Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Breakfast B4 riding

HI,

Yesterday evening I took a 15 mile ride on my local bike trail. I was very exited since it has been a week since my last ride. My ride went great, so I decided to add another 15 miles the next day. It had to be in AM since the local weather future cast showed rain at noon.

So,today I woke up around 6 am, had no breakfast (and I always have breakfast be for I ride) but I had a meal bar of 10g protein and 5g fiber.

I always take with me 2x32oz. bottles of water and gaterade mix. After first few miles I lowered my seat about 1/2 an inch because I'm still trying to set it to the right position. After another few miles I started getting tired, it was weird since I ride this trail a lot and never got tired at this point of my ride. Humidity was at 78% so I made sure I drink my mix.

Well, after six miles of riding I had to turn around I was really tired. I had 8 hours of sleep the night before, I was hydrated so it has to be BREAKFAST !!!!!! or NOT ?!

What do you think ????

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm old(er) and still trying to get back into shape, so it takes me a couple days to recover from a longer ride.

Could very well be not enough breakfast. You hadn't REALLY fueled up in 8+ hours. Kinda hard to say when it only happened once...nothing to compare to.

mtbr member

Re: Breakfast B4 riding

I usually do a cup of coffee and a pbj for breakfast before a ride. If I know it's going to be a long ride, I might double up on the pbj or take an extra snack with me.

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thomas bread co right now has out Apple Pie flavored Bagels and English Muffins. The last few rides I have been on I had one of those with some butter and cinnamon, felt great the whole ride. Normally though I try to have something a bit higher on the carb side before a long ride and I normally feel fine.

Magically Delicious
    I frequently will blender a banana, Greek yogurt, and whatever fruit I have available with some almond coconut milk. For a little longer ride I double up on the yogurt.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have to keep it light, a banana, yogurt, and maybe something small in the way of grains. I can't eat something hearty or greasy (like an egg/cheese/bagel thing) or I'm hurting.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Bowl of Oatmeal, Bannana, Eggs and Bacon and a cup of coffee, will get me through a good 17 mile day, midway through ride Ill eat some Honey stingers. I wear a camel pak with water and my bottle has some powerade if I need a change of pace.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2015 Motobecane Boris X9

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Oatmeal, (or a whole grain cold cereal), milk, OJ, and fruit works for me.
    So many trails... so little time...

makin' riders fast
    Feb 2014
    You need protein, carbs and fat. Organic if possible.
    Try two eggs, and some carbs, like:
    - granola, milk
    - oat meal w/honey and nuts
    - toast with butter and jelly or honey or nut butter instead of butter
    - left overs

Do this 1.5-2 hrs before you ride if possible. Then 30 mins before your ride, do a 20gram carb snack or energy drink. Then after 45 mins of riding, do a gel, drink or energy bar. After that, every 15-30 mins you need about 20-30 grams of a carb product (either real food or bars- I suggest mixing them so your stomach won't get jacked).

mtbr member

My strategy is to not eat anything that is going to taste bad coming back up as either burps or worse. One day, I ate Nashville style hot chicken for lunch and then did a ride after work. Cayenne pepper makes for some ugly burps.

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    2nd that, don't go to an Indian buffet before riding....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    its like doing legs one day and back the next. you did legs two days in a row. maybe not a big deal if you do it alot but i think you needed more recovery time and better fuel.

mtbr member
    All my AM rises are on empty stomach.
    I rarely eat before 11am anyway, but I do intermittent fasting daily (do not eat before 10am/11am and after 6pm + have been paleo for almost 3 years)
    I feel good the whole 4hr ride 6-11 without food.
    For emergency or longer rides I pack some fruit, hard boiled eggs, nuts...)
    I always make sure I am well hydrated prior my ride. Start drinking well a day before a long ride.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mapex101 View Post
    2nd that, don't go to an Indian buffet before riding....
    I guess you also don't want to get the squirts and soak through your chamois...

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I typically do 9 mile "sprints" at 6am before work each morning. I then have breakfast after showering/getting ready for work, usually an egg & whole wheat English muffin.

I've recently switched from doing about 20 mile rides w/ hills etc to doing a 9 mile stretch and going harder the whole ride.

Anyways, it's been pretty crappy weather in New England the last few days so I've been neglecting my riding. So Sunday I went for the 20 mile ride that I hadn't done in a while. Monday morning I did my usual 9 mile sprint and was tired. More so because my body was recovering from the previous day's ride that I wasn't used to.

Just adding my 2 cents that it might just be your body recovering from your previous days ride, and not the lack of breakfast. I ride every morning before eating and do just fine

...of course I may have more stored fat to burn off than you so it could be an apples to oranges comparison.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I use to have a juices before ridding and have breakfast after 30 min rest after ridding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Old fashioned Oatmeal. Add some walnuts, raisins, sliced almonds, dates, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, honey, and some raw sugar. You get your quick carbs, complex carbs, and some fats. And some powerful coffee.

mtbr member
    I've tried oatmeal, but it just doesn't do it for me. A couple of eggs with toast and peanut butter a couple of hours before I ride works best. I'll eat a protein bar on my way to the trail. Hydration is important, so be careful about the drinking the night before.

mtbr member
    Rode from 9.30am until 11.30am today... had Weetbix + Greek style yogurt + milk @ 7.15am... energy was fine (although I prefer riding in the afternoon/earl evening)... can't take the machine out for a spin w/o fuel in the tank!
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

addicted to chunk
    Body needs fuel to perform!
    If I don't eat breakfast within an hour of waking up, I'm grumpy.... Def would not ride without eating decent...
    Riding.....

Gnarly
    I like a piece of fruit with steel-cut oatmeal, or toast with almond butter (I'm vegetarian/vegan)I keep it consistent and simple (it's what works for me

I don't change my breakfast much whether I'm riding after breakfast or doing a morning Crossfit workout or just going to work.

Just as an aside not all "healthy" labelled food is healthy...I've gotten better at reading labels and doing my research before buying
    Attached is a good article about a new "healthy" product. It turns out that it's are just as unhealthy as the original version....

Breakfast B4 riding-b0rmu4miyaampbw.jpg

Feeling Its Oats, Cheerios to Add ?Ancient Grains? - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like to do short rides (MTB:20 miles or less, Road 40 miles or less) on an empty stomach in the AM. Especially if intensity is involved and I don't have 2 hours or so to let food digest. I use a sports drink sometimes. I eat a light breakfast afterwards. Normally 2 eggs and a small glass of orange juice.

Breakfast before an all day ride is completely different. Normally about 4 eggs, and a big ass bowl of oatmeal with butter, walnuts, and brown sugar. Also I normally have big glass of orange juice and a cup of green tea. If I eat like this I rarely eat anything for about the first 2.5 to 3 hours of my ride.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Maybe more important is what you eat for dinner the night before a big ride.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2015 Motobecane Boris X9

It's working!
    If I ride two days in a row (ride hard not just a pleasure cruise) I am bagged the second day. I have tried eating carbs before the second ride and protein another time. Didn't matter what I ate, I was slow and tired. So now I have given up two days in a row (for months now) and ride my butt off every second to third day. I eat fruit before I leave and eggs on my return. HUGE difference in both my progress and my quality of ride. I suggest you try this and I am willing to bet your recovery is the issue and not what you ate pre ride. Now I am 44 so my recovery may take a bit more than yours based on age (not sure how old you are) but have a days rest and see.

mtbr member
    Ride 1 evening, ride 2 morning... Recovery time is issue here, not food. If I'm doing hard out events back to back to back, I sleep in my skins. They help with recovery ^^

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast