Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    banned
    Apr 2009
    Congrats!!

enjoy the holiday (and cheat a little--it should rev. your metabolism up a bit!!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    thanks 247!.

194 lbs today. finally below 195. I can now fit into 33 waist jeans and my resting pulse was recorded at a lifetime low of 56 bpm...
    Nice work on your weight loss and increased fitness! My story is similar to yours. June 2013 I jumped on a scale and couldn’t believe my eyes. I weighed 235 lbs! (my height is 6’2”) I was riding two days a week but still managed to get that heavy. I immediately did some research and changed my diet. I was concerned with cutting calories and the effect it would have on my cycling.

Basically I just cut out most of the crap food, ate small meals and counted my calories. The result was my energy level INCREASED and my metabolism when into overdrive. I dropped 50 lbs in 6 months and have kept it off for over a year and I am faster than ever.

The thing is I am always eating! But I eat mostly fruit, vegetables, lean meats (sparingly), eggs, Greek yogurt and so on….. Very little bread, rice, potatoes or anything in a box. I am never hungry or starve myself (that just sucks). On the days I ride I increase my calories and eat some processed foods (Cliff bars etc..)

Hope this helps........

Good luck and keep cranking!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    50lbs is awesome. I am working on weight loss myself, will sacrifice gains to remove the fat reserves. Then refocus with the lighter nimble me.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone... just keeping a record and letting y'all know where i am at.

just weighed myself at 190lbs about 5 min ago... getting stronger.. I actually felt good at the end of this ride...

Bike Ride Profile | Getting Stronger, 5300 feet felt good near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    by the way, I had my body fat percentage determined here.
    Bod Pod Scottsdale AZ - Body Fat Testing Phoenix, Arizona

came up 24%, so I have 50 pounds of fat carrying around. I can afford to probably loose about 1/2 of that which would put me at about 180 lbs. I would really have to get used to starvation mode to get that low... I think...
    starvation mode will only hurt your goals, let me put it this way a 120lb blonde girl should be eating more than 1200cals a day. you are too worried about weight and body fat. focus on performance and nutrition, buy a wall mirror and throw away the scale. lean and mean not skinny and weak

mtbr member
    Body fat scan done today...

20% body fat. I lost 11 lbs of fat and gained 4 lbs of muscle in the past year.. good news... But still a ways to go...

unfortunately, I am at 197lbs now.. summers in AZ are hard... but Ill be below 195 soon, no problem...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    That is awesome it does go to show you to not go only by that dreaded scale number a loss of 11 pounds of fat is amazing, now it is to make what you are doing a habit so you don't have to think about it, you just enjoy healthy foods and go crazy when you can't get out for a ride.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    This has a a lot of good info in it. Some of which I found out the hard way. When I started riding again I was near 300lbs and cut back calorie intake a lot and rode more. I was tired all the time and although I lost weight I wasn't riding well and didn't feel stronger. Eating a more balanced diet I feel better and ride better. I also noticed my post ride recovery is much shorter since changing my diet. It used to be long Sunday ride I was wiped after now I come home and after a a short break I'm ready to go again.

I've kinda stopped losing weight though now in the low 240lbs area. I think I need to drop some of the carb intake down a little. Thing like rice, potatoes and breads have been hard to give up much of.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I've kinda stopped losing weight though now in the low 240lbs area. I think I need to drop some of the carb intake down a little. Thing like rice, potatoes and breads have been hard to give up much of.
    Sounds like you know what you want to try next but let me throw out some ideas you may find helpful.
    -replace simple carbs with more complex ones. So whole wheat instead of white, sweet potato instead of regular, etc. What's amazing is that at first you might not like it but given enough time (few weeks, few months) it usually becomes what you prefer.
    -Fast for a day every month or so as sort of a reset for your diet. This can be huge for some for helping with diet plateaus, and when making improvements to diet.
    -do some exercise when you wake, before you eat, so you start cutting stores right away. Not the 20-30 minutes into it as you would at other times when you're more properly fuel. More exercise or more intense exercise could/would be more effective, but even a fast paced 20 minute walk will help. Cup o Joe and go.
    -Take a week off. It may set you back a few pounds but for most helps keep long term progress going better.
    -adding some longer exercise sessions can cut more calories, but so can shorter more intense ones because you're burning more calories while resting/recouping. Mix it up.
    -it only takes a few moments to eat what it could take hours to exercise off and it's perfectly normal to see a diet plateau every few months or so. That's why it's good to leave yourself wiggle room to make more improvements when it does. Ride each wave of progress for what it's worth. Then step it up with diet and/or output, and ride another.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

Clueless Bastard
    Body fat scan done today...

20% body fat. I lost 11 lbs of fat and gained 4 lbs of muscle in the past year.. good news... But still a ways to go...

unfortunately, I am at 197lbs now.. summers in AZ are hard... but Ill be below 195 soon, no problem...
    Nice work. Couple things to remember in the weight loss space. One, it's not linear. You'll plateau, and your weight will remain stubbornly at the same area, the BAM, and you'll see 5 lbs suddenly fly (and stay) off.

