Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Bass Ackwards, please FATTEN ME UP!

Not really finding the info I need anywhere, so lets see what y'all have to say about it.

The issue is I am a rail, 6'3" 140lbs and I struggle to stay at a healthy weight. In addition I have no stamina, nor body fat reserves, I quickly gas out and start burning muscle. So what are your favorite "power foods"? What packs the absolute best most fuel per bite, yet also is palatable?

I have to do something here, and every supposed nutritionist I speak with puts me on some stupid cleansing diet that sends me to the hospital. So fatten me up, but in a healthy way. ( I can't eat 6 cheesecakes a day)

mtbr member

Coming from the opposite end of the spectrum all I can suggest is to eat what I have to stay away from and that is carbs. Carbo load
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Go get yourself some whey protein for during the day, and casein protein for at night before bed. Have a whey drink in between meals and definitely after a workout. Have casein and/or cottage cheese before bed. Eat at a 4 to 1 ratio carbs protein. Get some big bowls and big spoons and just eat more and more often.
    As far as exercise, do whole body moves like dead lifts and squats.
    Check out Lee Hayward's Total Fitness Bodybuilding Blog , a fellow hardgainer, for some great free info.
    Round and round we go

AZ
    banned
    Start with a thorough medical check up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    if you want to fatten up eat DONUTS lots of carbs fat and sugar.

mtbr member

Avocados, super food and lots of good fat
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Bass Ackwards, please FATTEN ME UP!

See a reputable nutritionist/doctor.

Shoveling tons of junk down your throat probably isn't the answer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A hearty Peanut Butter and Jelly is a good way. You get the omega 3's of peanut butter, protein and quite a few calories..Combine it with good whole grain bread (watch for refined sugars) and that is a healthy, hearty additional amount of calories.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    every supposed nutritionist I speak with
    You need to speak with a medical professional - dietitian with a certification in sports nutrition.

Try here to start.

A nutritionist is not necessarily a person with medical training. A nutritionist is a person holding themselves out as having nutrition knowledge.

A registered dietitian is a medical professional with at least a bachelor degree, clinical internships, professional testing, and continuing education. Many states also have licensing requirements for dietitians.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Go get yourself some whey protein for during the day, and casein protein for at night before bed. Have a whey drink in between meals and definitely after a workout. Have casein and/or cottage cheese before bed. Eat at a 4 to 1 ratio carbs protein. Get some big bowls and big spoons and just eat more and more often.
    As far as exercise, do whole body moves like dead lifts and squats.
    Check out Lee Hayward's Total Fitness Bodybuilding Blog , a fellow hardgainer, for some great free info.
    Excellent advice, good basis for starting a gain program.

Why in the holy hell any nutritionist would tell you to start with a cleanse is beyond me. You are not a person that needs to cleanse, I imagine you do that just fine on your own if you're not building much size (ie. you poop a lot). As others have said, try to find someone that has a degree in sports nutrition, they will be most helpful

mtbr member
    Thanx Ryan. I too would rather listen to someone or in this case the many who have found success on a given topic, IDK, call me crazy.
    As far as a cleanse the logic is that if your intestines are dirty you're not getting the value of the food you eat but instead lots just passes throu you. I agree that I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking to gain and in the short term you will loose, but in the long term it may help. Not to be gross but the diameter, consistency, and frequency of your poop is a direct and precise way of telling whether a cleanse may benefit, and for most just upping your roughage and/or the timing of it will do the trick.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I eat a lot of yogurt to try to keep my bacteria at a level where it needs to stay for proper break down of food. I am of the endomorph body type. I never have trouble gaining weight, but sadly, it is usually of the fat type. Last winter I was doing a body builder routine, including diet, and work out. I went too far too fast and destroyed some tendons, and had to stop. I'm healed now, and likely may start working on it a little less excitement.

mtbr member
    Yup, bacteria is needed for breakdown and a good cleanse will wipe out most so it's a good idea to replace when a cleanse is completed. But most of the foods nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine, so even if food's properly broken down, if your intestines are dirty, for lack of a better word, you have digested food but haven't absorbed as many nutrients. Hence the cleanse recommendation for weight gain.
    Round and round we go

One Cog Short

I'm 6'5" and ~170 lbs... So I can relate...although I am at a healthier weight. To maintain my weight, I eat a number of things:

1) Lots of whole grain bread with almond butter
    2) lots of Avacados
    3) lots of rice/quinoa/similar grains
    4) whole milk with most meals
    5) regular pints of craft beer.

I need to put on some more muscle (~5-10 lbs), which I will concentrate on over the winter. I will probably pick up my meat/egg consumption during that period.

Laramie, Wyoming
    We have no information that will be helpful. What do you eat currently? You also haven't said anything about what you do during the day and what types of exercise you engage in.

(Anyone suggesting casein protein has no idea of the dangers associated with that protein.)

Trail Ninja
    Make all your meals (hopefully you have 3 full balanced meals or the equivalent split into 4+ smaller meals), into multiple course meals.

If you don't have time for such, just take your regular meal and plop it all into a soup container with whatever variety of hot soup you may prefer (or vice versa, plopping hot soup onto your meal).

Don't eat a whole lot of 1 type of food. Mix it up with a nice balance with a lot of nutrients. I like to have pickled veggies on hand to act as "condiments" or "seasoning", or something canned like sardines. If you tend to eat a lot of bread, pasta, or rice, without much of anything else, your body might just process what it can use from it and send all the excess out the poop chute.

