mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Commuting to work

Hi all,

I commute to work everyday (weekday) by mountain bike and have done for the last 2-3 months. According to google maps the ride is 4.3 miles my ride there is fine I usually cover this in 25 minutes. My journey home however is a different story I have 2 major hills to conquer on my way home first one is very steep but is probably a quarter of a mile at most, this hill I cant even get half way before my legs give out, my legs start burning and feel like lead weights, so I end up walking up the hill while other cyclists shoot past me.

The second hill while is definitely not as steep, goes for longer this one is about 1 mile. Im OK starting off but the id say a quarter of a mile in im walking.

the total ride home is probably taking me 50 minutes. I make sure I eat before my ride home granted its usually a chocolate bar but, I do eat. I`m finding as well that I sweat alot and usually by the time I get home I can ring out my T-Shirt. when I get home my legs usually arnt sore or even aching really, but I knew if I get back on the bike and start peddling again they would.

Weekends are usually rest days and I dont do any cycling for those two days.

I guess i`m just after advice as to way I can improve, get quicker, and stop aching as much.

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Suffer through it and love the burn is the easy answer.

Sounds like you just need to get in better shape.

mtbr member
    What do you do for work? If it's quite physical you might need to fuel up a bit more in the afternoon maybe have a banana as well.
    Good breakfast and lunch are important too.

I have a similar commute but the hills are in the morning, work is pretty physically demanding and I am really smashed if I go for a longer (fun/training etc.) ride after work on top of it (commute & work & ride *phew*). Personally I think we need to harden up and ride more