Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "Best" Energy Bar

9K views 53 replies 43 participants last post by  bigideas 
#1 ·
So what are you endurance and racer types eating for energy bars? I want to know which ones give the best, sustainable energy. What kind of macro balance are you looking for?

#35 ·
Any of the Hammer bars. They each contain different levels of protein, etc. so I use them based on the type of ride/race I'm doing. I've found great benefits with them and they actually taste good, something I personally can't say for Cliffbars.

#36 ·
Blueberry, white chocolate macadamia nut, and chunky pb Clif bars have traditionally been my favorite. However, I tried a vanilla crisp powerbar today and I really liked it. I'll probably alternate between the set of those so I don't get burned out on a specific flavor.

#46 ·
A buddy made these for our ride last weekend and they're great. Easy on the stomach and definitely provided good sustained energy for hard efforts. Just another alternative/substitution to energy bars and gels.

#44 ·
Everybody is a little different. Most of the food I've ever eaten before or during a ride has sat well with my stomach. In other words it doesn't make me feel sick. Anything with a decent amount of carbs works well for me. The key word in that last sentence is "me". What works for me may not work as well for you. I hate the original PowerBars because to me they just aren't as palatble as some other products. What I use the most is CliffBars. They taste good and I can get them for a good price. The best thing I can do on a sustained ride is stay hydrated and not wait until I feel hungry to consume energy foods. Those are the two most important things for me. You should just experiment.

As far as protein building muscle I really don't know how well it works for me. What I do know is that as far as recovery goes I can tell if haven't consumed some form of protein after a hard ride the next day. My muscles seem to just not want to work as well.

#45 ·
I pack dried fruits. Dates, figs, craisins mixed with semi sweet chocolate chips and shelled pistachios seem to work pretty good and sometimes a banana if I have room. The salty pistachios balance out the sweet from the fruits and you probably need the salt at that point anyhow. Not going to give you long term energy but you can space things out for a quick clean burn and avoid the bonk.

#49 ·
I buy clif bars if I'm purchasing something.

Most times I smear banana and organic peanut butter on a whole grain tortilla and wrap it up, stick it in a sammich bag. All the energy you need all right there, and cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.