Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    I eat High-Carb low fat Vegan, and do not have to supplement my diet nor do I need to use caffeine to make it through the day. I agree that processed food and nuts and oils are good fats, but the animal sources of fat and protein are the true causes of all the diseases and problems we face today. Check out the China Study, or read some of Neal Barnards books on preventing and reversing heart disease.
    Totally incorrect. The causes of most diseases is in most part inflammation caused the the increase in cortisol production. Why is cortisol production increased? It's increased to balance the body out from glycogen and sugar spikes due to eating sugar(grains, bread, corn, starch, sugar). I eat meat, lots of it and I'm very healthy. I also eats lots of veggies to balance my diet out. I've got some friends that are on a 50% animal/coconut/vegetable fat diet and they can run circles around me. Gone are the days where the food pyramid(now plate) is king. Finally the world is starting to link diseases to grains not animal products. Plus you need to look at the animal products you're consuming. If the cow ate corn, then you'r eating corn. If your eggs were pumped full of hormones you're being pumped full of hormones. Like pesticides? I don't! Eat pesticide free veggies and fruits. Sorry bud but your vegan diet is not healthy, regardless of what few studies out there say they are.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pharmaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye H8 Empty V View Post
    Totally incorrect. The causes of most diseases is in most part inflammation caused the the increase in cortisol production. Why is cortisol production increased? It's increased to balance the body out from glycogen and sugar spikes due to eating sugar(grains, bread, corn, starch, sugar). I eat meat, lots of it and I'm very healthy. I also eats lots of veggies to balance my diet out. I've got some friends that are on a 50% animal/coconut/vegetable fat diet and they can run circles around me. Gone are the days where the food pyramid(now plate) is king. Finally the world is starting to link diseases to grains not animal products. Plus you need to look at the animal products you're consuming. If the cow ate corn, then you'r eating corn. If your eggs were pumped full of hormones you're being pumped full of hormones. Like pesticides? I don't! Eat pesticide free veggies and fruits. Sorry bud but your vegan diet is not healthy, regardless of what few studies out there say they are.
    Using yourself as evidence is flawed, but apart from that, if the cow ate corn, you are eating corn is so vastly opposed to the facts of molecular science it bears no relationship to truth at all. Similarly for hormones and pesticides in a general sense - it is not impossible ( see DDT), but the existence of one example does not prove the general comment.

    Your body is a study in success of taking almost any consumable material and turning it into what the body requires.

    Now if you want to avoid corn versus grass, pesticides, whatever on ethical grounds, then fair enough, but it is the same Belief followed by thought, followed by searching for evidence that gives us the rubbish that is the China Study.

    We seek information that agrees with our opinions as default - the step towards critical thinking is to doubt what you believe always and try and breach that gap and search for evidence and truth

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    - The evidence that statins reduce risk for CVD is unequivocal. They are fantastic drugs that have extended many lives. I should also note however, that their effectiveness is in part due to reasons other than cholesterol lowering.
    I would qualify that statement. Statins have shown the most benefit in those with familial hypercholesterolemia. In people over 70, even those with hypercholesterolemia, there is little evidence that there is benefit. There is most likely a significant role of family history, race, gender and age in these results.

    In addition, remember that statins can reduce mortality due to CVD (and associated diseases) by 15-35%. If your overall risk is 10%, the overall math is more important to society than to you...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  4. #29
    Desert RAT
    Reputation: Joshua_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    245
    I'm glad you seem to know how healthy I am over the internet. This is one of the most communist forums on the internet, because it is illegal on here to have an opinion and disuss topics like adults. I also would add that there are more than just a FEW studies out there on vegan diets. I like how all meat eaters suddenly think that when they come across a vegan they are all suddenly health experts and know everything about nutrition. I believe in my vegan lifestyle. It has changed my life for the better and helped get me to a top level of racing (CAT 1). I train with a couple of local pros and they are not vegans but very close and they will say the same thing, you cannot dominate on a low-carb diet. Can you eat meat and live a fulfilling life?...sure, but choosing a vegan lifestyle really makes a difference for the planet, the animals, and the most important yourself.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    In addition, remember that statins can reduce mortality due to CVD (and associated diseases) by 15-35%. If your overall risk is 10%, the overall math is more important to society than to you...
    What are you getting at here?

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I would qualify that statement. Statins have shown the most benefit in those with familial hypercholesterolemia.
    And diabetics. And People with elevated CRP. And with metabolic syndrome, and with known CVD, or ACS, or for secondary prevention.

    It's true there is less data on how statins effect people who don't need statins.
    But AFCAPS TEXCAPS was a landmark study that did just that. Study participants had average LDL levels and Lovastatin treatment reduced risk of first CVD event by 37%

    Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Preven... [Am J Cardiol. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    And diabetics. And People with elevated CRP. And with metabolic syndrome, and with known CVD, or ACS, or for secondary prevention.

    It's true there is less data on how statins effect people who don't need statins.
    But AFCAPS TEXCAPS was a landmark study that did just that. Study participants had average LDL levels and Lovastatin treatment reduced risk of first CVD event by 37%

    Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Preven... [Am J Cardiol. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI
    The key thing is that the overall risk (and this is a range) is a risk reduction in mortality or CVD related death by 37% (in this study). That is a risk reduction. If you are at a 10% risk of dying in the next 10 years from a CVD related issue, your risk goes down to ~6% in the next 10 years. How that benefits you, is hard to say. Those are studies you can't really do.

    The studies showing the benefits of statins (and aspirin for that matter), require 10s of thousands of people because the difference in mortality is small and the high numbers of people are required to sufficiently power the study.

    Statins have benefit, but they also have drawbacks. We don't know who truly will benefit from treatment. Cholesterol is a actually a terrible biomarker of mortality via CVD. Currently, we treat people that don't need to be treated to find the few that require treatment. By doing so, there is a benefit to the overall population (much like vaccination). Make sense?

    And no, I am not arguing for anyone to stop taking statins! As I said, we have no idea who will truly benefit and who will not!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    22
    How about we eliminate the use of drugs by cleaning out our diet?

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Using yourself as evidence is flawed, but apart from that, if the cow ate corn, you are eating corn is so vastly opposed to the facts of molecular science it bears no relationship to truth at all. Similarly for hormones and pesticides in a general sense - it is not impossible ( see DDT), but the existence of one example does not prove the general comment.

    Your body is a study in success of taking almost any consumable material and turning it into what the body requires.

    Now if you want to avoid corn versus grass, pesticides, whatever on ethical grounds, then fair enough, but it is the same Belief followed by thought, followed by searching for evidence that gives us the rubbish that is the China Study.
    I think I may have oversimplified things. If the cow consumed corn(sugar) than the composition of the muscles and fat has changed and not for the better. Same goes with antibiotics and pesticides. If we inject those unnatural changes than out composition changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    We seek information that agrees with our opinions as default - the step towards critical thinking is to doubt what you believe always and try and breach that gap and search for evidence and truth
    This is an inspiring statement, thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Unvailing the King of Fat Bike Design Puzzle
    By Sand Rat in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM
  2. Would taking cholesterol meds help vo2
    By LOUVILLE FAT KID in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM
  3. Sultan puzzle
    By Coasting in forum Turner
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 04:03 PM
  5. Manitou Dorado brake mount puzzle!
    By nowthen in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •