' patient, out of a diapered, jibbering, totally disassociated mental state into a level of lucidity that allowed them to have some serious dialogs and discussions., for hours on end.

Then, inexorably, as the cocktail wore off, he'd slip back into dementia. Not at all unlike "Flowers for Algernon'. But my friend was grateful for those afternoons. He said it was a wonderful gift, a blessing , really, to have his Dad back, even if only for a handful of hours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    I noticed the extremely small sample sizes in the papers you referenced earlier. And only one of the papers used double blind tests.

This of itself does not mean the findings are unreliable, but should be noted when interpreting results. We should look for a meta-analysis.
    Yeah no doubt, they were the only studies I could find that may support some reason for its use in long distance events. I couldn't find anything massive. Evidently the small sample size needs to be considered as do the methods involved. I was clear to say creatine MAY help as the studies indicate a potential but are not larger or all double blind.

I still have not heard back from my source which is frustrating. I may throw them a message and see if they have heard back.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Creatine may also help slow the onset of age-related dementia.
    That might not mean too much to you, but just wait about 30 years....
    That's interesting got the studies for that? I would like to have a read.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=Driftking;11243092
    That's interesting got the studies for that? I would like to have a read.[/QUOTE]

I obviously don't take creatine anymore because I honestly can't remember where I read that, but it is likely on Medscape, an online physician's news service I receive.

On second thought, check the Life Extension Foundations' archives too. It's in either Medscape or the Life Ex. Foundation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The July 2014 issue of the lef.org magazine will have an article on the protective effects of creatine against neurodegenerative conditions. It will contain a full page of footnotes citing studies to support this claim.

All you have to do is find that issue, and you will have access to around a hundred studies, I'd guess from a glance, that support this category of claims.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2