Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The "Best" Energy Bar

9K views 53 replies 43 participants last post by  bigideas 
#1 ·
So what are you endurance and racer types eating for energy bars? I want to know which ones give the best, sustainable energy. What kind of macro balance are you looking for?

#14 ·
I bounced this off a good friend of mine

I consider him an expert at nutrition and fitness. John Stone of John Stone Fitness - Fat Loss, Muscle Building, Body Transformation and Inspiration
Here is what he had to say:
Seems the quote from Wiki was missing something, it basically contradicts itself.
"The effects of whey protein supplementation on muscle growth in response to resistance training are debatable. One study demonstrated some increase in lean body mass and strength in men supplementing whey protein vs. no supplementation[14] , while another study found greater increases in strength in a group supplementing whey compared to another group supplementing casein, which could be evidence of whey protein's superior amino acid profile [15] . However, other research exists that show little to no benefit of whey protein supplementation. The authors of one study concluded that "young adults who supplement with protein during a structured resistance training program experience minimal beneficial effects in lean tissue mass and strength,"[16], although it did not control for other sources of protein in the participant's diets. Another study of elderly men found supplementation with whey protein before and after exercise not to have any significant effect on skeletal muscle hypertrophy compared to placebo.[17] The timing of protein supplement ingestion may not have any significant effects on strength, power, or body-composition.[18]"

The wiki article cites just two studies, and they contradict each other.

Look, protein is required to build muscle--that is a fact. Protein powders are just one of many ways to add protein intake immediately following training (or as a convenience at other times of the day). Protein powders are not magic; one could build muscle without ever using a protein powder.

#10 ·
I read this on Wikipedia:

Benefits for muscle building

Research indicates that the use of supplementary whey or soy protein combined with resistance training offers minimal benefit over no protein supplementation. The authors of this research concluded that "young adults who supplement with protein during a structured resistance training program experience minimal beneficial effects in lean tissue mass and strength."[14] Another study of elderly men found supplementation with whey protein before and after exercise not to have any significant effect on skeletal muscle hypertrophy compared to placebo.[15] The timing of protein supplement ingestion may not have any significant effects on strength, power, or body-composition.[16]

#12 ·
Yeah I was just looking for more insight as I am confused.

I see whey and soy protein as good supplements for animal protein for people who are vegetarians but I haven't seen them as good supplements for increasing muscle development.

BTW, I made my own energy bars last weekend using granola,cranberries,almonds,honey and peanut butter and chilled them to harden. They turned out great and I look forward to expermenting more. I'm looking to add supplements which is what got me wondering about these protein additives and how they aide muscle development.

#13 ·
Homemade Energy Bars

Vegan Superfood Energy Bars

Dont let the URL or vegan recipes scare you, since I doubt you're wanting any meat in your energy bars.

Both of these are relatively easy recipes to make and work really well. The first recipe seemed like a better recovery bar or it just took a while to digest in my system, but the 2nd recipe makes me feel like superman.

These bars also feature hemp protein so no argument on soy vs whey protein.

#21 ·
Not tested a huge range out but I did notice a difference after having a Torq bar midway through a ride. Helped a lot. The flavours are really nice too with a good texture.

But I can''t say if they're better than others, think I've only had a High5 bar before but didn't notice a difference after eating that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.