Second, as you become more and more fit, the weight will take MORE effort. The effort is exercise, tracking, and details. If it's not already happened, you may run into situations where you start to gain weight back. It will be a combo of muscle AND fat.

Couple of suggestions, too. One with your weight loss, keep a log of what you eat (what it is, how much, and total calories) and what you do, (type, duration, and intensity) in the exercise space. It will help you see patterns when you run into road blocks or can't figure out what's going on.

I've suggested a zillion times in other threads, buy a Tanita (they are the best on the market) brand body fat scale. Since you're doing tests (I'm assuming it's the tanking method) you can easily determine the delta between the two. For example, mine is about 3% off, so when I get in the tank I know what it REALLY will be vs. the body fat scale. I get on the scale every 2-3 days just to keep me honest.

Before a race (at whatever level) I have always done (performed and felt) better if I rode my 1/2 race duration, with one LT effort. At a minimum, just do an easy ride for an hour or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Sounds like you know what you want to try next but let me throw out some ideas you may find helpful.
    -replace simple carbs with more complex ones. So whole wheat instead of white, sweet potato instead of regular, etc. What's amazing is that at first you might not like it but given enough time (few weeks, few months) it usually becomes what you prefer.
    -Fast for a day every month or so as sort of a reset for your diet. This can be huge for some for helping with diet plateaus, and when making improvements to diet.
    -do some exercise when you wake, before you eat, so you start cutting stores right away. Not the 20-30 minutes into it as you would at other times when you're more properly fuel. More exercise or more intense exercise could/would be more effective, but even a fast paced 20 minute walk will help. Cup o Joe and go.
    -Take a week off. It may set you back a few pounds but for most helps keep long term progress going better.
    -adding some longer exercise sessions can cut more calories, but so can shorter more intense ones because you're burning more calories while resting/recouping. Mix it up.
    -it only takes a few moments to eat what it could take hours to exercise off and it's perfectly normal to see a diet plateau every few months or so. That's why it's good to leave yourself wiggle room to make more improvements when it does. Ride each wave of progress for what it's worth. Then step it up with diet and/or output, and ride another.

Thanks for the advise I'd really like to get to 200lbs again but since losing the initial 50lbs progress is unbelievably slow. I'm getting stronger and can ride better but losing the fat content has been hard.

I have been trying to swap in complex carbs and leaner proteins. I ditched white rice for brown, white bread for bakery fresh wheat, beef for fish ect. I cut everything with high fructose corn syrup completely from my diet which means either organic or I just don't eat it.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Switching potatoes and rice is a overly simplistic solution.

The white russet potato has a high glycemic index -- 117 or so. This means it raises blood sugar faster than pure glucose. Red potatoes, OTOH, have a GI in the 80's. Also, when you cook a potato, then refrigeratel it and reheat it the GI lowers even more (the starch is physically changed, even though chemically it is the same). So a cooled and reheated baked red potato can have a GI in the 50's, where a freshly baked sweet potato could still be in the 80's Different varieties of regular potatoes have different properties depending on how cooked, just like sweet potatoes... gets a little complicated... I am not saying you should ignore the advice about reg potatoes versus sweet, just that it is not so-cut and-dried. Sweet potatoes are much more nutrient dense, however there is not a lot of real difference in starch content and effect on the body.

Lay off the fast food french fries. They are almost always made from white russet potatoes, then fried in oil and salted. So there is nothing healthy about them. I read a tongue in cheek analysis of the typical fast food french fry that stating they are the nutritional equivalent of pouring vegetable oil into a sugar bowl, adding salt, then stir, and eat. That comparison is a bit of hyperbole, but it gets the point across. Too bad they taste so good.

They are all starches, and starch is just a long string of aligned glucose molecules bound together like a chain. When eaten, starches start breaking apart into the individual glucose molecules immediately, while still in your mouth. The enzyme amylase is in your saliva, and amylase breaks the bonds. On a side note -- cellulose is the same. A long chain of glucose, except every other glucose molecule is 'flipped over'. This changes the bonding angle at the point of attachment, and amylase cannot break it. Breaking this bond requires another enzyme that humans do not have. Many other animals do, which is why cattle, horses, deer, etc can eat grass and digest it, where people cannot.

Brown rice still has the outer layer (why it is brown). There is more nutrition in that layer. Also a bit more oil, so it does not store as long as white rice. Not really a problem for most people, as you eat it before the oil starts going rancid. More of a problem in Asia, where a rural family of subsistence farmers will store a years supply. Brown rice may go bad at the end. White polished rice has the outer layer removed, so it stores a lot longer. Also, any heavy metals or contaminants in the soil tend to be more concentrated in the brown layer, and less in the white. So brown rice may have more contaminants, although the level will still be way below any threshold of concern.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    thx everyone for the great insight... and all stories from others always welcome...

all I can do is get stronger... it's been a long journey so far... but my lifestyle needs to remain consistent as you all say..

next race is September.. fire on the rim... I hope I can improve enough to place well...
    Below Par on the Gnar

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5