mtbr member

can you drink too much water during a ride?

So my wife, a friend, and I have been riding. The other day we did a 20 mile ride. not a lot of climbing. pretty easy. It was not hot at all, maybe mid 70s. I drank under a litre of water, my friend about the same. my wife killed her 3 litre water pack and both water bottles. I said you drink too much water. she said thats what she needed to drink. wasnt sick or anything. Is it a person to person thing? I am used to physical activity. I work outside in comercial landscape in Phoenix. My wife works in an office. Am i not drinking enough or is she drinking too much?
    I used to see a lot of UFO's. However I just realized I'm simply bad at identifying things.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Did she vomit it back up? Did she hear a sloshing sound? Did she pass out from hyponatremia?
    If no, then don't worry about it. She probably needed more than you.

mtbr member
    No she had no issues. Felt fine. Just to me seems like a lot of water

Stand-up philosopher
    I read somewhere a while back that you are just more efficient at using water when you're in better shape. I'm just a guy though and have no scientific data.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    Yes, you can drink too much water and is very detrimental and can even cause death. It is just as bad as dehydration. There are several articles on Hyponatremia or overhydration that describes what happens. I have experienced it a few times. You feel thirsty but you are bloated and there is tons of water sloshing in your stomach. You also feel just beat down or feel like you are bonking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    I read somewhere a while back that you are just more efficient at using water when you're in better shape. I'm just a guy though and have no scientific data.

I'll accept that lol

MTB B'dos
    Most definitely you can drink too much water, as said it's called hyponatremia and what is does is dilute your electrolyte/mineral stores and in severe cases, as said can cause death. You mention the temps and distance, but not how long the ride was and that's an important thing, especially for someone who does spend their days outside working in the heat, but instead in an AC office.

For us down here, we never get below 75F/24C on a day unless it's raining and seriously overcast, so I will normally tell people who aren't accustomed to this heat that you want to be drinking about 20-24oz of water an hour. Now to me, that temp is downright cool, maybe even chily, so on days like that, I will probably drink half the water I normally would on as compared to our more regular 86F/30C > heat with heat index regularly over 104F/40C. Easiest way to know if you're properly hydrated is to keep an eye on how much or if you P, if you're out on a ride and you don't need to P at all and it's hot, then most likely you're slightly dehydrated or maybe just good, if you P at least once, then you're good, if you have to stop to P several times an hour, yeah you're over hydrated or have a serious bladder issue, either way, not good.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    the ride was about 2 hours long. didnt have to go until we got back to the trail head. I have a hard time drinking water when its cool out like 85 or less. but come summer working one day I think I drank 3 gallons of water in 8 hours. but it was 118 that day. I also put electrolite tabs in my water in the summer which helps alot.
    I used to see a lot of UFO's. However I just realized I'm simply bad at identifying things.

mtbr member
    I always drink more when I'm not so fit but ~6 bottles of water on a 2 hour ride does seem a little excessive at those temps. Maybe that 3 liter bladder wasn't full? Anyway she felt fine so it doesn't seem like anything to worry about.
    I brake for stinkbugs

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, even unfit, that's a crap load of water to drink in just 2 hours, like double what I'd consider normal or on the heavier side of intake, even for our tropical temps. If she wasn't stopping every 10 minutes for a bathroom break, then maybe she was somewhat dehydrated to begin with and the outdoor exercise really made her body try to fix itself. Did the bottles only have in water or was there drink mix, electrolyte tabs etc in there?

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    the ride was about 2 hours long. didnt have to go until we got back to the trail head. I have a hard time drinking water when its cool out like 85 or less. but come summer working one day I think I drank 3 gallons of water in 8 hours. but it was 118 that day. I also put electrolite tabs in my water in the summer which helps alot.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Stand-up philosopher
    I drank a complete 2 liter bladder of water in my second year of riding. It was around a 2 hour ride and 110 degrees. You have to drink a lot more than 3 liters of water to have problems. Commercials have convinced amateur athletes that they need electrolytes, it's got what plants crave. In reality, everything I've ever read from reputable sources is that most Americans get a shit ton of salt in their diets anyway and usually aren't at risk.

Ymmv

I'm not a doctor, but my username does start with dr.

--
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Yes, you can drink too much water and is very detrimental and can even cause death.
    But just avoid staying too long at the bottom of the pool and you're good.

I drink a lot of water. On a long ride three-liters or more. On the same ride my son only drinks about 500ml.

mtbr member
    she puts electrolyte tabs in her bottles. but only water in the pack. she does drink alot of water on a ride, but that day she must have been dehydrated prior to the ride. we just finished a 3 hour ride and she drank about 2 litres and bottle with mix in it. but it was much colder, around 48-50

mtbr member
    Weigh yourself before and after riding. Any difference is water. If you or your wife weigh more after riding than before, you drank more than you sweated out, and vice versa.

Moderate temps, and I assume low humidity since it's Phoenix, I find I sweat a lot more than I realize and after a 2 hour ride will be a pound or 2 lighter than I started.
    That's not a concrete, if you're not exactly the same weight as you started you're drinking too much or too little, rule. Just some info. If your wife drank 4 liters of water and came home 8# heavier than she started, yeah probably too much. If you're 10# lighter than you started, you probably could stand to drink more. If it's <2-3# either way, and you feel ok after, it's probably fine.

mtbr member
    I actually usually weigh myself before and after for that reason. on that ride I was down about 4lbs.