I had this problem coming off of the "college diet". I've since kept a nice pantry full of stuff to create balanced meals, and kept a few favorites stocked in the fridge like fresh tomatoes. I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to food, so I shop the canned food aisle a lot. I think how I eat now is similar to how I ate when I visited the chow hall while I was in the military, with 1 main dish, 3 sides, a soup, and a 2 glasses of water. Like a buffet. Also, it's nice to have your favorite condiments/seasoning on hand to make whatever concoction you make up palatable. My personal secret weapon is Srirachi sauce, which works on almost everything, adding a nice flavorful zest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    (Anyone suggesting casein protein has no idea of the dangers associated with that protein.)
    Yeah, you gotta watch out for those amino acids, calcium, phosphorus, and carbohydrates that our bodies need, that are a major part of most cheeses and make up 80% of the protein in cow's milk, which btw people have been eating and living long healthy lives on for a very long time. It's also like 45% of human milk's protein and that mother's milk that our own bodies make must be bad for us too right.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Another idea is to make more than one meals worth of food at a time. Also a good idea to get a lunch box or backpak so you can have a few healthy meals with you while on the go.
    Round and round we go

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Yeah, you gotta watch out for those amino acids, calcium, phosphorus, and carbohydrates that our bodies need, that are a major part of most cheeses and make up 80% of the protein in cow's milk, which btw people have been eating and living long healthy lives on for a very long time. It's also like 45% of human milk's protein and that mother's milk that our own bodies make must be bad for us too right.

The dairy industry loves people like you. They have gotten rich telling you how good dairy products are for you. Just like unleaded gas doesn't work very well in a diesel, cow's milk hasn't worked very well in humans. By the way, have you looked around lately? We don't live long healthy lives. Nearly 80% of Americans are on at least one medication. The drug companies would have you believe that's normal too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    The dairy industry loves people like you. They have gotten rich telling you how good dairy products are for you. Just like unleaded gas doesn't work very well in a diesel, cow's milk hasn't worked very well in humans. By the way, have you looked around lately? We don't live long healthy lives. Nearly 80% of Americans are on at least one medication. The drug companies would have you believe that's normal too.
    I'm more concerned with milk being homogenized or pasteurized than the beneficial proteins that they leave in it. Or the gmos steroids and antibiotics that are fed to cows that for the most part we have no choice or knowledge of. 80% of americans on meds I'd beg to differ also but how bout we share our experience without getting into a flame war and hopefully well into our 80s or 90s which is long enough for me.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Depends on your age too. When i was a teen i was a similar weight and height. If you're past your mid-20's and you haven't fattened up, might be worth seeing a doctor and starting some protein shakes.
    Blur LT & Highball

Laramie, Wyoming
    Meat, I'm not talking at all about homogenization or pasteurization, and I'm not even concerned with all the crap they inject into cows. The nearly 80% number isn't something you can differ with no matter how much you "beg". The studies are telling us that is the number. Harvard did one of the studies at the beginning of this summer. All of the studies put the number between 70 and 80% with over 50% of the American population on multiple medications. My own mother is on 5 different medications for controlling her blood pressure and heart.

Yes, some might be living to be 80 or 90 but a large share of those in that age group are in nursing homes, being stuffed full of medications to the point where they hardly recognize their own children.

In my immediate family I could give you no less than 6 different problems caused by dairy products. Some as severe as Type 1 diabetes. Dairy products are causing serious problems but you won't hear that in this country unless you talk with those doing the research who aren't either being paid by or influenced by the dairy industry.

mtbr member
    Very odd to want to talk about the dangers of dairy without including what we take out of and add to it. Not to mention the amount of conveniences we employ these days that leads to a much less active population. Or all the pollutants and highly modified unnatural environments we live in. Add to that the huge increase in sugar and sugar products and all the other modified foods we eat and there's just too many variables to have an intelligent convo about 1 aspect you claim is the cause.
    Studies? Really? All I can say is that in the circles I travel in that 70-80% medicated statistic isn't even close, even among my older friends and family.
    Round and round we go

Laramie, Wyoming
    Because the dangers of dairy aren't in the chemicals that are taken away or added to it. We don't need calcium or vitamin D fortified milk, we just need to stay away from dairy. We don't need the calcium or the vitamin D or anything else they add to milk. Think about it, it's the dairy industry that has tooted it's own horn about how good dairy is for you, in school, in government programs, and even in the doctor's office.

Who makes the recommendations for how much protein we need and how many servings of dairy we need? Well, mostly agencies supported by the meat, dairy, and sugar industries.

Yes, studies, you must not read medical journals or pay attention to the news. Mayo Clinic, you might have heard of them, released a study in May/June and their findings were that 70% of Americans were taking prescription medication in 2009.

You "travel" in healthy "circles". The rest of America isn't that healthy. I was riding with a pharmacist friend who a week ago mentioned to me, "You know, there are a lot of obese people." He spends 12 hours a day filling prescriptions for what he says is mostly an obese society.

I agree with you concerning sugar. Why has the most recent Food and Nutrition Board increased the recommended daily allowances in the areas of sugar and protein? Why would they give recommendations for "up to 25% of calories" as added sugars? It has nothing to do with what's good for us. It has a lot to do with the influence of three very powerful industries, the meat industry, the dairy industry, and the sugar industry.

mtbr member
    Just about everything has some good and bad, moderation is key. If you want to skip dairy i'm fine with that, but while avoiding the so called dangers, you're also avoiding it's benefits. For the sake of keeping this thread ot and somewhat within the realm of normal, I have to say that dairy is a great and healthy way for most to add protein as well as many other beneficial things to their diet. If you'd like to discuss your fear of dairy further, think we should start another thread.

On a positive note, and since we're on this milk topic, OP, check out squats and milk routine and also check out some before and afters. The 20 rep squat routine is also tried and true.
    Round and round we go

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast